RTT's and wheeling ?

3d fj

Observer
I am in the process of putting together a wheeling/camping trip and it got me wondering. I have a CVT Mt. Rainier tent. When in use, the tent is mounted on the roof of the truck. I started wondering how feasible it would be to wheel with a RTT on top. I would be most afraid of damage to the tent but i guess this would really depend on where i would wheel (open areas i.e. moab vs northeast forests with overhanging branches etc.) The only real safe way i could think of would be to haul a trailer like an m416 or the like, park it with the tent on top at the camp site or wheel with it behind me (enabling camping at different locations while wheeling). So i figured i'd ask the members of expo what they do. What do you do?

bjm206

Adventurer
As long as you know how the tent effects handling/stability and have a feel for when an overhanging branch will be a problem do not let an RTT stop you from going out on trails. I have an RTT on a Ford Excursion. When camping I just bring a small chain saw (or hand saw) along to deal with the bigger branches that cannot be safely pushed out of the way.

toymaster

Explorer
There is no problem going 4x4 with the RTT on top. Just make sure of clearances and how the center of gravity has changed on your vic. I personally go the trailer route and use it for a base camp. Mine is matched with my vic in size, ground clearance, and tires so it can go with me any where my little light jeep can pull it.

Finlay

Triarius
So i figured i'd ask the members of expo what they do. What do you do?

Like you, I also have a CVT Ranier. I leave it attached to the truck when I'm out. Even on a Tony Trail like this :

IMG_1084_small.jpg

Branches aren't a worry - trunks and low trees are - But, then they are anyway.

As for weight - well, I notice it up there, but then the truck weighs ~4500 lbs dry, and since it's a pickup, the CoG is pretty low and the wheelbase is comparatively long. That 100lbs isn't much of a problem. I bet my wife's 4runner would be more squirrely with it - but then the CoG is probably a foot or more higher, too.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Read this. Be very aware of your height clearance. My roof rack is 7'3" at its peak off the ground. With the tent I am at 8'9" off the ground. Even higher if you load the suspension in a dip and pop out of a sand wash and catch a 200 year old half dead tree in Moab! :D

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/85266-RTT-carnage

1645c30c86d92a052fb6b661f4f04e09.jpg

overlander

Expedition Leader
In reference to the clearance issue, my recommendation is to install a long whip antennae on your front bumper that is as tall as your RTT. When you see the antennae start to bend, you know you've exceeded your clearance. It'll save your tent from a good whack.

conifers4

Suburban nomad
In reference to the clearance issue, my recommendation is to install a long whip antennae on your front bumper that is as tall as your RTT. When you see the antennae start to bend, you know you've exceeded your clearance. It'll save your tent from a good whack.

Now that is a practical and inexpensive idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior