Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

After I posted pictures of my Rovertym thick style bumper I realized how absolutely hideous looking it was, so I cut the brush bar off, painted it and installed Dixon-Bates recover points.

I like this a lot better than the regular RTE, but it is a little slab-sided on the front...

How hard do you think it would be for RTE to angle the front piece a la KVT bumpers? If they left the normal blade, just added an angled section below and tied it into the winch box. I think it would be very aesthically pleasing with RTE strength.

rover4x4

Adventurer
those are bad photos. I was loking at thier slimline today on a Classic, they have potential but still needs some work. I am holding out for a Rockware....

Scott Brady

Founder
Full speed ahead on the last few items for this truck. While its life has been spent mostly ferrying me back and forth from the house and work and a few local trails, I bought it for solo trips in North America. Even two year (can you believe it) of ownership, and I still love this truck. I don't expect anyone else to understand, but this truck has soul, at least for me.

Essentially, there are only three items left, given that I have decided to run the V8 for as long at possible. The diesel is just not a priority for what I am using this truck for.

But, there is a bit of a rush. I only have about a month before Baja, and my appointment with Maria and her mission.

1. Finish Wiring and Installation of the house systems. This is super close, with just a few hours left. I will post some pictures of the solar charge controller, isolator, wiring, etc. soon.

2. Final packing of camping equipment, spares and tools. Installation of a small water tank on the side of the drawer system.

3. Axles. This is the most important and pressing. I am hoping for some help from the gurus here. I have two, rebuilt and regeared (3.90:1) third-members sitting in the shop with ARBs.

Here are the items I think we need to finish the axles up: Any help or feedback would be appreciated!

1. New rear driveshaft to replace Rotoflex. Thinking Tom Woods, to match the front.

2. Front and rear differential housing/cover guards. I am really not a fan of the bolt-on style. Would love to find a set of Mantec covers. I have a friend in France looking. I will also be in England in mid-November, and will try to dig up a set there. I know the sewer caps are bomber, but I just cannot bring myself to putting them on this truck.

3. New brake pads all the way around. I have these from EE. I would really like to do the D90 upgrade. Jack, any feedback on that?
For this, it looks like I need D90 Calipers, Rotors and pads. Is there anything I am missing?
At the same time, I will be removing the ABS components. Has anyone tried to remove the ABS pump and associated brake lines and just run off-of the master cylinder. I am assuming the proportioning is in the MC. That spot is perfect for the compressor. I also have new brake lines from EE. Are there any adapters to the D90 calipers required, or are the plug-and-play.

4. I want to replace all bearings and seals. Are there any suggestions on improved bearings? The bearings in the third member are new. One thing about rover axles is that the seals always leak. Mine are starting to weep a bit. I do remember someone mentioning a better replacement axle seal. Does anyone know the part number?

5. Axles: Ok, I know everyone will likely have an opinion on this. I do want to upgrade the axles in the front and rear axles to something stronger. Great Basin has new axles available, which look nice, and are drop in. Thoughts on these or other suggestions?

Anything else I am missing on the axle rebuild?

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
No adapters needed from what I understand on the d90 brake swap and Will Tillery is running a killer deal on the whole conversion kit right now. I would be jumping on it right now but I have a few others things to tie up on my own truck.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
All you need different from a Disco is the D90 calipers, rotors, pads and hardware. The rears are the same, though when I did mine I did new MC, all 4 calipers and new SS flex lines. I also put new rotors on the rear as well as new hub bearings and RTC3511 double lip hub seals all around.
The hard lines on the front axle are different between Disco and D90. Some people bend the Disco ones to fit, but I made new ones.

The proportioning valve is separate from the MC. Still on my to-do list to remove the ABS.
Here's the ABS disco circuit. "C" is the proportioning valve, and it's the same in ABS and non-ABS (even though the illustration makes it look different, same PN). There's a plug that needs to be removed for it to connect up for non-ABS.
The MC is a different part number but several people have told me they pulled the ABS pump and continued using the original MC with no ill effects.
abs.jpg

Here's the non-ABS (what it will look like when done)
non-abs.jpg

For the hub seal, use RTC3511
RTC3511_loose.jpg

RTC3511.jpg

Pull a front hub flange off and use it to seat the seal to the proper depth.
to-seat-hubseal.jpg

Just tap it in, but it only seats 4mm below the face of the hub so don't push the flange all the way down, leave a bit of a gap.
seating-hubseal.jpg

4mm
hubseal-recess.jpg

Last edited:

muskyman

Explorer
Tom

you could add a cutting brake at that rear junction where the less/ABS system goes from one to two lines and have a really sweet system:D

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
For the rear driveshaft, just get a standard u-jointed shaft. You could get a Tom Woods or just a standard ole' LR shaft and have it rebuilt to be safe. You'll need a new pinion flange, and a spacer (if I remember correctly). I'm sure that Will could set you up will all of the stuff.

Keep in mind that you will want to shim the rear links to optimize the pinion angle to make it parallel to the transfer case output shaft.

Scott Brady

Founder
Interestingly, my "French Connection" sent me this option for the diff. guard. Full weld on

Attachments

• Photo 305.jpg
    Photo 305.jpg
    963.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Photo 299.jpg
    Photo 299.jpg
    940.6 KB · Views: 186

pint

Adventurer
Man I love this rig! Every time I revisit this thread, I begin thinking about Rovers. Never owned one, am scared to own one, but I reallllly want one. I'm stupid, just ask my wife! :sombrero:

J

jeepfreak

Here are the items I think we need to finish the axles up: Any help or feedback would be appreciated!

1. New rear driveshaft to replace Rotoflex. Thinking Tom Woods, to match the front.

My opinion differs from Mike's. I think the stock Land Rover shaft is too wimpy. Sure, it's lighter weight and lighter does not transfer vibrations as bad. The bigger and badder your shaft, the heavier it is, more mass that has to move, and more problems that can go wrong that create vibrations.

But you've already installed a stiffer spring, a stiffer shock, and now you're ready to ditch the roto-flex....so I doubt you're too worried about light vibrations at this point.

Weight aside, I like the 1310 u-joints. Does anyone have a picture with a 1300 u-joint beside a 1310 u-joint? A pic is worth a 1000-words.

Also, you can walk into any parts store in any part of the world and find a 1310 u-joint. Quality of u-joints is another biggie. Spicer no longer makes the 5x-4 (or what ever it was) 1300-series u-joint. If spicer is still making this joint it's not being sold under the Spicer name. Neapco has a joint similar but you have to be careful as to which one you buy; one is "made in China" and is also sold under the Delco brand. To my knowledge there is no superior 1300-series u-joint commonly available.

The 1310-series, on the other hand, is different. Tom Woods sells his own brand of Gold Star u-joints which have been very successful. You can also get a 1310 Spicer joint. These premium joints are not much money, either. You end up with a larger joint with more needle bearings and a larger "chamber" for grease. You also end up with more surface area to dissipate heat when riding between your two catalytic converters and an overall stronger joint.

Besides, if you have 1310's already in the front, why put 1300's in the rear? Keep it simple. Use Green Grease.

2. Front and rear differential housing/cover guards. I am really not a fan of the bolt-on style. Would love to find a set of Mantec covers. I have a friend in France looking. I will also be in England in mid-November, and will try to dig up a set there. I know the sewer caps are bomber, but I just cannot bring myself to putting them on this truck.

Ditch that idea from France. Have the French ever made anything good? Even their wine is so-so.

If that French product kept the diff pan looking totally stock, that would be killer. But it doesn't. You may as well install those sewer caps.

3. New brake pads all the way around. I have these from EE. I would really like to do the D90 upgrade. Jack, any feedback on that?
For this, it looks like I need D90 Calipers, Rotors and pads. Is there anything I am missing?
At the same time, I will be removing the ABS components. Has anyone tried to remove the ABS pump and associated brake lines and just run off-of the master cylinder. I am assuming the proportioning is in the MC. That spot is perfect for the compressor. I also have new brake lines from EE. Are there any adapters to the D90 calipers required, or are the plug-and-play.

Do the D-90 set-up. Sell sperm if you have to in order to justify it. While you're in there do the cutter brakes, too. You'd be the coolest kid on the block.

5. Axles: Ok, I know everyone will likely have an opinion on this. I do want to upgrade the axles in the front and rear axles to something stronger. Great Basin has new axles available, which look nice, and are drop in. Thoughts on these or other suggestions?

Just do it. Great Basin is high as a Graffias's a** when it comes to.......anything. Take Bill's number out of your speed-dial.

Lucky 8 has Ashcroft rear axles, with a warranty, for $388.00. You can't beat that.

Up front, Lucky 8 also has the Ashcroft kit, but the price is less attractive. $1,100 (ouch!). But help is on the way. Rover Track's has a "new" product with a lifetime warranty for the front. I do not know the price of the Rover Track's front end kit, but rumor has it under $800.00. Just a rumor. I spoke with Keith recently and his new kit is about to be released very soon (if not already?).

Anything else I am missing on the axle rebuild?

Ditch the 3.90 gears. You're going to hate them. 4.11:1 are borderline with your tire. 4.75:1's are too much gear. Still, 4.11's are better than 3.90's. Also with 3.90's you're limited to finding replacements. With 4.11's you've got Lucky 8, Ashcroft, KAM, the new Land Rover military gears (did I say that?), GBR, a buddy you know who will let you use his diff to get you home, used gears, etc... Who run's 3.90's? No one, that's who.

One more thing. Drill out your diff breather vent lines to 1/2" and run your lines into the top of the engine compartment. No one makes an off-the-shelf manifold (that I know if), but have one made and run all of your diff breather lines into the manifold. Transmission vent line and all. Then run a single breather line even higher.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Also, you can walk into any parts store in any part of the world and find a 1310 u-joint.
1300 series are commonly available as well.

To my knowledge there is no superior 1300-series u-joint commonly available.
Superior to what? There's nothing at all wrong with the Neapco 1-0005. In fact the argument could be made that it's stronger than the 5-4x that Spicer used to make since it has the zerk in the end cap.

You can also get a 1310 Spicer joint. These premium joints are not much money, either. You end up with a larger joint with more needle bearings and a larger "chamber" for grease. You also end up with more surface area to dissipate heat when riding between your two catalytic converters and an overall stronger joint.
You're reaching.
First, unless the 1310 series has smaller journals or smaller bearings you're not going to have more needle bearings since both the 1310 and 1300 series have a bearing cap OD of 1.063". Well, I suppose the cap wall thickness could be thinner on a 1310.
The 1310 is less that .25" longer so the amount of extra grease is minimal. In any case, completely flushing out the grease every oil change is more important than how much is in the galleries.
The cats on a '95 D1 aren't anywhere near the rear propshaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier