Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Hurry Scott, lets see it with the new lift, wheels and tires!!!

Congrats on the purchase!

Just out of curiosity where do you plan to get your exterior protection?

JPFreek1

Explorer
Congrats on the beautiful find, Scott! I always get a warm, fuzzy feeling inside when I see those D-Is.

Last edited:

7wt

Expedition Leader
Nice looking buggy, can't wait to see how many dingleberries and doodads you hang on it!

Loras BR

Observer
Wow!!

Will keep my eyes on it!!:clapsmile

Just wondering about the day I will have a Disco too...:wings:

Good luck on the move!!!

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
haven said:
Scott,

Why did you order the steel wheels? Is there some issue with the factory alloys? Did you need a less expensive second set of wheels to mount off-road tires? Or is this a cosmetic change, sort of an "East Africa" look?

Chip Haven

One thing I've dealt with is on trail repair ability. With steel wheels you can pound the wheel if it gets damaged. Not so much with alloys. I just had this discussion with Hltoppr where I told him that I actually prefer split rims for dedicated expedition use as they are much easier to change a tire on to than a standard rim. It is only when people don't know what they are dealing with that they die.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Nice find Scott. I don't know squat about Rovers, but after looking at Centervilles used stuff online, if I had 40K that used Defender 90 would be mine.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
All right!!

What style did you go with, solid or with the vent holes?

What's the word on the tires?

Building the dream!

:wings:

Scott Brady

Founder
I picked up the solid (no holes) Defender wheels, which are 6.5" wide and have a little less off-set, which will bring back some of the stability lost with the lift and taller tires.

They are in stock and available from British Pacific. Nice guys to deal with.

On page six of this catalog:http://www.landroverparts.us/LandRoverDiscovery/disco_cat_pages/disco1cat.pdf

Part number: ANR4636PM

I am not settled on the tires yet. The size will be 235/85 R16, and most likely in the BFG AT tread. But I might go for the MT... Undedided at the moment. :)

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Yeah, they are a really good group of guys, worked with them on many occasions and got the chance to go and pick up a few items from them... A+

Those are pretty much my favorite rims, would like to find that style for the D2.

What are your plans for the interior? Storage shelves, seat removal etc.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Disco Identification for Dummies

What is the difference between the Discovery I and the Discovery II? How do you tell them apart at a glance?

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I play this game with my wife.

The taillights are higher on the DII and smaller in size on the DI.

Front marker lights are larger on the DII.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste