Double R Trailer Rebuild

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Just purchased this trailer from an Expo ad. Trailer was a 4x6 ATV trailer custom built by Double R Trailers to owners specs. Frame is 2" square tubing throughout with aluminum diamond plate panels. Tongue runs full length with receiver at rear. RTT is older Hannibal but in good shape. I paid about $1000 less for the complete rig than a top line RTT sells for. Lots of changes planned and they will be detailed here as (re) build progresses. A few changes will be better suspension, more armor to protect corners and fenders, welded rail to mount RTT, rear stabilizers, inbed storage and more. Those 20" wheels/tires are going and RTT has already been turned so ladder is on curb side.

Ace

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351397219.588551.jpg

Last edited:

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Looks cool, But lose those rims.

Maybe you missed it, but my last sentence in the OP says they are going. Actually tomorrow. They are a major turn-off to most in this community and possibly why the seller dropped his price so dramatically to sell the trailer. Now if I can find a serious mall crawler that needs two of these I'll turn a buck.

Ace

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Spring over too?
Matching wheels to the FJ?

Already has spring over but springs are sacked out, rebuild soon and raise the fenders as they are now the "bump stops".

OEM aluminum rims that came on my FJC for now, matching later.

Weighed the bare trailer and got 685# w/o the RTT. With RTT, added armor and gear I'm hoping to keep ready to go weight under 1200#.

On another thread there was discussion of hoists for raising a RTT. I purchased a canoe/kayak lift at Cabelas on sale for $50. A friend spotted the same hoist in Walmart on clearance for $15 so I went down and purchased two of them. Raising one end at a time lifts the RTT nicely. Going to use the Cabelas one for my canoe.

Ace

wingysataday

Adventurer
What a sweet trailer! Must have been a genius who came up with that design hahaha. The rims are pretty funny. I can't wait to see that baby built like it should be! Great buyer ACE is!

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Got my tires and wheels on after a lengthy hassle with wheel locks and studs that would not fit my lug nuts.

Gonna have a local 4x4 shop instal new springs with shocks, armor down low like sliders and stronger fenders. I would like to do it myself but the cost of all the equipment I'd need would be close to or over their estimate. Eventually I will gather the tools as I have done a lot of this kind of work before, even built race trucks many years ago and they didn't break!

Ace

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Took the box mounted on the side off today. That thing sure did not want to come off. It was welded, screwed and glued. Went through a whole cut-off wheel cutting the welds. The hatchet was my persuader!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352706042.244930.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Today took the trailer to a 4x4 shop in Montrose. These guys are real pros. Have built many rigs, mostly Jeeps that had multiple page spreads in the magazines. Photos show a rock buggy under construction as an example of their quality work.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352778633.033764.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352778683.848039.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352778755.324151.jpg
Note frame only tacked for now.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Some shots of my build. Interesting that we took out a rather wimpy 3 leaf spring and replaced with a much stouter 3 leaf for a CJ 5 and it was too soft so replaced the two leaves we had removed. Have not tested that combo yet.

New spring top, old on bottom:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352779846.820061.jpg

New 5 leaf with big urethane bushings and proper shackle:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352779898.173497.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz