Sanitizing Water jugs

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I'm washing/sanitizing some new Sceptre Water jugs. I put in about 1/2 gallon of city tap water and add a tablespoon or 2 +/- of bleach. Slosh it around, let a little leak out of the threads, caps, and vent. Let it sit about 5 more minutes, shake it all around again, then empty it.
I get a lot of suds. Then I rinse it 3 more times, until no more suds. This has happened to the first 4 jugs. Even one that was previously cleaned, about 4 months ago.

Are the suds normal?

I let the jug sit with the top off for about 1/2 hour to "vent", then fill with water from our Berkey. The water looks nice and clear inside the jug using an LED light. No particular smell.

Thanks in advance

johnspark

Ramblin Man
If you flush a new can with city water you're good.

A fresh Military grade water jug will last 2 years with city water sealed in it.

If you get contaminated water in a jug, simple mild solution of dish soap and a gentle rinse will clean it up.

You do not need to add bleach to city water to keep a years worth of water in a clean sealed container.

Store in a dry and dark area and you're good to go.

City water = Georgia version only. YMMV if you live in Afghaniwahbistateforest......LOL

Last edited:

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I've seen it too, and I wonder if it's from the other chemicals added to the bleach.
I rinse them with water like you did, and haven't ever had an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior