Trailer for the wife

Firehawkclone

Adventurer
I just picked up what I believe to be a 1949 bantam trailer. I haven't found a nomenclature plate yet. I can pack everything on the ZJ when the wife and two dogs(boxers) go, it's just a pita to pack and unpack all the extra comforts for them. So my research begins on it. I'll need/want to change the tongue length, and the height, along with putting it to 5/4.5 bolt pattern. Later will come the water tank, battery's ect ect. No rtt for me.

Any helpful tips would be much appericiated.

DAE3B8B0-966D-4B2A-BCE8-2899F03539AA-39889-000007F6C0915CC6.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Nice trailer! I have one very similar that I use for around the property duty and occasionally when on owrk groups on local trails. Incredibly durable. Even so, we picked up a pop up camper to use for camping, which I wish we had not, but my wife loves it... so you know how that goes...

Good luck on your project. I will be watching for ideas.

John

Firehawkclone

Adventurer
Nice trailer! I have one very similar that I use for around the property duty and occasionally when on owrk groups on local trails. Incredibly durable. Even so, we picked up a pop up camper to use for camping, which I wish we had not, but my wife loves it... so you know how that goes...

Good luck on your project. I will be watching for ideas.

John

Thank you John

My wife doesn't complain very much. I'm fortunate to been married to her for 25yrs. Here's a story for you. We are in Death Valley, it's 105+ and the heep is overheating. So to keep it cooler I'm running the heater. Not one complaint from her.

The trailer is really to make life easier for me, since she can't pull anything from the roof rack.

Firehawkclone

Adventurer
Well I found a crack in the frame at the front spring shackle. It will be an easy fix. I need to start taking measurements for the tongue, so I can still open the tire swing. I kinda feel bad about cutting the front of this trailer up. I don't know why! Can the max coupler be ran all the time? Or do I need to build a reciever setup on the trailer to change out hitches?

I did a little research on flipping the axle. There doesn't seem to be any concrete answer if this axle has a bend in it. I'm hoping SOA will get 33" km2 under it and the tongue level.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Firehawkclone,

Sounds like you got a keeper, Wife and trailer! I keep telling my Wife, the Deuce was for her. I don't think she's buying it. Look forward to see what you build.

Firehawkclone

Adventurer
Firehawkclone,

Sounds like you got a keeper, Wife and trailer! I keep telling my Wife, the Deuce was for her. I don't think she's buying it. Look forward to see what you build.

Thank you buddy

This should be a very basic build(that's what we all say). I'm fixing the frame now. And flipping the axle and replacing the rear shackles. One of them snapped off. The new ones are about 1/2" longer.

I also picked up a small tongue box, and a 6x8 canvas tarp. If I get the wiring done, this could be back on the road tonight. I'll have to wait for the steel yard to open to start on the tongue.

Firehawkclone

Adventurer
Frame is fixed,and the axle is flipped. The rear shackles are 1/2" longer. The nose of the jeep is down a bit in the picture. The trailer should ride level with the Jeep and trailer loaded. I'll start on the wiring tonight, but I have to cook the wife dinner tonight. Once a month is good right.
Before
484E112D-B5F1-4BA9-A38D-E7822DE2D1DB-39889-000007F6E8C17BC7.jpg

After
B14F5CEE-C89B-4A07-9CD9-E69002C8645F-44943-000008FA9DDAC92D.jpg

Box and tarp
BB7A74A9-5F51-4C58-9C54-2FAB52EF25C6-44943-000008FAB684BCA0.jpg

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Lookin good! I suspect the Max Coupler can be run all the time, as I built something similar for myself and do so. To your question, I did build a receiver using an old lunette that had been cut - slipping it inside a piece of 2" which then was inserted into a section of 2" receiver. I don't think your casting has a lunette fitting? Could rig something similar tho.

Keep up the good work!

Bonked

Observer
Firehawk:

A lot of potential there! I, too, own a similar Bantam and had reservations about cutting into it. Make what is useful to you and your wife. You'll love it. I do!

Since you are planning bigger tires and swapping axle, I will take one of those wheels off your hands. I need a spare and notice you're in CA. Please PM me.

THANKS!

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Extended tongue on our trailer. See build thread signature link below for more info.

304063_2624738022273_1041359015_n.jpg

374646_2616327972027_676667149_n.jpg

384932_2624993068649_377584466_n.jpg

393449_2839013859035_1356592157_n.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
One of my favorite extended frames.

Attachments

• trailer%20tongue.jpg
    trailer%20tongue.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Photo0208.jpg
    Photo0208.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 55

Firehawkclone

Adventurer
Lookin good! I suspect the Max Coupler can be run all the time, as I built something similar for myself and do so. To your question, I did build a receiver using an old lunette that had been cut - slipping it inside a piece of 2" which then was inserted into a section of 2" receiver. I don't think your casting has a lunette fitting? Could rig something similar tho.

Keep up the good work!

Being able to run the max coupler all the time is good to know.

Firehawkclone

Adventurer
Firehawk:

A lot of potential there! I, too, own a similar Bantam and had reservations about cutting into it. Make what is useful to you and your wife. You'll love it. I do!

Since you are planning bigger tires and swapping axle, I will take one of those wheels off your hands. I need a spare and notice you're in CA. Please PM me.

THANKS!

If I can weed through all the BS on changing over to 5 on 4.5 ill get with you on the spare

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94