Radio/Antenna/Cell Phone Extender recomendations

Jim Oaks

Observer
Hey all,

I belong to a few online communities, but this one seems to have the best knowledge base with it comes to 2-way radio communications. So with that said, I need some input from the members here;

I just bought a used 2012 Ford Expedition, and it comes with the factory center console similar to this photo:

57429394.jpg

I use it for road trips with my wife, as well as towing my 18-foot car trailer.

I'm active with (2) groups. One is a group of offroaders where we rely on CB radios to communicate with each other. The other is a group of police car collectors that use FRS/GMRS frequencies. The police car group also uses 464.500 PL 114.8.

Also, some trips take me to places where I have weak or no cell phone signal.

For background, I'm a retired State Trooper, and my with is an EMT with an ambulance company, so we both have some pretty good basic knowledge on radio systems.

What I'm wanting to do is:

1 - Add a radio that will give me FRS/GMRS and 464.500 PL 114.8 frequencies (I realize I will need a license with the GMRS. Not sure what 464.500 PL 114.8 is going to fall under. 464.500 PL 114.8 is a police car show admin freq.)

2 - Add a CB radio to communicate with people I'm going to trail rides with.

3 - Add a cell phone extender to help get a cell signal in remote areas.

4 - Possibly add a scanner.

5 - I also want to get weather alerts/info, so I want something with weather channels. Might be able to get that in the CB.

I don't want to be cutting up the inside of my Expedition installing radios, and space is limited due to the console. There appears to be a removable plastic panel between the panel the cigarette lighter is in, and the top of the console. If so, I may be able to slide a radio back in there.

The problem is that I don't know what kind of radio to get to operate on the frequencies listed (FRS/GMRS/464.500 PL 114.8). Could I get a UHF ham radio and program these in to it? Is there a reasonably priced radio to look for, or stay away from that I might find on ebay?

Before anyone suggests asking what other police car collectors use, I'll tell you they use whatever radio the agency of the police car used. For me, I have to use a Motorola MCS2000. The original agency used a 800 mhz radio, I'll be using a UHF version that's visually the same, but in the GMRS range.

For the Expedition, I'm more concerned about size and concealment.

Also, I'm looking at the Cobra and Midland 75-822 compact CB radios. With those, I could probably mount it under the seat and hang the mic on the side of the console.

And as far as antenna's, I really done want to drill a bunch of holes. So I'm thinking magnetic mount, or NMO antennas on a trunk lip mount attached to the top of the liftgate (will that work on an aluminum liftgate?), or on a bracket attached to the luggage rack.

So what I need is a recommendation on a reasonably priced UHF radio that could cover the freqs I need, recommendation between the Cobra and Midland compact mobile CB radios, suggestions for a cell phone extender, and antenna recommendations.

Thanks!

4RunAmok

Explorer
I just bought one of these, and am in the process of finishing the install.. I needed an adapter for my Mini-UHF coax to fit the FME on the Wilson.

Booster for multiple users
http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electr...ie=UTF8&qid=1351575530&sr=8-1&keywords=801201
Some folks are saying you'd better keep the phone within 12-18 inches of the interior antenna, so that's no problem, my phone mounts right near it, and I have a headset, and use it as a wifi hotspot.

I replaced the 12" antenna that comes in the package with a Laird 800-1900 Mhz Phantom low profile antenna to fit under my roof rack
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laird-Phant...660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ea6cdd54

And unless you want the same problem I encountered, get the right NMO mount and Coax to begin with...
http://www.amazon.com/AWM-Electroni...ie=UTF8&qid=1351575763&sr=1-3&keywords=901102

As always with accessories in the interior, run a fresh set of power and ground, 8 or 6 gauge, to the battery through the firewall (or to your house battery) and put a 100 amp breaker (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...it-breaker/_/N-2690?itemIdentifier=32368_0_0_) under the hood within 18 inches of the battery, and put a Blue Sea fuse block at the end of the power/ground wires inside the interior, and run all your accessories to it.
http://www.amazon.com/16508-BLUE-50...351575961&sr=1-8&keywords=blue+sea+fuse+block

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I went with the single phone unit for the cheaper price. just heard the wireless option was a little fishy as you had to be with in one foot of the antenna for it to work. I only need one phone at a time when boosting anyways and it works amazing. I work a national park and cell service is very sketchy so the booster is live saver.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electronics-SignalBoost-Booster-Antenna/dp/B0011GI95A/ref=pd_sim_cps_12

As for radios Im not aware of any radio that do all those features from the factory in one. frs/grms is normally on its own setup But I modified my FT-7900 to transmit on both FRS/GRMS any many others your talking about, so you can always just go that option. Its not legal to modify but i dont think anyone cares. just a legal issue with freq waves.

You can see some pictures of my setup in my build in my sig.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
I have the Midland handheld with the mobile adapter you're referring to. It's a great little radio and has the weather bands you need. Shop around and get the full package so you can use it as a handheld also. Takes about 10 seconds to go from mobile to handheld. I think it would be great for a trail spotter.

The difference between the Midland and Cobra is that the Cobra has a small metal box that needs to be mounted in your truck somewhere, whereas the Midland, in mobile mode, doesn't. The Midland's mobile adapter has only 2 connections, coax cable and cigarette lighter plug.

I've owned both, and the Midland is by far a better product.

75822_Lg.jpg

dlichterman

Explorer
I have the Midland handheld with the mobile adapter you're referring to. It's a great little radio and has the weather bands you need. Shop around and get the full package so you can use it as a handheld also. Takes about 10 seconds to go from mobile to handheld. I think it would be great for a trail spotter.

The difference between the Midland and Cobra is that the Cobra has a small metal box that needs to be mounted in your truck somewhere, whereas the Midland, in mobile mode, doesn't. The Midland's mobile adapter has only 2 connections, coax cable and cigarette lighter plug.

75822_Lg.jpg

Damn that's a pretty cool.

Jim Oaks

Observer

75822_Lg.jpg

Thanks. It's nice to get a review from someone who's used both. Would the Midland get as good of range in mobile mode as a normal Midland mobile??

Finlay

Triarius
Thanks. It's nice to get a review from someone who's used both. Would the Midland get as good of range in mobile mode as a normal Midland mobile??

It does OK.

CB is an 11m (36 ft!) wavelength. Any stubby antenna is going to have issues with that - plus the low power output.... You can only do so much.

In mobile use, it's great for a spotter to use - it will reach a couple hundred feet easily. I have one for just that reason. Also, it works great as a backup. When the group leader on one trip had radio trouble, I was able to hook this up and things were good. It's not the best radio out there, but it's decent and reliable. A nice little radio.

But it's not going to win any awards for transmit range or anything, though, especially in mobile form.

4RunAmok

Explorer
I've looked at the phanton antennas. Does anyone know if they have as much range as the taller antennas they replace?

Hi Jim...

Laird boasts what they call 3DbMEG in their phantom, marketing speak for "meets the specs of taller 3DB antennas". We use them all the time in police car applications.

Personally, I am using this antenna because of my rooftop tent/roof rack It must fit beneath it. I may end up buying an NMO version of the Wilson Electronics antenna, just to have for when I don't have the tent, and see if it really makes that much of a difference.

I received the antenna adapter for my coax to fit the Wilson Booster, and I have everything working now, although I have not determined a place for the interior antenna. So no interior pics yet, but here's the exterior!

Photo Oct 31, 6 08 13 PM.jpg
Blurry pic, was running out of light!

Photo Oct 31, 6 08 01 PM.jpg

Initial tests are good, I had 4 bars sitting in the driveway, turned on the unit and it went to 5 bars (full). We'll see how it works when I go somewhere with weaker service!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles