THE "CERV" a mini overlander?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
After making a feather rufflling comment I found the Army's new recon concept vehicle, the CERV. Sorry I'm technologically impared, just goggle it.

A dune buggy on steroids, all wheel drive hybird, electric for sneaking around, gas for flying over the desert at 80 mph.

What brought me to this find was a search for the Special Operations dune buggy used for years.

Much talk about a 2wd vs 4wd/AWD, and I made a comment that if a dune buggy gets stuck, just pick up the front end and point it in another direction!

A rail job can have a body added pretty easily. That flat area behind on the CERV might make a bed space, pottie behind the passenger seat and fridge behind the drivers seat, canvas covered top and a hard body below, rack on top or and on the rear provide space for an RTT.

While the CERV isn't in production, looks like an easy build. I recall a guy here that put a VW Type 3 (wagon) on a jeep with some wheel well trimming.

I;m not seeing much interest in custom builds for overlanding, compared to what we use to do in the 60s, probably due to the many platforms available with much less work. But the idea of a small, bullet proof, custom seems to be appealing. Be it 2wd, 4wd or AWD, a realitively inexpensive build seems not only possible but a great way to go.

They won't ride like a G-Wagon, I use to race buggies and my head put a dent in the roof, rode in the VW rail in the Army, but the fun is hard to beat for the money.

The CERV has a great appoach and departure angle with a forward driving position. How would you go about building a specialized vehicle similar to the military scout vehicles? If you have the trim and interior skills, you couldhave a plush, comfortable vehicle, simple mechanics, well supported with parts, very good MPG, quick on the road and off. You'll be looking at light travels, but probably fair capacity for the trade offs.

What do you buggy/overlanding types think? Has anyone built a small, mean, green machine?

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
You can buy one of these, with only 100 kilometers on the clock, right now! They have 75 for sale, here! :Wow1:

These vehicles were supplied to the UK Ministry of Defence by Enhanced Protection Systems (EPS) and have a ballistically protected crew compartment to include floor, doors and front + rear bulkheads

1337164617Springer%201.JPG
1337164704Springer%2011.JPG

You Tube video, here.

EPS Springer ATV 1.1 ton payload, 2 seater left hand drive configuration, 4x2 , fitted Lombardini 1.4 litre diesel engine and 2 speed forward and 2 reverse CVT (Continually variable transmission) with diff lock, rear cargo body with 1 ton payload which tilts manually to give access to engine and gearbox, front load tray with 100kg payload 1.4 ton electric self recovery winch, 2.7 ton rated towing load, heavy duty suspension all round comprising of double wishbone (front) trailing arms (rear) with adjustable dual coilover springs, gas /hydraulic shock absorbers with on board compressor system with load compensators, disk brakes all round, bucket style seats with 4 point safety harness, full instrumentation , to include lights, horn, gauges etc, twin fuel tanks.
Dimensions
Length : 3.4 m
Height : 1.67 m
Width : 1.78 m
Weight : 900 kgs - Unladen

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
WOW! 12K US? Or is that about 25K US?

With armor! I have 6 windows that came out of a bank that are balistic grade, bet I could form a top cab, LOL

However, not sure if that would get tagged in the US, tires don't look too highway happy. But a cool vehicle. I've been away from the military for awhile, so I'm not up what's out there now.

Guess a camper could sit on that bed!

Now, that's what I'm talk'n about!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles