Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey Scott are you taking the Disco to SEMA or just the Jeep?
I know last year your clean white build of the Disco got great attention, it would be nice to see it there again this year.

Scott Brady

Founder
Just the Jeep. Though we will be bringing at least one other truck for transport during the week and to get the KTM 950 up there.

Scott Brady

Founder
I am doing some final preparations for my trip to Baja in the Discovery, and have one engine issue that has come-up.

Once the motor warms up a bit, the idle begins to fluctuate, sometimes nearly dying and then raising the idle to compensate. It did die completely on Stephanie the other day, yet restarted and drove ok after, with minor fluctuations in idle. I drove it again yesterday, and the idle was still erratic once warmed up. Anything over idle, and the truck is driving fine, with no stumbling, missing, etc.

MAF?

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
It is likely the stepper motor that is giving you grief. Pull the stepper motor out and clean with carb cleaner and reinstall and see if anything changes.

muskyman

Explorer
I am with mike first place to look is the IAC. Both the actual unit and the vacuum line that controls it.

I would also check the base idle screw because the symtom you are talking about sounds like a leaky base idle screw. After setting base idle I like to fill the hole over the screw with RTV to make sure it's not sucking air.

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks guys. I will check that out once back from "Jolly Old".

I made a call to Columbia Rovers, and the tech indicated the same thing.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
If your IAC is bad the Delco 217-437 fits the '95 Disco. Don't know how the prices compare but it's an option.

muskyman

Explorer
Ya, I think it's out of an astro van or something... $65 at Napa IIRC.

I just bought one today for a 1991 RRC from autozone part #AC102 $23.99

the exact same part from Autozone if you look up the rover $199.99 :Wow1:

I have installed a number of these into the the early trucks and they work perfect.

Crookthumb

Adventurer
I had a similar issue about a year ago. On mine the RPMs would fluctuate sporadically at idle and while driving. I was thinking bad gas because I bought some from a cheap gas station. It threw a code and I ended up cleaning the MAF sensors with carb cleaner. That took care of it. I believe the K&N to be the culprit.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
In the K&N's defense, MAF's go bad all the time on all makes and models. The K&N may have been coincidental.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
After reading K&N's air filter warranty I don't think there's anything you can use in their defense. If you use your vehicle off-road it voids the warranty, even for the filters they make for dirt bikes.
Basically they are saying, "If you use our filter for the application it's specified for, the warranty is void."

Photog

Explorer
...................... It threw a code and I ended up cleaning the MAF sensors with carb cleaner. That took care of it. I believe the K&N to be the culprit.

The reference to K&N did not say it damaged the MAF sensor. The oil from the K&N or the extra dirt allowed to pass through it, mucked up the MAF. All Skyler (Crookthumb) did to fix it was to clean the MAF with carb cleaner.

It is a fine balance between too much oil & not enoough, on a K&N filter.

Crookthumb

Adventurer
I never said it killed the MAF I just said it was getting bad readings. I cleaned it and the problem was taken care of for the time being. I just make sure that whenever I do an oil change or clean the filter that I clean the sensors. Nothing was damaged or replaced just cleaned.

I do have a Mantec raised air intake to help cut down on the amount of dirt being sucked into the airbox, and like stated before it could be a mixture of over oiling it or the K&N might be allowing too much through. I have heard others that have had problems with contaminating, not killing, MAFs while using K&Ns as well, so this lead me to believe that the K&N might be the culprit. I am not bashing K&Ns just saying clean the MAF.

Now let's not make this into a 5 page debate. I was simply stating for Scott that I had a similar issue to the fluttering idle. I cleaned my MAF with carb cleaner and that took care of the problem for the time being for me. That might not even be the cause of his problem. He might not have a K&N.

So Scott have you been able to remedy your problem?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles