Double R Trailer Rebuild

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Man ace that thing looks great. Don't they have any gang bangers in colorado you could sell em to? I bet they might be worth some cash if you recycled them.

Been trying to sell them on Craig's List and a couple of forums but not much interest. Not many gang bangers, or anyone else, wants only two. My best guess is that a set of four would sell for $2800 new, so someone ought to recognize a super bargain selling two for $200.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Got out today and really gave this trailer a test and it passed with flying colors. Went to the White Wash Dunes in Eastern Utah and ran the dunes and cruised up the wash to a dead end with no worries. Only bogged down in the sand a couple of times, not enough speed, and learned just how tricky it can be to back down a steep and soft hill. One guy in our group said he'd never seen an FJ roosting sand while pulling a trailer at speed. Only carried about 250# so running lighter than I normally will when running the backcountry, but then I wouldn't be playing in the dunes.

Ace

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355031149.343956.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1355031182.154268.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Been too damn cold to work in the shop lately but a fix is coming with a new gas furnace. No excuses after that!

fzjeighty

Ace,

Curious if your opinion has changed regarding the need for electric wheel brakes and/or a hand brake. While reader through the comments regarding the Ruger Trailers you seemed to be very adamant about having brakes on the trailer. (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/76058-Ruger-Trailers-Denver?p=1134458#post1134458) From your rebuild photos, it doesn't appear that you've added brakes to the axle, nor is it listed in your future list of mods. I'm considering a trailer and wanted to get my options prioritized. Have you put the brakes on adding brakes to the trailer following your successful test run? Still happy with the choice of springs? I'm considering using a set of leafs off a Tacoma – perhaps I need to remove a leaf to soften them a bit.

STREGA

Explorer
fzjeighty, I don't think Ace's opinon has changed on the need for brakes on a off road trailer, Its probably the fact that its been super cold here lately and his priorities is on skiing and staying warm. :elkgrin: I also believe that off road trailers should have brakes on them.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
fzjeighty, I don't think Ace's opinon has changed on the need for brakes on a off road trailer, Its probably the fact that its been super cold here lately and his priorities is on skiing and staying warm. :elkgrin: I also believe that off road trailers should have brakes on them.

Yep, staying warm is a priority for this old fart! But, no my opinion on the need for brakes on off road trailers is unchanged. At one of the first Overland Expos Mario from A/T trailers demoed a neat way to get around an obstacle by applying the brakes by hand. I was impressed. But in the case of routine driving off road, especially on slick surfaces, it's no fun to watch your trailer trying to pass you. Brakes do their job!

Mine will have brakes real soon.

Ace

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Ace,

Just found this thread. Nice looking trailer - looking forward to watching the rest of your mods...

I hope to see this in person in May.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I am about 99% sure you will see it in May if the creeks don't rise, etc. At my age about anything can happen.

Trailer work is on hold for now until I get a furnace in my shop. Thanks for the compliment.

Ace

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Rebuild now very close to finished except brakes, battery and some little touches. Photo is enroute to Arizona for some fun in the sun.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360386071.745116.jpg

STREGA

Explorer
Saw Ace yesterday before he left town for his trip, the trailer is looking real good especially behind the FJ. Looks like the picture was taken at the Wendys in Fruita, Co. Have fun on the trip buddy but be careful down there.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I maybe headed to Phoenix around the time you are headed North. Maybe you could extend a day or two. Headed to Sedona, then down to Mesa for Senior games cycling. Let me know.

Also, not much into the ice detail you are showing!!!!!!!. Hope it is warmer on the border.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior