Silverado's Thread

What modification would you like to do next?

• Total voters

Walker

Texas Wanderer
Thought we could share some our ideas, modifications, trips and thoughts on our fantastic Silverado's as well as sharing some pics...

Moab, Utah 2011
Moab004.jpg

Moab006.jpg

I am currently working on a couple modifications, first the on going dual battery/winch connection. Secondly, I recently had some rock sliders fab'd up from a local welder. I'll shoot some pics and keep both of them updated.

Last edited:

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
Dig it man! Question for ya, how's the IFS doing out there? I have a 3/4T Suburban ('03) that I want to setup for a bit of Moab exploration, and I've heard lots of horror stories.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I like:Wow1: your Chevy Walker. Thanks for posting those cool pics.... Cheers, Chilli..:ylsmoke:

Walker

Texas Wanderer
Well thanks Chilli, appreciate that. Here are some quick pics from the last couple of weekend projects.

Dual battery with Optima Red and Yellow Top batteries 34/78 and a Perfect Switch Power Gate Dual Rectifier nearly 12 feet 1/0 welding cable.

2006SilveradoZ71008.jpg

2006SilveradoZ71007.jpg

2006SilveradoZ71005.jpg

2006SilveradoZ71003.jpg

Rock sliders

2006SilveradoZ71009.jpg

2006SilveradoZ71010.jpg

2006SilveradoZ71011-1.jpg

2006SilveradoZ71012.jpg

Walker

Texas Wanderer
Dig it man! Question for ya, how's the IFS doing out there? I have a 3/4T Suburban ('03) that I want to setup for a bit of Moab exploration, and I've heard lots of horror stories.

I really cant answer that without having more information, however if you're a hardcore wheeler I would think a solid front axle would be more up your alley. Now on the other hand, if you need your vehicle to get from point A to point B in Moab, or anywhere else I believe your IFS will get you there without problem.

Plus as a daily driver you really cant beat an IFS, in my opinion. Hope this helps...

02TahoeMD

Explorer
VERY nice rig. Me like! Your battery tie downs are pretty cool looking. Where did you get your rock sliders from? I like how close they fit on the body. Nice job on the air system, the only thing I would change on it would be to put the air outlet chuck somewhere so you don't have to reach under the rig to use them.

I also agree with your opinion on IFS. It is fine for everyday travel and can definitely be used to get you from point A to B when traveling out West. By no means mandatory that one do a SAS to do your travels.

Great work!

Walker

Texas Wanderer
VERY Nice job on the air system, the only thing I would change on it would be to put the air outlet chuck somewhere so you don't have to reach under the rig to use them.

Great work!

Thanks, I certainly agree with on the air chucks. I thought they were sweet locations, but have found that they really need to be somewhere I can get at them easier. I think I will relocate them when I install the train horn...

The battery boxes came from here: www.ballisticfabrication.com As for my rock sliders I had them fab'd here locally.

Thanks again

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Nice Silvy Walker! Great execution of mods to this rare truck you have. Bonus that it has a manual shift transfercase too boot as well as the 5.5 ft bed! That manual shift is rare and almost unheard of on an LT truck. Is that true LT or an LS? Either way, manual shift tcases are hard to come by and the only way to own them!

Here is my old ’05 that I bought in ’09 as a dirt cheap basket case fresh off an Indian Reservation in NM. Fixed it and flipped it in 2011. The proceeds from this project got me the Polar Bear Suburban to fix…and probably not flip.
5305413442_25e01e273c_z.jpg

5304819893_8814859c31_z.jpg

My other Silverado that I bought new and still have. In 11 years, I’ve only racked up 55,000 miles on this one. Pretty much a garage queen.
5258492690_b82b4f3cd6_z.jpg

Not bad for 11 year old interior!
5258494792_dd50f9558e_z.jpg

Walker

Texas Wanderer
Nice, I remember these trucks from earlier posts. Both are in great shape, really like the 05 front bumper... So what do you plan on doing next?

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Nice, I remember these trucks from earlier posts. Both are in great shape, really like the 05 front bumper... So what do you plan on doing next?

As far as a vehicle to fix and flip? Not sure, until one pops up and grabs my attention. No mods planned to the Pewterpuff 2001 Silverado HD. Keeping that one bone stock other than I may have the extra ECM that is laying around the garage sent off to be tuned to unleash the stock neutered 8.1L calibrations. A stock 8.1L doesn’t run nearly as well as the tuned 8.1L in my K10 does. They run like two totally different engines.

General Automag

Adventurer
Thought we could share some our ideas, modifications, trips and thoughts on our fantastic Silverado's as well as sharing some pics...

Moab, Utah 2011
Moab004.jpg

Moab006.jpg

I am currently working on a couple modifications, first the on going dual battery/winch connection. Secondly, I recently had some rock sliders fab'd up from a local welder. I'll shoot some pics and keep both of them updated.

What type of racks do you have? For the rack over the cab, how did you attach the mounts, and what mounts did you use? Did you have to drill through the top of the cab or do they fit in the rain gutter part of the roof?

Walker

Texas Wanderer
What type of racks do you have? For the rack over the cab, how did you attach the mounts, and what mounts did you use? Did you have to drill through the top of the cab or do they fit in the rain gutter part of the roof?

General Automag they are Yakima Roof Racks www.rackattack.com I drilled (5) 1/4 holes on the left and right side of the cabs roof. I installed the rails and then Yakima Towers which can be removed easily enough anytime I wish, hope this helps.

BTW, I had Gutter Towers and simply annoyed me with their constant whistling when driving down the Highway.

Silverado005.jpg

Silverado013.jpg

Silverado014.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste