Project Hundy Build Thread - 2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Great suggestions guys, I'm going to continue researching the options, interesting the Toyo 295 option didn't pop up in my search.

On another note, I've been super pleased with the ARB LED lights on the front of the Cruiser, they put out some serious rays. So you won't be surprised to hear we really stepped up the game on our 200 Series Land Cruiser race car. Put on your glasses :cool:

10511232_789989037734142_3690175977211913043_n.jpg

I can't wait to flip the switch on a dark Mexico trail next month!

cruiseroutfit

Can you get a night shot posted from your driveway? Crazy sweet...I assume ARB is sponsoring your truck? That's a few "Benjamin Franklins" on that bumper! Don't hit anything:)

No and yes. We are waiting on our rebuilt coilovers and shocks to come back from King, then it will be mobile again and we'll get an action shot of the lights. ARB has joined Team Canguro this year as a sponsor and we are very thankful for their help with our racing endeavor.

cruiseroutfit

Rebuilt coilovers?

Yes, on "Monica" the 200 Series race truck, not the "Death Star" 100 Series. The 8 x ARB light pic is on the 200 Series, the 100 still has a single pair.

On that note, here are the shocks/coilovers for the 200 Series:
canguro_shocks.jpg

It's not exactly an overland vehicle but I sure love driving it.

Back to the 100. I've fallen out of my love affair for the new KO2 tires, I'll give them a go on a project down the road but for now I'm either going to repeat the AT KO's or try something new. Jury is still out.

mph

Expedition Leader
Sweet....looks like u r going to have a blast!

;1685067 said:
No and yes. We are waiting on our rebuilt coilovers and shocks to come back from King, then it will be mobile again and we'll get an action shot of the lights. ARB has joined Team Canguro this year as a sponsor and we are very thankful for their help with our racing endeavor.

cruiseroutfit

Desert racing season is in full swing and the Baja 1000 race is just a few weeks away. As such I've been spending 2-3 days/nights a week wrenching on the 200 Series race car with our team (Canguro Racing) which hasn't left me much time for personal vehicle projects. I was able to enlist the help of teammate and Toyota master tech Will C. on the Doug Thorley header install and replacing the t-case front output seal. It had been weeping for quite some time and the bearing was a little loose as well. All fixed now and the headers seem to have added a bit of giddy up as well? At a minimum I won't have any exhaust leaking in the future. Along with that I went ahead and replaced the front O2 sensors on the manifolds (headers) themselves. One had a code following the install and while it didn't come back after a resent, they were 180k old and I wanted to replace them before I re-installed the skid system. While I had it back in the shop we swapped some rear brake pads and adjusted the park brake. I sure do miss the self-adjusting park brake setup.

headers_small.jpg

DT Headers installed, no more exhaust tick at startup!

On the tire front, I had made up my mind to stick with BFG. Other options came with great reviews but I have an agenda to stick with not only what has worked well for me personally, but also a company that supports our desert racing endeavors. With that said, the new KO2's in the 285 size were just becoming available here locally. I was really torn on dropping a tire size (approx. 1/2") 3to get the new model or just sticking with the tried and true 295 KO I have been running for the last two years. Price is a near wash between the two. I languished far too long over such a trivial thing BUT tires are freaking expensive and I didn't want to regret the purchase. My buddy and Canguro Racing team mate Dave C. is also re-shoing his 100 Series for Baja and was dead set on the KO2's, he called me to tell me they arrived at the local warehouse and his 5 were en route to the tire shop. I called my tire guy and there were no only 2 left in Utah, the other 3 would have to come from Grand Junction, CO with a $25/tire shipping charge if I wanted them soon. That made the decision... 295/75R16 BFG AT's got mounted yesterday.

new_shoes_small.jpg

It didn't end there however. After mounting the tires they tried to align the truck and my rack had too much play :eek:. I had know about a little play and had ordered in a couple of OEM Toyota inner tie rod ends hoping that was the culprit. It wasn't... the rack guides were gonzo on the drivers side. They had it apart at the tire shop to inspect and quoted me 2 hours to swap a rack. I doubted the possiblity but had a new Toyota rack sent over anyways. Sure enough after a few hours battling it, they didn't even have the hoses off. They buttoned it back together in 20 minutes and I took it back up to my shop. My buddy (and old shop hand) Jake offered to come rock out some late night wrenching and by 10'oclock we had the rack swapped and R&R's a lower ball-joint with a torn boot. Both LBJ's were new 555 units but this boot appears to have been the victim of a rock or branch? Last project is to lower the motor back down and bolt the motor mounts back up, low and behold my drivers motor mount is shot, one more project to knock out before B1K. This poor girl is having a rough month. Crazy thing, it still drove like a dream albeit a tiny shimmy at 75+ mph, gotta love the robust Land Cruiser!

steering_rack_small.jpg

Next up, the big drive down the Baja peninsula chasing a much faster 200 Series :cool:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I was going to buy KO2s for my new 100 as well, but also feel a bit less in love than I should for the money. I think I'm going to stick with Toyos, which have become my go-to tire in recent years.

cruiseroutfit

I was going to buy KO2s for my new 100 as well, but also feel a bit less in love than I should for the money. I think I'm going to stick with Toyos, which have become my go-to tire in recent years.

Can't blame you. Why change if they have served you well :D

cruiseroutfit

Final prep... I think.

I'm just handful of days away from departing to Baja and I'll be out a few of those for SEMA, so it was now or never on prep for the 100. While lifting the motor for the steering rack replacement (the only way I can imagine doing a rack R&R fwiw) I noted a loose motor mount. It was hard to tell while mounted just how bad but after removal it was full on goner. Toyota had one headed my way and we did a quick swap on that yesterday.

motor_mount_sm.jpg

Think this is bad?

The last big item was tunage i.e. radio. My stock Toyota head unit had followed many others and swallowed a few CD's, refusing to play them as well. This left the tape deck or AM/FM, not super ideal for cross-country traveling. My good pal and Canguro Racing team mate Ryan started down the path of his home audio (Ratio AV Inc.) career as a car AV installer and is known in the LC circles as an 12V guru. He had a head unit in mind and was able to source the needed goodies from his supplier and offered to help me with the install. We'll have access to tunes and movies as we spend 75-80 hours in the 100 the next few weeks and perhaps watch a movie or two in the pits as well :cool:

stereo_sm.jpg

New tunage!

Time to roll.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior