Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

Scott Brady

Founder
A few action shots. Fun to just drive it now. Off to Flat Iron Mesa tomorrow.

Disco_Moab_1.jpg

Disco_Moab_2.jpg

Disco_Moab_3.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
A few more shots from testing in Moab. Overall, the truck is driving well, and has been a joy to cruise in on this trip. I have identified a few areas for improvement.

1. The rear suspension needs about 1" additional height, as once it gets loaded down, it sits barely at level. I like the spring rate with the load, so either longer springs or possibly a spacer. Any suggestions?

2. I need to find a way to carry a little more fuel. Something in the 4-5 gallon range. These darn diesel defenders I am traveling with have considerably longer range than I do.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I still need to strengthen the ARB front bumper. Seeing the other Disco bumpers at the rally showed the limits of the wing strength (as was mentioned earlier in this thread).

1 - It really sucks the fuel off-road doesn't it Scott! You've had a peek at Graham's extra fuel tank, right?

That seems the best idea to me.

2 - Which rear springs did you end up with? The OME HDs work for me....though remember that the Camel vehicles ran dual rear spring (one inside the other) setups....or the old standby...airbags inside the springs and vary the pressure per the load.

3 - ??? got me there. I've still got the ancient SG bumpers f/r.

Glad you guys had good weather. It looked cloudy flying over :(

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
If you have suitable spring compression left, why not go with a spacer? You might have a bit of rake unloaded but the only way to avoid that would be airbags. Rob at MIT in Evergreen, CO makes some nice billet 1" spacers for D1's, not to mention he is a great guy too. I am thinking of getting a set for my D1.

http://www.mitautomotive.com/

Scott Brady

Founder
I am certainly open to the spacer idea, but would like some feedback from those who have used them. Seems robust enough.

I have 762s in the rear.

Wander

Expedition Leader
Is the problem clearence when its laden or that the rear sags when laden? If it's the latter than air bags will allow you to keep the ride height but not require a kidney belt when it's not loaded down. If it's clearence that is the problem maybe a taller wheel/tire combo-like some Wolf's. It looks like you could fit some more tire under it.

As for extra fuel, any room for something like a series tank under there? If that's too tall maybe you could have one cut down?

Scott Brady

Founder
With a full load, the spring compression is only about 1" from daily loads. Even with general daily loads, the rear is barely level with the front. It is really a spring length issue, not a rate issue IMO. Loaded, the ride is spot on, especially with the new OME Sports.

I can see the advantage of airbags, but would prefer avoiding the complexity if possible.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Scott, I use 1.5" spacers with the 762s. I also use the 2" lowered shock mounts to compensate for the taller setup. It is a nice combination. It isn't horrible unloaded, and it's fine when loaded. I've thought about 763s and readjusting the spacer height, but I've other projects to finish first.

benlittle

Adventurer
I am certainly open to the spacer idea, but would like some feedback from those who have used them. Seems robust enough.

I have 762s in the rear.

I currently run 3in HD RTE springs with the rubber iso's top and bottom (rear)with a 1/2in aluminum spacer EDIT: ALso retained top/bottom EE retainers, stock shock mount with longer OME's. Works very well.

Last edited:

JSQ

Adventurer
OME 763s and 764s. Disco2 rubber shock tower isolators in front on top, LR spring isolator on the bottom. LR spring isolators top and bottom in the rear with a 1" spacer and retainers top and bottom. Lowered shock mounts or a long shock in the rear.

This set-up breaks in really nicely and has tons of load capacity. It also runs well without sway bars.
Expect about 3"+ of lift front and rear.

It's nothing radical or cutting edge, but it is trail proven.

muskyman

Explorer
OME 763s and 764s. Disco2 rubber shock tower isolators in front on top, LR spring isolator on the bottom. LR spring isolators top and bottom in the rear with a 1" spacer and retainers top and bottom. Lowered shock mounts or a long shock in the rear.

This set-up breaks in really nicely and has tons of load capacity. It also runs well without sway bars.
Expect about 3"+ of lift front and rear.

It's nothing radical or cutting edge, but it is trail proven.

I ran this set up for a long time before going to what I run now, what a great set up!

If I started over on a D1 I would go back to this set up.

Scott Brady

Founder
I am going to try some 1" spacers to start.

One of the best modifications I performed to the suspension was the spring retainers from EE. With the sport shocks and the sway bars removed, the suspension is nicely balanced and stable on the trail, with minimal pitch or sway, yet it still handles nicely at speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles