Hiking during winter

M.Bas

Adventurer
I really love hiking and I moved from the as-flat-as-a-country-can-be country of The Netherlands to Norway earlier this year.
So with plenty of mountains in the neigbourhood I did quite a lot of hiking during summer and the fall.
But now winter is coming, or actually it has already arrived, so hiking gets a lot more difficult.
The trails and the snow itself are not the biggest problem, that will be the slippery ice covered rocks beneath the snow.

Most of the conditions aren't severe enough for crampons in my opinion, what do the more experienced winter hikers use to increase the grip on icy surfaces?

In the local stores there are plenty of spiked soles you can mount under your shoes, but by the looks of it those aren't meant to be used in the mountains.
I did find the Icespike on google, does anyone have experience with a solution like that? I do have multiple pairs of hiking boots, so fittings spikes to one pair shoudn't be a problem.

If the snow doesn't call for snowshoes, then I'd suggest a pair of yaktrax. That is if they are available there. They are like springs held onto your shoes/boots with rubber straps and they work great. I've been using them for the past 6 yrs I've lived in Colorado, and I usually replace them once a year. They are relatively inexpensive and work very well on ice. There are some that just use metal cleats on the bottom of your shoe too. Good luck

M.Bas

Adventurer
The Yaktrax Pro should be available in the stores here, and as you said they are quite inexpensive.
I think I'll give them a try.

It sounds to me like you need a pair of MSR Evo Ascent snowshoes. Check them out. I'm on my second pair. They're great on a mix of snow and ice. Don't go cheap and make sure to get ones that have the height adjusters on the rear of the shoes.

snowshoe.jpg

Last edited:

M.Bas

Adventurer
Although those MSR's look awesome, they might be a little bit overkill for the intended purpose :xxrotflma

I went to have a look at those Yaktrax today, but they only had the S-size on stock and I need L-size.
But next to them were Snowline Chainsen Pro hanging.
chainsenpro_M.jpg

chainsenpro.jpg

As you can see they are look pretty similar to the Kahtoola Microspikes.

Since I was quite sceptical about the strength and endurance of the gummibands (sharp rock vs. gummiband usually ends bad for the gummiband) on the Yaktrax I purchased the Snowlines.
Hopefully they weather stays the way it currently is so I can test them out during the weekend.

herm

Adventurer
those look similar to the boot chains we use at work. they work great on ice, but watch your self when on any man made or steel objects as they can catch.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I also recommend these Kahtoola Micro spikes

I have 2 pairs a large for my shoes & an XL for my columbia bugaboots XTM's

you will not be disappointed in any way by them

DSC_1467.jpg

DSC_1468.jpg

& I even hate to admit it I even tried these cheap things before I heard of microspikes
2009_Family243.jpg

Last edited:

M.Bas

Adventurer
I'm just back from a 13.8km hike. They performed fantastic :victory:

I did notice 2 downsides however...
1: They basically suck on non slippery rocks, they are too loose for that. So avoid dry/wet rocks when you can. On almost all other surfaces they are great.
2: They make it way too easy to climb steep snowfields and you only realise halfway up how steep it actually is, followed by the why-did-I-think-this-was-a-good-idea thought :elkgrin:

hikingff77

Adventurer
I had those boots. They were toasty until they failed me on a winter ascent of Mt. Washington in NH. Luckily it was a beautiful weekend and temps were up. Columbia happily replaced them free.

I also recommend these Kahtoola Micro spikes

I have 2 pairs a large for my shoes & an XL for my columbia bugaboots XTM's

you will not be disappointed in any way by them

DSC_1467.jpg

DSC_1468.jpg

& I even hate to admit it I even tried these cheap things before I heard of microspikes
2009_Family243.jpg

M.Bas

Adventurer
I actually bought new shoes this week. Because of the amount of hiking and the range of conditions I'm hiking in I bought 2 pairs.
One of them is crampon compatible (combi binding) and they had Stubai Light Universal crampons on 50% discount so I also bought those with the anti-balling plates.

Micro Spikes (or in my case the Chainsen) work surprisingly well, but I've already reached their limits several times. So it's time to step it up a bit :D

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Dont know what type of terrain you got over there, but I would highly recommend a proper set of crampons (steel over aluminum).
Also, get an ice axe and learn how to use both of these items....
Lastly if you are in an enviroment where you needs both of these items you should also get a helmet.
Be aware that at one point or another you will be moving from a simply hike to actual alpine travel depending on the terrain you are at.

I have hiked in places that in summer are a walk through the park, but during winter with enough ice, snow and ice fall having those items listed above are a must...and it ceases being a walk in the park.
Have fun out there and stay safe !!:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne