Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

lowenbrau

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
I have both (12 Gauge double though)... Meet me in Colorado and we will trade (bring the BJ74).

Hmmm...

Meet Scott in Colorado = good
Bring the BJ74 = good
trade = :oops:

There are likely a lot of shotguns out there worth what I have in the BJ74 but I'd be afraid to touch them.

bovw

Explorer
lowenbrau said:
There are likely a lot of shotguns out there worth what I have in the BJ74 but I'd be afraid to touch them.
Plus it's a heck of a lot easier to find a shotgun than a BJ74

Scott Brady

Founder
Updates...

I am working on the Chaser, adding the Espar water heater and air heater, and some other goodies. That will take me about another week.

Then, I am on the Disco project, full steam. As of now, it sits just as stock as the day I got it. I have boxes of steel wheels and suspension sitting in the garage.

I have been wheeling it though! Snow, mountains, desert. It is extremely impressive in stock form, which further inspires me to keep the build moderate.

Over the next few weeks, I will be talking with "experts in the field" about building the Disco, weaknesses, etc. The basic specification is to retain the excellent road manners while increasing the trail performance and body protection

Roseann spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel, as did Jonathan. Maybe they will chime in with some comments.

disco.jpg

disco1.jpg

disco3.jpg

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Dang, how'd you get your vanity plate so quickly? Takes CA like 4-5 months for ours... Ca, bunch slow pokes. Another reason to love AZ.

Scott Brady

Founder
SOCALFJ said:
Dang, how'd you get your vanity plate so quickly? Takes CA like 4-5 months for ours... Ca, bunch slow pokes. Another reason to love AZ.

Already had it... From the Jeep. AZ is so easy to change things around.

viatierra

Explorer
This weekend I spent some time behind the wheel of a 96 D1 with 35" monster tires. It was fun in a cartoonish sort of way, but not at all necessary to make a sweet trail rig. Looking foward to see how far you go with this one!

Green96D1

Explorer
looking good Scott

That's one of the best things about Discoveries they flex really good in standard form.

I would love to see where it goes from here.

Scott Brady

Founder
bigreen505 said:
Scott, how do the Disco and Trooper stack up on road and off?

Hmmm...

Trooper

Pros:
Much more cargo capacity
Factory LSD
Great motor (i.e. 30 more hp and very responsive)
It has been flawless for over 100,000 miles. Just recently having a few issues.
Built like a tank (drivetrain)

Cons:
Limited front end flex
No uber cool factor

Land Rover

Pros:
Exceptional visibility
Exceptional driver position
Manual trans
3.3:1 low range
surprising low speed stability
Smooth torque delivery
Rover coolness
Great road ride
Extremely maneuverable

Cons:
No traction devise stock
Limited rear storage
Driveline wind-up
Limited high-speed trail stability due to wheelbase

In stock form, the Trooper has the advantage from larger tires (265/75 R16 stock) and a good rear LSD. However, that is purely empirical, and looses all of the "roverness" the Disco has. It is just something that must be experienced. I know it sounds goofy, but not to another Rover owner. It is very tangible how the vehicle as a system engages and compliments a driver with a certain driving method. "as slow as possible, as fast as necessary"

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
However, that is purely empirical, and looses all of the "roverness" the Disco has. It is just something that must be experienced. I know it sounds goofy, but not to another Rover owner.

No, that makes sense. I love the Trooper, but it was a consolation prize because the Rover world didn't quite work out. Never drove it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles