Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

Green96D1

Explorer
its a clean truck (body wise) and it is a 5spd with a 3.9 V8 which is preferred over a 4.0 V8 GEMS and auto. but its not worth no 8K That truck at best is a 1200-1500 disco depending on how you look at it!

Ray_G

Explorer
its a clean truck (body wise) and it is a 5spd with a 3.9 V8 which is preferred over a 4.0 V8 GEMS and auto. but its not worth no 8K That truck at best is a 1200-1500 disco depending on how you look at it!

Having had both 3.9 and 4.0 with 5 speeds...I'm happier with GEMS. Concur on the value, though I can see it going for ~$3k these days. Clean D1's are slowly becoming like decent RRC's as the numbers start thinning more and more (and people start realizing the relative simplicity of them is rather desirable...something I think many of us learned awhile ago).
r-
Ray

I'm glad you and your family are ok. I know the truck is sentimental but its easier to find a new Discovery as opposed to a new family.

Thanks! Very true, and to be honest I got 200k+ miles out of him and only ever did oil changes, and had to replace the ignition once. One owner too.

Scott Brady

Founder
Took her out for a Sunday drive and a little field time.

image.jpg

With the G-Wagon back on the road, I have some restoration plans and full service scheduled for the Disco

High Center

Adventurer
That....is a great pic.

I've been spending time with my "heavy hauler" lately (new acquisition) to the exclusion of my D1. Yesterday I took my wife and kids to town, taking the "interesting way"- which involves about a half mile of grille depth swamp and foul black ooze. Typical of my Disco it never faltered and carried my smiling son and squealing girls back to the hard surface road where it immediately transitioned to a comfortable, (if not filthy) family vehicle.

I love these trucks.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Took her out for a Sunday drive and a little field time.

View attachment 223447

With the G-Wagon back on the road, I have some restoration plans and full service scheduled for the Disco

Awesome picture... What are you shooting there??? Almost looks like a Savage BA or a Modded SR25-style gun maybe... Can't see the grip/stock enough to harbor any more guesses.

Trucks looking awesome too mate, the stance/wheel/tires with the classic white body against black racks/bumpers just look perfect. Just plain classic and classy. Sounds like she'll get some servicing love and be on the road for many more miles to come.

Cheers

Dave

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott - did you ever remove or disable the ABS brake system? If so, do you mind letting us know what you did? Thanks!

Sorry I missed a few questions here. Have been traveling a bit.

Yes, and the solution was pretty simple. Install a relay between the power cable of the ABS pump and the positive cable. I installed a switch on the left switch column (by the steering wheel). Switch on = ABS on. Switch off = ABS off. In reality, I keep it off almost exclusively. Worst ABS system EVER!

Scott Brady

Founder
Awesome picture... What are you shooting there??? Almost looks like a Savage BA or a Modded SR25-style gun maybe... Can't see the grip/stock enough to harbor any more guesses.

Trucks looking awesome too mate, the stance/wheel/tires with the classic white body against black racks/bumpers just look perfect. Just plain classic and classy. Sounds like she'll get some servicing love and be on the road for many more miles to come.

Thanks Dave. Brian and I bought a pair of TAC21 bolt rifles. His being .308 and mine being .338.

Appreciate the compliments on the Discovery. That has been the most difficult lesson - doing LESS to the truck than more. In fact, I have pulled so much stuff off it, that I just bought a lighter suspension load rating coils (although I am keeping the stiffer shocks, as I do not run any swaybars). OME mediums front a rear.

Still need to buy some XZLs. Not because they are a good choice, just something I have always wanted to run on this truck. Will add to the funk factor.

Scott Brady

Founder
Now that my travel schedule has lightened up (for a few months), I am finishing up a few of the vehicles, starting with the Discovery (being favorite has privileges).

First, I took everything out of the cargo area- everything. I removed the drawer system, water tank, fridge, everything. Gave it a good clean and vacuum.
IMG_7258.JPG

Installed a brand new NOS Land Rover Genuine load area mat.
IMG_7262.JPG

I also found the last new in box Discovery dog guard and load barrier. I needed to buy a nut insert tool (for the M6 insert), but will install the guard this week.
IMG_7259.JPG

I dusted off my original spare wheel cover, and mounted her up. I like the funk factor of the original cover.
IMG_7261.JPG

Also installing a factory tread plate on the HD steel rear bumper. Fits like factory.
IMG_7263.JPG

Immediate plans are to swap the wheels for factory Discovery steel wheels. I found a set of four in California and am having them picked up this week. I will get them sand blasted and re powder coated. I thought about going back to the Castor wheels, but this SD could have also been delivered with the steel wheels, and I like the simplicity and understated look of the steels. I am going to install some stock looking Michelins on these, probably in the 245/75 size again. Then, I am going to sell a kidney to get a set of XZLs for the current black, solid Land Rover steel wheel.
10458969_10152940294063275_6492784261606826160_o.jpg

I also need to install the lighter rating coils. With all this weight removed, it rides super stiff.

And to make sure the Discovery is not too lonely, she is getting a friend this week. They are the same age too. . . Looking forward to driving her from Houston to Prescott along Route 66.
1233321_10153200180938275_3627651376030442616_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior