Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

Scott Brady

Founder
600 miles home and she drove like a dream. Centerville Land Rover was great to deal with. Straight forward and even double-checked everything (spare, tools, etc.) before I hit the road.

The Disco is extremely clean, and the inside is within 10% of new. Exterior was one minor ding in the rear 1/4.

Here she is... The entire build will be featured in Overland Journal

Essentially, the build will come over three parts:
1. Suspension, tires and wheels. Electronics and power
2. Camp systems and storage
3. Armor and recovery. Traction and trail considerations

I really like it :)

limited_DOF_Quarter.JPG

Expeditions_West_Discovery.JPG

Discovery_quarter_view.JPG

Land_Rover_Discovery_I.JPG

First_Dirt.JPG

haven

Expedition Leader
steelies

Scott,

Why did you order the steel wheels? Is there some issue with the factory alloys? Did you need a less expensive second set of wheels to mount off-road tires? Or is this a cosmetic change, sort of an "East Africa" look?

Chip Haven

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Very nice. It would be interesting to see the budget of the build as well. One thing that alot of people fail to include in their builds, likely due to not keep track of expenses over the years, is total cost of the build. The $ might be helpful for those who are pondering a similar buildup.

Scott Brady

Founder
haven said:
Scott,

Why did you order the steel wheels? Is there some issue with the factory alloys? Did you need a less expensive second set of wheels to mount off-road tires? Or is this a cosmetic change, sort of an "East Africa" look?

Chip Haven

Mostly a cosmetic change - to understate the vehicle a little more. I want this Rover to come back to it's roots (legacy) as much as possible.

I will also most likely have a road wheel set and a trail set.

Scott Brady

Founder
upcruiser said:
Very nice. It would be interesting to see the budget of the build as well. One thing that a lot of people fail to include in their builds, likely due to not keep track of expenses over the years, is total cost of the build. The $ might be helpful for those who are pondering a similar buildup.

I do plan on that. One of the main reasons I purchased this vehicle is the whole concept of buying "pinnacle" vehicles. Buy the vehicles that were at the pinnacle of trail performance and robustness, yet also had fuel injection and 70 mph road stability. But also buying just before the ridiculous luxo SUV phase, where everything is over-complicated and electronic.

I believe (just IMHO) that the Defender, Disco I, FZJ80, Trooper, Gen. 1 Tacoma and early 90's Truck, all of the EFI 4Runners to 2003, and maybe a few others (like the Jeep Cherokee) represent that. The vehicles were still built with the concept of utility, before the soccer mom killed the whole segments usefullness.

I will still build modern platforms, but will likely wait until a diesel is available.

It will almost certainly be a 4-door, long bed Tacoma or the JK Unlimited.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I enjoy your build threads almost as much as your trip reports. Looking foward to seeing what you've got cooking. Your Disco lessons, if you will. ;)

White, because it makes for a better base color when shot with Camel Trophy Yellow? :26_16_2:

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
kcowyo said:
White, because it makes for a better base color when shot with Camel Trophy Yellow? :26_16_2:

********!!! ...and I thought I was the only person thinking that:)

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Scott pulls a set of brand new Michellin XZLs out of thin air!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste