Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Good job spoiling us :)

Hope to see it someday with the skinny 215s on it!

Interesting that you are doing only a rear locker. I assume to save stress on the front and because it would rarely be used?
Are you not going to dig into the front differential at all?

expeditionswest said:
Michael,

Thank you for the feedback on airbags. With this discovery, we will end up with a pretty consistent load. I suppose my goal is to favor simplicity and balance with this build. Overall, it will be pretty functional and highly roadable and comfortable on long driving trips.

My intentions were somewhat different in the beginning, but now I am so happy with the Discovery, even stock that I want the build to be quite moderate.

I am spoiling a bit here (as this will come in the Summer issue of Overland Journal), but I have the following items scheduled.

ARB Non-SRS Bumper
Winch (undecided, but I have a feeling I will deviate from my M8000 standard)
OME suspension for about 1.5" lift
215/85 BFG AT on NATO steel wheels and 245/75 BFG MT on TX1 aluminum.
ARB side steps
TJM rear bumper, most likely
Rear drawer system (a new, trick design) with a National Luna fridge
ARB rear locker with GBR axles
Several suspension enhancements including spring retainers and HD steering components. Front axle rebuild, etc.
HID lighting on the front bumper (small)
The biggest AGM battery I can fit in the engine compartment
Icom 706
Factory floor mats
Sandstorm seatcovers
GPS (undecided)
Some cool radio integration for my iPod, yet retains the factory radio.

Some things I have decided against:
Swaybar disconnects
Dual batteries
Front locker
Roof rack

This will be the big phase one. Phase two will be the diesel motor and new transmission, which will probably happen after South America.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
gday2.jpg

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Scott, do you need me to drive up there one weekend and help you get the mods underway? :Mechanic: Just say the word man!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Interesting, why not a roof rack? I understand the perils of being top heavy, are you relying on pulling the Adventure Trailer with it's roof tent?

Scott Brady

Founder
nwoods said:
Interesting, why not a roof rack? I understand the perils of being top heavy, are you relying on pulling the Adventure Trailer with it's roof tent?

Exactly... The beauty of the trailer configuration.

This Disco is about as much simplicity and balance as I can manage.

I have another project that is already in progress that will be my primary expedition rig, so the Disco is about flexibility and balance between trail performance, road performance and reliability. :)

I also don't know if I mentioned this, but one of the things I really like about the Disco is that it is not built to the hilt with huge tires and an endless list of trail mods. As a driver, I have to work harder and that has brought back a lot of the fun for me. My Tacoma and my previous Jeep were so insanely capable that it just became point and shoot. I want the Disco to be more pure, and with an emphasis on recovery capability (i.e., a big winch and an extensive recovery kit).

It is just a different approach that appeals to me at this point.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
As a driver, I have to work harder and that has brought back a lot of the fun for me.
Exactly my response when people ask me why my truck isn't locked up.:clapsmile

silverscout

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
Some things I have decided against:
Dual batteries
Front locker

Why not dual batteries? All too often I've seen a dead battery occur from over winching. What’s the theory behind this decision?

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Currently I run a single Optima Red Top with a high-output alternator, and I winch for greater durations than Scott is likely to see with the Disco. I have a dual-battery tray, and have run dual Optimas before, but even with the frequent, extended winching I do, I have yet to kill a battery through winching. When it gets low, I take a break from winching and charge it a bit.

Scott's philosophy for this rig is very similar to mine on my Series III, in that sometimes it's more fun to get stuck. I found this out several years ago when I bought a bone-stock CJ-7 and took it out on the trail. It made a trail that was a snore for me in my CJ-5 a real challenge. I had to be more conscious of line and speed, and I was more engaged throughout the trip. It was a nice awakening to the capabilities of a stock rig, after years of big/aggressive tires, lockers, and all kinds of aftermarket goodies.

A vehicle extraction is an exercise in problem solving, and one I find to be a lot of fun.

IH8RDS

Explorer
That is the same reason I went with the ARB Lockers. Some days I just want to run open open.

Scott, you might want to consider installing a selectable locker up front. You will not be able to tell its there and has zero effects on streetability when turned off. I would rather have it and not use it then need it and not have it.

Scott Brady

Founder
silverscout said:
Why not dual batteries? All too often I've seen a dead battery occur from over winching. What’s the theory behind this decision?

Weight and complexity, but please do not see my decision to forgo a dual-battery system on this vehicle as a reason not to install one. The spec. for this build just does not call for one IMO.

This vehicle will be used with my Adventure Trailer which has a 240ah battery fitted, and this Disco is also a manual trans, which lends itself to push starting too.

My choice to not fit a dual-battery system in this Discovery is only because of my goals for this truck, which is weight savings and simplicity. On my primary expedition vehicle, it will have three batteries total.

The Discovery will be fitted with a group 31 AGM (most likely), which will give 105ah of reserve. That is significant battery power. All accessories will be connected to a low voltage cut-off to prevent over-discharge.

Scott Brady

Founder
IH8RDS said:
Scott, you might want to consider installing a selectable locker up front. You will not be able to tell its there and has zero effects on streetability when turned off. I would rather have it and not use it then need it and not have it.

I still might at some point, but not as part of the initial build.

This Disco is more about a minimalist approach. Basic functionality in an effort to preserve as much of the road performance as possible and minimize complexity.

Again, there is nothing wrong with putting a selectable locker in the front diff. it is just something I chose to not do for this specification. I do not plan on running any trails harder than 3.0 (intentionally), so a front locker is really not needed.

I have toyed with running the Dusy Ershim trail after the diesel swap, but I still do not think a front locker is necessary for that trail if a good winch is available. Just pull cable and save the drivetrain ;)

Green96D1

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
I still might at some point, but not as part of the initial build.

This Disco is more about a minimalist approach. Basic functionality in an effort to preserve as much of the road performance as possible and minimize complexity.

Again, there is nothing wrong with putting a selectable locker in the front diff. it is just something I chose to not do for this specification. I do not plan on running any trails harder than 3.0 (intentionally), so a front locker is really not needed.

I have toyed with running the Dusy Ershim trail after the diesel swap, but I still do not think a front locker is necessary for that trail if a good winch is available. Just pull cable and save the drivetrain ;)

The Dusy Ershim is a hard trail!. I would love to do that trail but lack of Sliders and a HD frontbumper is keepin me from hitting it!

and I agree with you about the Drivetrain!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste