Thanksgiving in Moab

5Runner

Adventurer
We are doing something a little different this year for Thanksgiving. We are having it campside in Moab.

Anyone want to show off their creativity and share some Thanksgiving-style recipes for campfire/campside cooking? (NO RV amenities...I'm talking real camping)

I'm thinking that while frying a turkey is a portable cooking device, that it's not environmentally friendly (spilled oil, fire risk, etc.). I'm also thinking that digging hole big enough for a dutch oven is not going to be acceptable in the Moab geology. I'm likely stuck with hot coals in a fire kind of recipes. Or any other creative ideas. We will have portable camp stoves for the more boring side dishes and such.

There will be a number of children on this trip with us, 10 years and younger (well-seasoned expedition children). Yes, we are crazy and it will be cold.

Let's talk food.

brianwj

Observer
I've cooked our thanksgiving turkey on the rotisserie for the last three years and everyone loves it. It gets a nice crisp skin and comes off really moist. Could be done outside over a campfire with a homemade or store bought setup but I would really want something electric to turn it though. I'd like to own one of these someday. http://www.auspitbbq.com/

taugust

Adventurer
Do a search on trash can turkey. You cook it above ground, under an inverted (new) metal trash can. With coals around the base and on top, it works much like a dutch oven. I have seen it done, and it comes out great. You just need a way to stand the turkey up, and keep the coals off the ground. Should be able to come up with something that doesn't require digging.

Got Beer

Observer
I second the trash can turkey. I have done it twice in the backyard and came out great and juicy both times. Lots of info on the web for how to set it up, etc. I used a couple of open beer cans inside the trash can to keep everything moist. Other than carrying a metal trash can out to the campsite, about as easy to set up and cook. In fact, I think I will be doing it again this year but on a trailer camp event. I believe it will be even tastier in the great outdoors.

Enjoy.

Joker

Adventurer
I would rethink the turkey fryer if you have someone in your group that is experienced at doing it otherwise it could have the potential to ruin your trip for the reasons you already mentioned.

Instead of a whole turkey what about just grilling the turkey breast they sell those by themselves and they wouldn't take as long to cook as a whole turkey. Or how about taking a smoker and do a couple of whole chickens.

Adventure IQ

Explorer
+1. Remote locations and mass grease...... Disaster..... We do remote turkey days but do wild game, or one year when I could not hunt, cornish hen and farm raised quail ....in all cases on dutch oven. We have kept the recipie as a holiday only meal that keeps it special

Errant

Explorer
True, you don't need to dig to use your Dutch oven. I did T-Day while camping at Picacho a couple of years ago. I stacked several DO's to cook all the usual stuff (turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, yams, apple cobbler). It was just the two of us, so I did a breast rather than whole turkey. One of my favorite camping trips :)

Errant

Explorer
Oops, just realized you were also looking for recipes. I'm not a big fan of gooey marshmallow covered sweet potatoes, so here's how I do them:

Savory Sweet Potatoes

9 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup honey
3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons walnut oil
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

I throw it all in a hot DO, stir and brown a bit, then cover and let it bake at around 400F until potatoes are soft and honey looks caramelized (about 40min).

This will serve about 12 people.

Nomadllc

Born nomadic
A few years back I deboned a whole turkey and stuffed it with 1lb Italian sausage, stale french bread, and dried fruit. Then I roasted it on a spit over oak wood in the back yard fire pit, as I basted it with pure Vermont maple syrup. I wanted to make a dish that could have been made in the time of the first Thanksgiving. I would say something like that could easily be done while camping.

5Runner

Adventurer
Thanks guys for all the help and idea, guys.

A few years back I deboned a whole turkey and stuffed it with 1lb Italian sausage, stale french bread, and dried fruit. Then I roasted it on a spit over oak wood in the back yard fire pit, as I basted it with pure Vermont maple syrup. I wanted to make a dish that could have been made in the time of the first Thanksgiving. I would say something like that could easily be done while camping.

How do you "debone a whole turkey"? I've never heard of that, but this sounds good.

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
Our family was in Zion last year, I did a 6lb Turkey breast in a ducth oven. Butter, salt, pepper and a Death Valley Pale Ale. Best turkey I have ever had. It won't feed an army but it worked for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior