suburban or yukon?

happycowboy

Hi-
We are new here and hoping for some advice. My partner and I would like to do an Alaskan adventure in a couple of years. In the meantime we are also planning on off-road traveling and camping around Colorado where we live.
After much investigation, we are thinking of either a chevy suburban or yukon denali. We have two dogs, and will be hunting and fishing during our treks so will have a fair amount of gear. Thinking an suv tent attached to the back would provide extra room when we need it.
Anyway, we would appreciate advice on whether there are better or worse model years to consider, and whether there is much difference between the yukon, suburban, and z71. I imagine we could simply convert a regular suburban to z71 or better? Right now we are looking at the 2000 - 2004 model years with price range under $8,000 initially, and will do upgrades over time. After we purchase something I suspect the upgrades will lead to a whole other list of questions. My partner is great at many things, tho car/truck mechanics is not one of them!
Great to have found you all.
Thanks much, Sue (and Drew)

goin camping

Explorer
You can sleep in the back of a Suburban. Sometimes when it's raining, snowing or blowing setting up a tent is a long way from fun.

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
A more technical answer - they are essentially the same thing. The Yukon comes in (I think this is the correct nomenclature) XL, which is the GMC version of the Suburban, and Denali is just a trim package, sort of like the Suburbans LT and LS. The differences that I am aware of are cosmetic, except one thing which could be of importance I suppose, and that is the Yukon Denali has a projector headlight, which can be converted to HID correctly, and the Suburban (any Chevy SUV really) has standard Halogens. My vote is find the one for the best price/lowest miles, with the engine and trim package you want.

I'm partial to the GMT800 Suburban, LT with the 8.1l engine... because I have one :D and it's amazing.

i have had a suburban for 5 yrs now and it is probably the best vehicle i could have picked for my family (wife + 4 kids). hauls tons of gear and still hauls us in comfort. you wont regret it if you go that route.

Edited to add: mine is a Z71 (2004). Biggest plus for me with the Z71 trim package is the robust roof rack.

Last edited:

90DROPTOP

Observer
Suburban is my vote aswell I have one, my girlfriend and our 2 dogs (165lbs of them) travel around Texas in it with no problems and plenty of space. The plus side of the suburban is the ability to camp in it if the weather would otherwise prevent a enjoyable camping experience.also includes a 2 burner camp chef stove, large ice chest and box of pots, and the like.l

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
You did not specify if it was a yukon XL or standard yukon. I own a yukon xl and used to have a denali. The biggest difference is going to be the 6.0 and AWD in the denali compared to the 5.3 and selectable 4X4 in the standard suburban.There is no low range transfer case in the denali. You can get the 3/4 ton suburban with the 6.0 though. I liked the 6.0 it had more power and towed better. I also had no problems with the 6.0 engine(it did get about 2 mpg less) I have replaced the intake manifold gaskets and the fuel pump in the last 10k miles on the 5.3. Not hard, but the fuel pump left me stranded 250 miles from home. Other then that it has been a solid SUV. I would buy either one they are almost the same vehicle.
Good luck

digitaldelay

Explorer
A more technical answer - they are essentially the same thing. The Yukon comes in (I think this is the correct nomenclature) XL, which is the GMC version of the Suburban, and Denali is just a trim package, sort of like the Suburbans LT and LS. The differences that I am aware of are cosmetic, except one thing which could be of importance I suppose, and that is the Yukon Denali has a projector headlight, which can be converted to HID correctly, and the Suburban (any Chevy SUV really) has standard Halogens. My vote is find the one for the best price/lowest miles, with the engine and trim package you want.

I'm partial to the GMT800 Suburban, LT with the 8.1l engine... because I have one :D and it's amazing.

I believe the Denali trim is AWD-only (like the Escalade).

Jason

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I'd go 3/4 ton Suburban with an 8.1L big block. Bigger brakes, better rear axle and power to spare. However, the Denali trim level was available on the XL or Suburban wheelbase length. The Denali runs the same 6.0l as the Escalade of the same years. That 6.0 is no slouch either, but you still have a 1/2 ton 8.5 inch c-clip semi-floating rear axle and it only comes in an AWD version. Meaning, no selectable low range. You get more creature comforts standard with a denali, but LT suburbans arean't far behind for comfort.

Z71 Suburbans are the highest of the food chain for trim levels which is pretty much on par with a Denail, but adds the part time 4wd, skid plates and upgraded shocks. Still, I'd go with a 3/4 ton version as the brakes and axles are bigger/better and the suspension in the rear changes from coil springs to leafs for more load capacity. Better foundation to start a build from.

DMT

K7DMT
I recommend a diesel suburban

Hi Sue. I went through a similar process in selecting my vehicle, (but substituting children for dogs) :) My research led me to go with the 6.5L 3/4 ton Turbo Diesel Suburban for the following reasons:

1) The diesel offers superior fuel economy - I'm getting 19-20mpg, whether it is loaded or not, which equates to greater range - 700-750 miles, or more with additional fuel cans on the back carrier hitch. With a 42 gallon tank I love how slowly that fuel gauge moves. However, diesel subs are a rare bird on the streets these days and good ones with relatively low mileage and in good shape are very hard to find. I used crazedlist.org to search a wider area (the entire west coast, Pacific Northwest, Mountain States and Southwest, including Texas) in order to more easily find a Craigslist diesel suburban that met my criteria. Unfortunately, crazedlist.org has been taken down, but I believe you can still access it via http://www.crazedlist.org/loco/, albeit with more difficulty. I found a suitable Diesel Sub in a neighboring state (Washington), drove 5 hours to check it out, drive it, find out its history, etc. It met my criteria so I bought it on the spot (and got it for a song). The 6.5TD has been much maligned for its well-known flaws, which I admit are glaring and serious if left unaddressed. But they can be easily corrected without a lot of fuss and $$. But once they are fixed the 6.5TD will over solid service and excellent fuel economy over many years. And they can haul so much gear! The 3/4 ton makes a lot more sense for the reasons others have mentioned, but if you go with a diesel, I think they were most, if not all, were manufactured in Janesville Wisconsin with the heavier 3/4 components to accommodate the heavier motor.

2) The ability to stretch out and sleep in the vehicle has been mentioned before and I agree, it is a huge advantage. In a downpour or blizzard you will really appreciate being able to stay inside the vehicle. Plus you want to have a minimum of fuss if you are camping for an extended period. You will be on the move and setting up a tent everyday will be a pain. So, removing the third row bench and folding down the 2nd row bench gives you a cavernous space to work with. Cut a sheet of 2 inch of foam or memory foam, lay it down in the back, and cover it with a mattress pad and wool army blanket, and you have comfortable bed for sleeping bags, dog pads, quilts or whatever.

3) That said, you will need to have a large roof rack with some sort of waterproof bag in which which you can stow your gear so that you can all comfortably sleep inside the vehicle. I installed a long plastic tube with end caps (one lockable) to stow fishing poles, dutch oven tripod and other long objects that you want protected, locked away, and out of sight. On the other side you could mount a long capped tube for water supply, as has been mentioned recently on this site. Regarding rooftop tents, I think they are very cool, but I would rather have the space on top for a good long cargo rack for gear, a canoe (which can be packed on top of gear) and use the huge, warmer and more secure interior space for sleeping. Having spent a lot of time in Alaska studying and photographing brown and kodiak bears, I would rather sleep inside a vehicle than in a tent, even a rooftop tent.

Good luck!

DMT

happycowboy

thanks!

Thank you all so much for the advice. Kinda leaning toward the suburban for sure, and perhaps from
~ 1998 - 1999 year model. We like the boxier, slightly vintage look. Will let you know what we find.
Best, Sue

matt s

Explorer
97-99 are kinda the pinnacle years for the body style. All the kinks worked out. Have had and still own that vintage and they just run and run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles