Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

Ray_G

Explorer
Fair enough. I didn't mean to piss in anyone's shoes or anything.

Also in the context of "they don't make them like they used to" I really like my LR3 and would put it up against a D1 on the trail. I really like the D1 too just trying to say it's not all doom and gloom.

I hear ya. I'm a known Dii skeptic (& P38 for that matter). I generally believe that they were necessary to get from the D1/RRC to the L319/L322 platforms which are excellent vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoDavis

Explorer
D3 in most uses will smoke a D1 or like. The magic traction computers are just that, wonderful to behold off road. That said, you run into all the weird issues with sensors, voltage sensitivity, EAS problems, etc., while the older and very simple car kind of just goes.

As Ray says, generally the D1 is roped into the D2/P38 era of horrific issues when it really only shares an interior and body(ish) with the D2.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
DI/Defender with front and rear lockers will smoke the ETC's all day long. Why? Because traction control is reverse ABS, slowing forward progress in the search for traction. Been there, seen them side by side, hill climb fails and successes.

Ray_G

Explorer
DI/Defender with front and rear lockers will smoke the ETC's all day long. Why? Because traction control is reverse ABS, slowing forward progress in the search for traction. Been there, seen them side by side, hill climb fails and successes.

While true, that's an apples to oranges comparison. An out of the box D1 with just a locking CDL vs an LR3 off the floor isn't a fair fight either-and to your point, I've seen plenty of locked/lifted Defenders get walked by comparison from a well driven LR3.

In reality though they are different platforms for different purposes. There is a lot of crossover, but if you are using them for the same thing in the same way then the differences are going to be pretty stark.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
While true, that's an apples to oranges comparison. ......
True, except when your on a Land Rover dealer day trip and the ETC's can't do the broken down granite, loose rock hill climb and you can see them internally grumbling. The locked Defender? Walked right up.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
True, except when your on a Land Rover dealer day trip and the ETC's can't do the broken down granite, loose rock hill climb and you can see them internally grumbling. The locked Defender? Walked right up.

I did say "most uses", between factory configured vehicles I maintain my position. :)

Not everyone has a locked Defender!!!

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I did say "most uses", between factory configured vehicles I maintain my position. :)

Not everyone has a locked Defender!!!

Agreed. Locked DI's / Defenders are few but work very well when called upon. And as you note for "most uses" the ETC's are fine. Personally I said a HD rear locker was a minimum when considering a LR4 after witnessing the "magic" / issues on that dealer trip. I do use my LR4 on Colorado trails and also understand that many don't.

MrWesson

Adventurer
I hear ya. I'm a known Dii skeptic (& P38 for that matter). I generally believe that they were necessary to get from the D1/RRC to the L319/L322 platforms which are excellent vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D3 in most uses will smoke a D1 or like. The magic traction computers are just that, wonderful to behold off road. That said, you run into all the weird issues with sensors, voltage sensitivity, EAS problems, etc., while the older and very simple car kind of just goes.

As Ray says, generally the D1 is roped into the D2/P38 era of horrific issues when it really only shares an interior and body(ish) with the D2.

I'm going to go back on what I said because I remember this being the case D1 vs D2 and lumped them in.

I have an LR3 and know all to well about sensors but that being said it's never disabled the traction control system or EAS(not a problem either way with a Gap tool to clear/disable systems) I paid much less than most other LR3 owners(7k 2 years ago) and use it like a $7,000 vehicle(I bash the crap out of it and don't mind dents/adds character).

I'd bet the LR3 is larger which is nice for dogs(I base this on a guess) and stuff but on the trail I can tell you I wish it was smaller.

I prefer my LR3 but mostly for other reasons besides the off road stuff. It tows like a dream(have a couple boats) with the air suspension and bombs down fire roads where MOST coiled vehicles would break your teeth. I like the interior but like the interior on the older disco's too. 300hp doesn't make it fast but well you know.

I agree with your off road assessment though it's crazy some of the things it can do but its just that.. IT can do it and i'm along for the ride.

Well duh. A locked solid axle vehicle is top tier in off camber situations/most off road.

On a 1000 mile trip who's going to be more comfortable though or a 100 mile off road trip for that matter? They both have advantages. I think a Disco might bridge that gap better than a LR3 for that matter(ive heard the defender rides pretty rough).

What about when something breaks..? I know i'd rather work on an older Disco or Defender... but my annoying sensors/computer tell me exactly what is wrong and where(with a gap tool). Like I said advantages both ways.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
You guys don't get it. The D1 will be remembered for its LR character. No one will remember fondly that the D2 had ETC, or the LR3 has a nicer interior. They don't get credit for being "better" because they damn well should be better a decade later. The Triumph TR4 and TR6, for example, will always be valued for their character and design. Even though the TR7 & TR8 were faster, they were ************* ugly, a slap in the face to those with any taste who admired the previous models.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
You guys don't get it. The D1 will be remembered for its LR character. No one will remember fondly that the D2 had ETC, or the LR3 has a nicer interior. They don't get credit for being "better" because they damn well should be better a decade later. The Triumph TR4 and TR6, for example, will always be valued for their character and design. Even though the TR7 & TR8 were faster, they were ************* ugly, a slap in the face to those with any taste who admired the previous models.

Good point. The TR7 was the best selling model in Triumph history. Found one on jack stands for $700. Bought it, invested a little elbow grease and had it for one summer. One person yelled out "Nice Fiat!" after driving past them. The Disco5 might be Land Rovers "The shape of things to come" day.

As for the TR6 ..... "The Blokiest Bloke's Car Ever Built!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste