Tablet vs Laptop

bnoland

Observer
I notice a lot of you seem to prefer a tablet vs a laptop. Is there a reason that it seems you prefer the tablet? I have a Panasonic Toughbook with car dock and a roof mount Globalsat MR350P GPS receiver I plan to use. At the moment I am using it with Microsoft Streets and Trips. Obviously the large size of a laptop can be a pain though I could downsize to a netbook style PC or am seriously considering the Microsoft Surface Pro when it comes out if it is compatible. Are the tablets more reliable as far as coverage and accuracy?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I notice a lot of you seem to prefer a tablet vs a laptop. Is there a reason that it seems you prefer the tablet? I have a Panasonic Toughbook with car dock and a roof mount Globalsat MR350P GPS receiver I plan to use. At the moment I am using it with Microsoft Streets and Trips. Obviously the large size of a laptop can be a pain though I could downsize to a netbook style PC or am seriously considering the Microsoft Surface Pro when it comes out if it is compatible. Are the tablets more reliable as far as coverage and accuracy?
My tablet is fully solid state unlike most laptops which will have hard drives. Fwiw, my past solution was an inexpensive netbook which used an SSD but the keyboard required frequent cleaning due to the amount of dust generated when used off road. Plus the weight of the netbook on its mount was far from ideal.

Yeah the mount could have been better but coupled with the other issues, I felt a netbook was not the best solution and decided to cut my losses and switch.

Here's my tablet mounted in my rig.

I no longer need the Dual xgps-150 bluetooth GPS unit (box with round red circle) because I've recently upgraded to an ipad with an internally integrated gps receiver. I still have the Dual GPS though should I need it in the future. I also carry a handheld Garmin as well as basic compass and maps (boy scout moto: Be Prepared right?).

IMHO there are several key advantages of a tablet versus a laptop/netbook solution...
- cost of a rugged laptop
- the simplicity of a touch interface over a standard mousepad and keyboard for off road use is far superior
- easy to use tablet based Topo/navigation software is also very reasonable when compared to PC equivalents
- all things being equal a tablet weighs significantly less which makes for easier and likely less expensive mounting solution
- the total cost of the solution (device, software, mounting hardware, power conversion, etc) is superior when compared to a laptop that's as rugged using both a solid state hard drive with touch screen interface.

Last edited:

bnoland

Observer
Thanks, I may stick with my CF-72 TB a while then. It is fast enough for my use, has a touch screen, mobile processor, and a basically sealed keyboard. I didn't think about the dirt and rough ride taking a toll on a pc. How is the gps coverage on tablets? I notice my cell phone uses coverage in some areas between Memphis and Chicago, issue with tracking in areas that dont have cell coverage?

thedjjack

Dream it build it
PC for me but I use it for work so I can enter field notes, lots of waypoints, photos, etc. as I go saves time in the office later...I could not live without a full PC and full programs...

My computers seem to hold up fine to lots of abuse...my old one I just replaced was an old toshiba I hard wired straight to the mother board to a lighter plug

I run mostly Oziexplorer, notes in office, and street tips if I need to navigate pavement (not many miles on pavement)

I would like a full laptop with a touch screen...

bnoland

Observer
PC for me but I use it for work so I can enter field notes, lots of waypoints, photos, etc. as I go saves time in the office later...I could not live without a full PC and full programs...

My computers seem to hold up fine to lots of abuse...my old one I just replaced was an old toshiba I hard wired straight to the mother board to a lighter plug

I run mostly Oziexplorer, notes in office, and street tips if I need to navigate pavement (not many miles on pavement)

I would like a full laptop with a touch screen...

How is Oziexplorer? Right now I am running streets and trips 09 right now so I will need to update soon and to something more off road oriented. The touch screen is nice. That's why I got an older one. It is fast enough with enough storage for my needs and didn't kill me on cost like a new toughbook would have done.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Our computers keep gettin better and smaller, but

I'm retired and I have plenty time to abuse my "Viper"-

2012-febshooting009.jpg

I'm kinda rough on my equip. so my Toughbook laptop performs Ok for me and it goes where I take the jeep/boat

I'm not happy with the little "tablets", so I'll just struggle on--

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

bnoland

Observer
Nice, cf-29? What do you use to get gps signal? What kind of mount are you using? If it works out I may have a 2005 Jeep WK in the next week or so for my adventure/expo vehicle. Looking at RAM mounts right now.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, I get my GPS from my TomTom, or Delorme on the laptop-yeah it's a Panasonic CF-29--"Toughbook"-

nightfighter003.jpg

136.jpg

Nice, cf-29? What do you use to get gps signal? What kind of mount are you using? If it works out I may have a 2005 Jeep WK in the next week or so for my adventure/expo vehicle. Looking at RAM mounts right now.

I got the RAM-VB-170-SW1--From NPI--www.ram-mount.com-

It's for my Jeep JKUR and is expensive--mounts to the passenger seat (both) front seat mounting bolts and it's got 5 seperate adjustments--I've gone up/down 50° hill-rocks/w the viper mounted and on/w no position change--it's really a great mount for a laptop and the viper is HEAVY !!
Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

thedjjack

Dream it build it
How is Oziexplorer? Right now I am running streets and trips 09 right now so I will need to update soon and to something more off road oriented. The touch screen is nice. That's why I got an older one. It is fast enough with enough storage for my needs and didn't kill me on cost like a new toughbook would have done.

Ozi works great for me...but you need a good map source. I use the provincial ecology maps which have an ok forest service road file....basically you can turn any photo into a map and this is what I use it for...mostly for work...been using it for years definitely got my $85.00 worth out of it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles