Project Hundy Build Thread - 2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser

r3run33

Adventurer
cool thanks! please don't take offense to this; I value your opinion also but for him to have faith in a stock 200 (yes he had chains and another vehicle to help incase of stuck) is a good thumbs up for the 2013/14 200 series!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
cool thanks! please don't take offense to this; I value your opinion also but for him to have faith in a stock 200 (yes he had chains and another vehicle to help incase of stuck) is a good thumbs up for the 2013/14 200 series!

He has become quite fond of the 200 Series and its capabilities. He has a few Cruisers to choose from for an adventure like we set out on and his pick was the 200. Speaks volumes to me as well.

Box Rocket

we took an upclose look at the 200 series at the auto expo. Obviously no way to examine capabilities there, but was really impressed with the rest of it. Sadly, it is FAR beyond my price range. But I can definitely see them becoming a popular adventure rig.

cruiseroutfit

we took an upclose look at the 200 series at the auto expo. Obviously no way to examine capabilities there, but was really impressed with the rest of it. Sadly, it is FAR beyond my price range. But I can definitely see them becoming a popular adventure rig.

A new 200 is in the $80k range, far outside the scope of possibility for most BUT a 5-6 year old one is in the high 20's, low 30's which isn't too far off of where many start with other platforms. I'll likely buy in the next year depending on what happens with the business and shop space i.e. discretionary income :D

r3run33

Adventurer
exactly many brand new cruiser's here in USA never even go off road so getting a used one with proper maintenance is a good vehicle. Now I had my eye on a 2013 left over last year and the dealership would not budge on the price. it was the same as their 2014 one they had. go figure

lndhark

Adventurer

Let's face it: until Toyota starts to re-badge the RAV4 as a Land Cruiser, it will likely be a solid platform...it always has been. Not so true for the competition (or lack thereof): the Pathfinder started out as a decent truck but has grown soft. The Mitsubishi Montero (Dodge Raider)? R.I.P. Isuzu Trooper? Started out with solid F&R axles and morphed into a different, yet still capable "SUV" but that too is off the market. Regardless of what the buying market dictates (IFS, wood trim, leather seats, advanced traction controls), the Land Cruiser will always be built "right" (and hopefully always at Tahara). Has it even had a chance to disappoint yet? Yeah, that 60-Series...what a POS (joking). Without changing direction too much, even the 4Runner has remained true to its roots.

cruiseroutfit

Let's face it: until Toyota starts to re-badge the RAV4 as a Land Cruiser, it will likely be a solid platform...it always has been. Not so true for the competition (or lack thereof): the Pathfinder started out as a decent truck but has grown soft. The Mitsubishi Montero (Dodge Raider)? R.I.P. Isuzu Trooper? Started out with solid F&R axles and morphed into a different, yet still capable "SUV" but that too is off the market. Regardless of what the buying market dictates (IFS, wood trim, leather seats, advanced traction controls), the Land Cruiser will always be built "right" (and hopefully always at Tahara). Has it even had a chance to disappoint yet? Yeah, that 60-Series...what a POS (joking). Without changing direction too much, even the 4Runner has remained true to its roots.

Great thoughts!

mph

Expedition Leader
A new 200 is in the $80k range, far outside the scope of possibility for most BUT a 5-6 year old one is in the high 20's, low 30's which isn't too far off of where many start with other platforms. I'll likely buy in the next year depending on what happens with the business and shop space i.e. discretionary income :D

I am kind of on the same plan...then, I look at my 100 series and go, why? What will make you take the plunge or look at stepping up to a 200? You have a very nice hundy:) Just curious...

Last edited:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Why here in America would you buy a 200 over a 4runner for an expo vehicle...more room in the 200 or the bigger engine?

cruiseroutfit

I am kind of on the same plan...then, I look at my 100 series and go, why? What will make you take the plunge or look at stepping up to a 200? You have a very nice hundy:) Just curious...

Mileage and fresh platform. My Cruiser is sitting at ~193k and still running/driving great, zero hesitations in fact I'm working out a potential plan to send it to South America later this year for an extended trip. BUT, it is getting older, dings, knicks, scratches, leather wear, carpet, etc... all showing its age. Nothing I'm rushing to do as the 100 is such a solid rig.

cruiseroutfit

Why here in America would you buy a 200 over a 4runner for an expo vehicle...more room in the 200 or the bigger engine?

What is an expo vehicle? ;)

Apples and oranges. The build quality and engineering of the Land Cruiser will never be approached by other models, despite being fantastic themselves. Slam the doors on the 4Runner or Tacoma versus the 200 Series and you'll see what I mean. They are withing inches of size yet the LC weighs what 800? lbs more... that weight is beefier components, frame, suspension, steering, etc. Add to that the 5.7L and it is an absolute winner platform. I have no hesitation you could drive one around the globe without a single failure.

r3run33

Adventurer
for me the biggest reason to jump to a 200 platform is the safety; I have seen crazy crash LX and Land Cruisers from the middle east and would have to say the people inside would have survived. I'm sure my 100 series is still good and probably we are seeing these crashed up vehicles due to the availability of all the camera phones etc now a days.

cruiseroutfit

for me the biggest reason to jump to a 200 platform is the safety; I have seen crazy crash LX and Land Cruisers from the middle east and would have to say the people inside would have survived. I'm sure my 100 series is still good and probably we are seeing these crashed up vehicles due to the availability of all the camera phones etc now a days.

Interesting thought. The 100 is a stout platform and I'm confident it will fair as well as most similar sized SUV's if not better in a wreck. That said the 200 has that much more technology invested in safety and that obviously yields results.

r3run33

Adventurer
yes I love my 100 and feel very safe in it; parts were I think it lacks is the C and D pillars (rear section); could be stronger and the side impact area. The 200 have knee airbags which we don't have in the 100's. From past research Toyota focused on these for the middle east area because they have more roll overs there. Hey by the way have you ever seen a 100 with a exterior roll cage? Not looking for Nascar/ or King of Hammers protection ut just something that may help in a slow roll over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior