Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Anyone care to elaborate down side of pipe caps? I hear a few no's out there but without reasons why.

-Jeff

Crookthumb

Adventurer
One of the nice thing about the Disco1 is that all you have to do to disable the ABS is pull one 15amp fuse and the system functions as it should. I wouldn't even mess with it. It's just not worth the hassle.

It might be more hassle than it is worth, but has anyone tried and used one of the binnacle switches as a way to activate and deactivate the ABS? I think the cruise control clicker switch would work well for this purpose.

Last edited:

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
It might be more hassle than it is worth, but has anyone tried and used one of the binnacle switches as a way to activate and deactivate the ABS? I think the cruise control clicker switch would work well for this purpose.

Its still too dangerous if you ask me. I had mine kick in twice before I disabled it. Both of those situations were on the street, and not the trail too.

Crookthumb

Adventurer
Yes the ABS does suck, I was just thinking of a way to activate and deactivate it like a traction control switch for those that for whatever reason want to keep the ABS as an option.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Anyone care to elaborate down side of pipe caps? I hear a few no's out there but without reasons why.
More work to install as you need to grind out the inside of the pipe cap some to clear the ring gear. You have to cut off the stamped diff cover and weld on the pipe cap.
You need a modified panhard rod to clear the pipe cap.
Looks is a personal preference so I guess it depends on how much you care what others' opinions are of your vehicle.

Geo14cux

Adventurer
More work to install as you need to grind out the inside of the pipe cap some to clear the ring gear. You have to cut off the stamped diff cover and weld on the pipe cap.
You need a modified panhard rod to clear the pipe cap.
Looks is a personal preference so I guess it depends on how much you care what others' opinions are of your vehicle.

You need a modified panhard rod

not anymore call Keith [AKA Oryctolagus cuniculus boy]

JSQ

Adventurer

This is a terrible idea.
We don't eliminate the ABS because it's ill-suited to fourwheeling.
We pull the fuse because the Disco1 ABS is effing dangerous.

Turning it on and off with a switch would be like playing russian roulette.

Geo14cux

Adventurer
Kick the south end of a north bound jenny!
but get him while he is Bach"n it. with the smell of taco's around he might be distracted.:victory:

Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
You need a modified panhard rod

not anymore call Keith [AKA Oryctolagus cuniculus boy]
I don't see how a stock panhard rod would clear a pipe cap without grinding away a lot of the pipe cap. Or relocating the panhard rod. You have a photo?

JSBriggs

Adventurer
I don't see how a stock panhard rod would clear a pipe cap without grinding away a lot of the pipe cap. Or relocating the panhard rod. You have a photo?

Ive had mine like this for 10 yrs. Stock panhard, no issues.

attachment.php

-Jeff

Attachments

• Front cap detail.jpg
    Front cap detail.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 936

Scott Brady

Founder
I do like the idea of the improved fluid volume.

This week is filled with SEMA prep, but I am going to start bringing in the parts for the third-member swap. I hope to do that the week after SEMA, to allow enough break-in time and testing before the trip to Baja.

Here are a few images from Jack's trip. I am getting excited for my little Disco's first trip to Mexico :costumed-smiley-007

mission07%20001%20396.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

P1010283.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles