Project Hundy Build Thread - 2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser

lndhark

Adventurer
I'm getting closer to making a decision on a new truck and I think it will be a 100-series modeled after yours, Kurt. Thanks for such a comprehensive build thread!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
any build threads on the race 200?

X2, this!

Coming soon. We just raced (and finished!!!) the 2014 Baja 100 and the 200 performed fantastically. I spent 12 hours in the driver and co-driver seat and I couldn't be happier with how it rallied down the brutal course. We did have a couple of TCT Magazine staff (Adam Tolman and Dan Markovsky) traveling with us so expect some coverage there.

I'm getting closer to making a decision on a new truck and I think it will be a 100-series modeled after yours, Kurt. Thanks for such a comprehensive build thread!

Thanks!

The 100 did a great job on the trip, just about 3700 miles door to door with 4 and 5 guys and gear in it at all times. The headers gave it some much needed ooomph on the big grades and Mex 1 passes and the additional fuel capacity was a huge helper as there are some remote areas without fuel. I'll get some pics posted once I get settled back in :D

lndhark

Adventurer
Thanks!

The 100 did a great job on the trip, just about 3700 miles door to door with 4 and 5 guys and gear in it at all times. The headers gave it some much needed ooomph on the big grades and Mex 1 passes and the additional fuel capacity was a huge helper as there are some remote areas without fuel. I'll get some pics posted once I get settled back in :D

Congrats on the finish! That's good news about the headers. Ugh...I remember the days of trying to pull those grades in my heavily-laden '86 22R-powered truck with 35's! Aye, aye, aye! :sombrero:

cruiseroutfit

Congrats on the finish! That's good news about the headers. Ugh...I remember the days of trying to pull those grades in my heavily-laden '86 22R-powered truck with 35's! Aye, aye, aye! :sombrero:

We were probably guilty of driving a few of them too fast :D

cruiseroutfit

The 100 ran like a champ for Baja... sorta. We had it fully laden with a weeks worth of gear for 5 plus spares, race gear and 46 gallons of fuel when the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Just as we pulled out of my house the A-trac activated oddly for a quick second and then the VSC and ABS lights came on. No codes on the normal scan gauge but I knew it was likely a wheel speed sensor failure. We dealt with the lights and pushed on to Mexico. There were were able to run the Toyota Techstream computer (Canguro Team mate Will C brought one :cool:) and get the codes (C0205 & C1223) which indicated a wheel sensor failure at the LH Front. We pulled the ABS fuse to prevent any funky brake engagement from the ABS/VSC and rallied on. Really a non-issue as it ran/drove just fine... just had a few lights.

I had the new sensor sitting on my desk the day I got home but I needed to find time to install it. I finally had a chance and it turned out to be quite the chore as the sensor was pretty much seized in the knuckle assembly. I had to remove the wheel, caliper and hub to get to a point where I could tap the offending sensor out. Repacked bearings and swapped the hub seal and wheel seal while I was in there. Ready for another 185k!

10542871_753850314664441_6575671524910405199_n.jpg
Chase 2, Chase 3, Race, Chase 5 in the parking garage pre-Baja 1000

cruiseroutfit

Sometimes it's the little things that really make a vehicle "click" with your planned uses. I can't take credit for this idea in fact I first noticed it on a customers LX470 (Scott Howe) with a similar drawer/fridge setup. The idea is simple, a cheap paper towel roll holder for the back of your vehicle. And why not mount it between the back hatch and the fridge where there is normally dead space? A few dollars on Amazon and I was in business, 10 minute install and voila. I often use the tailgate of the 100 for cooking and food prep so a roll of towels nearby is a welcome addition and it frees up some room in my drawer where I had usually kept them.

towel.jpg

Need a towel?

Now, onto more exciting things. I never did get back around to posting more pics our Baja 1000 adventure so I'm here to remedy that now. There will be a full report in a few of the Toyota mags and I know at least one of our team members was planning a forum based trip report too. In the meantime I'll offer some pics to whet your appetite. :D

baja_1.JPG

Contingency in Ensenda is an absolute party

baja_2.JPG

Bumped into this Baja legend - Ivan "Ironman" Stewart

baja_3.JPG

Locked and loaded at the starting line. Marc Van Tassell in the drivers seat and myself in the passenger/navigator seat. Game on!

baja_4.JPG

And we're off... 30 seconds into the race. 36 hours later we'd be crossing the finish line.

baja_5.jpg

Somewhere along the race course.

baja_6.jpg

Celebrating at the finish line. 2nd in class.

baja_7.JPG

And the long drive home.

cruiseroutfit

That looks like a fun adventure in itself! Especially after spending a few days in sub zero temps with crappy old snow...

It was nice and warm... enough that we took a nice swim in the ocean the morning finished the race. The drive home and camping along the way are always an adventure, particularly with the folks on our team as it's a laugh a minute voyage. :D

10428552_768305679885571_4633798224317805976_n.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Spent some time in the desert and mountains to celebrate the New Year. Normally this mountain range (Abajo Mountains in SE Utah) would be far too buried to be passable but we've have a considerably light snow year until the last few weeks. We ended up doing just about 80 miles pavement to pavement including some sketchy driving up and over Elephant Hill in the snow that required winching and heavy Maxtrax use. I'll let the pics fill in the details.

IMG_2480_sm.JPG

IMG_2472_sm.jpg

IMG_2500_sm.JPG

IMG_2508_sm.JPG

IMG_2526_sm.JPG

IMG_2531_sm.JPG

IMG_2594_sm.JPG

And I'm more convinced than ever that a 200 Series will be in my future :cool:

mph

Expedition Leader
good for you Kurt...was there any pucker factor on Bobby's Hole? what were the temps like? thx!

cruiseroutfit

good for you Kurt...was there any pucker factor on Bobby's Hole? what were the temps like? thx!

I don't know if my temp gauge actually reads below 1*F but I'm assuming it does not as Greg was seeing some below O*F temps on his gauge.

Bobby's Hole wasn't too bad, slip & slide to the bottom. The worst part was coming up and down the icy and snow covered Elephant Hill. What is normally a 30 minute segment took us several hours including the winching. Oh, and while the park is 100% open from the south, the NPS apparently didn't expect anyone to be coming in that way... the gate at the bottom of Elephant Hill was locked :eek: The rest has to be enjoyed around a campfire.

r3run33

Adventurer
kurt how was the 200 series that was along with you? did it fair well? did it need extra help compared to your locked 100?

cruiseroutfit

kurt how was the 200 series that was along with you? did it fair well? did it need extra help compared to your locked 100?

He had tire chains and a healthy gas pedal... he went everywhere we did. We did have to use the Maxtrax a fair bit in some particularly deep snow but he was breaking trail. Overall it did great, I was very impressed.

r3run33

Adventurer
thanks for being honest; my friend from australia who does some work with ARB says he will never need a front locker for the newer models because of their traction control. But he has no snow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94