Best, cheapest RTT?

J

JWP58

Anyone have any opinions on the best cheapest roof top tent?

This will be mounted on a rack over my bed, the lighter the better.

J

JWP58

Sure they do. Whats the BEST, lowest price RTT?

I think the BEST, lowest price red dot optic is an Aimpoint Micro. Ya they're $600 but for what you get its amazing.

Should I buy used? What are some good brands?

D

Deleted member 48574

I agree that "cheap" and "best" don't go together.

But, the Best value in an RTT in my opinion is a toss up between Tepui and CVT.

I own the Tepui and have done a ton of research on CVt, and owners of it are pleased. Both tents have good construction for the price, and hold up well (30+ nights in mine -- Tepui Kukenam - since June and no problems).

Also both companies offer excellent customer service for parts and repair if need be.

They are not your 2k South African Canvas model, but then, they are not trying to be. They are great all 'round RTTs that will meet the needs of 90% + of the people likely to buy an RTT in North America.

Regards
Craig

STREGA

Explorer
To me, "best" and "cheapest" do not go together.

And when you add "lighter the better" you are asking for alot. :elkgrin:

The cheapest would be used, preferably close to where you live so it doesn't have to be shipped.

The best is a little more subjective, your own needs will have to determine that.

Since you didn't specify which size RTT you are looking for, weight is harder to advise on, but they all are all around the same when comparing the same size. The lightest ones I have seen are the Autohome Carbon Fiber models but then they kill the cheapest angle.

J

JWP58

Hmmmm apparently I either phrased the question incorrectly, OR some people just dont get it.......

Maybe "BEST VALUE" shouldve been used. Maybe the trendies/yuppies mistook "cheap" for "inferior quality".

I just wanted to know whats the best bang for buck....entry level....ect. No, Im not looking to pay ARB money for a tent (but i also plan to use it, not just take pictures of it...and I dont wear pastel colored t-shirts).

My apologies for the poorly thought out writing in my first post. I'll just forgo expecting anything of substance to come from this thread and spend an hour or two looking on the web to see whats out there. Thanks anyway.

D

Deleted member 48574

JWP58

I believe if you reread my post you'll at least have a head start as I gave you names of two high quality entry level RTTs.

Regards
Craig

wesel123

Explorer
Hate to burst you bubble but the CVT's, Tepui, CTT's (I even think the ARB's) and what not are all made the same. Some may have a different ladder system and color but for the most part the construction is the same. I wouldn't be surprised if they are all made in the same factory in China.

OP, I think you'd be much better served spending a tad extra for a used Eezi Awn, Hannibal or similar higher end brand. If you are opposed to used at least find one of the lower end RTT's that run YKK zippers......your fingers will thank you in the end.

D

Deleted member 48574

Hate to burst you bubble but the CVT's, Tepui, CTT's (I even think the ARB's) and what not are all made the same. Some may have a different ladder system and color but for the most part the construction is the same. I wouldn't be surprised if they are all made in the same factory in China.

OP, I think you'd be much better served spending a tad extra for a used Eezi Awn, Hannibal or similar higher end brand. If you are opposed to used at least find one of the lower end RTT's that run YKK zippers......your fingers will thank you in the end.

No bubble bursting here, friend. All 3 are essentially ARB Simpson 3 tents.

There ARE differences between those 3 brands however, as follows:

Tepui - 3 man does not come with Awning extension. Costs around $1000 bucks CDN.
CVT - does come with Awning. Costs around $1100 CDN.
ARB - awning included. Costs about $1300-1400 CDN.

So despite being virtually the same in terms of construction and materials, there are very tangible differences for the end user -- either in function or in the pocketbook.

Regards
Craig

mike r

Adventurer
watch out around now for good deals, Some like CVT sell their demo tents for great prices.
Also lots of people buy for summer then end up not liking or changing their minds.
Great deals to be had
All the CVT hard top tents are on sale.

squareaffair

i have a cvt, and the quality is decent. it was also the best value given there was a dealer in town so no shipping (this is an even bigger deal being that im in canada). if you are up to doing a bit of hands on work, the moab tent looks like a good deal for what you get. http://compactcampingconcepts.com/moabtentunit.htm
roof top tents are really not a good item to bring up 'cheap', none of them are. if car camping is what you like to do though, it really is fantastic.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I own a CVT. Like it very much, and the quality is very good. For the price you get a great tent with good features and the annex is included. Their support is superb and Bobby backs up what he sells...I like that. I picked mine up locally too (Victoria) so that helped sway me.

This is truly a good time for RTT'S.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
No bubble bursting here, friend. All 3 are essentially ARB Simpson 3 tents.

There ARE differences between those 3 brands however, as follows:

Tepui - 3 man does not come with Awning extension. Costs around $1000 bucks CDN.
CVT - does come with Awning. Costs around $1100 CDN.
ARB - awning included. Costs about $1300-1400 CDN.

So despite being virtually the same in terms of construction and materials, there are very tangible differences for the end user -- either in function or in the pocketbook.

Regards
Craig

I disagree.

The CVT Mt Shasta & Tepui Autana is equivalent in style and appearance to the old ARB Simpson II which was superseded 3+ years ago with a superior model, the Simpson III, then the IIIB and now the IIIC, each more refined than the earlier version. About a year or so after ARB abandoned the SII design, it popped up with <insert your name here> affixed to the side, literally 10+ companies, some offering it as the latest and greatest in RTT products. The awning on the II required guy wires to stay extended (otherwise it is ridiculously noisy in the wind) and had some other general usability issues associated. Don't get me wrong, its a great tent, I spent 100+ nights in the SII but the improvements of the SIII,B & now SIIIC were warranted and the fact ARB refines their products and improves on the design based on user feedback is a selling (both as a seller and a user) point for me. Things like thicker hinges, fiberglass reinforced bows, thicker cover material, thicker shell material, YKK/APEX zippers.

Now, are the CVT & Autana from the same plant as the SII was? That I don't know but what I do know based on personal inspection is that components (zippers, mesh, materials) and general construction technique and quality change a bit from brand to brand and obviously the quality control measures will vary greatly from company to company, you can consult with your preferred vendor accordingly. :D

If interested, I did a mini review on the ARB change from SII to SIII (as well as SIII->IIIB->IIIC)
http://forum.ih8mud.com/cruiser-out...tlight-new-arb-simpson-iii-roof-top-tent.html

From that link:
Why the ARB Simpson III? ARB has always been a leader in innovation, while they by no means were the first to bring Roof-Top-Tents into the mainstream US market they were and are one of the leaders to this day. Look at their product development versus that of the competitors, while ARB is introducing bigger and better model tents, others are just releasing models similar to that of the last. Additionally with ARB you know you have the R&D and product support of a company that is not going anywhere, these tents are tested on a daily basis in the harsh Outback's of Australia and rest assured if areas are found in need of improvement, ARB will do just that. The changes from the Simpson II and Simpson III illustrate this point greatly. Additionally ARB as well as Cruiser Outfitters stock a full variety of tent replacement parts, anything can break, its how its resolved that matters. Most parts for the Simpson III are just a couple of days away.

My 2 cents. :D

D

Deleted member 48574

Cruiser

You may have me there -- I believe you are correct regarding the ARB Simpson 3 vs 2.

However my point still stands -- te ARB name and minor improvements versus the CvT or Tepui might be worth the premium to some, but to others (like myself) the extra money is better spent on other aspects of our rig, thus the Tepui represents better value. However value is a subjective thing.

Thanks though for clearing up my misinformation!

Regards
Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94