4 door ford 7.3IDI or 2 door dodge 12v cummins?

bfdiesel

Explorer
The one I am looking at comes with a drive train the guy bought to fix the current motor he says is locked up. I am going to go look at it this weekend and see if the truck is what I want body wise.

The replacement motor he has has about 40k on it and is supposed to be a ford reman. He claims he has too many projects and wants to get rid of it before winter to make room.

I am most definatly not locked into anything so if it stinks I will walk away.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I have an F350 crewcab with a 7.3L TD. It's been reliable for the 100K miles I have driven it. The Cummins is also a great engine - but LOUD as hell.

jronwood

Adventurer
That IDI looks like a good deal, if you wanna do the wrenching. You CANNOT beat and IDI durability. There are lots of folks that can help you with details like cavitation of the anti freeze near the cylinder walls as they micro "move" in and out with detination. Evidentally this creates an air bubble in the coolant that bursts and pits the outter cylinder walls over time, look it up at Fordtruckenthusiast ..

Jronwood

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
That exact conversion exists here in San Diego. My wife and I were heading back to San Diego from a desert run and I spotted a Ford 4wd flying down the hill. Upon passing me I could hear the 12v a bit and saw the insignia on the fender along with the F-350 plaque. It was a crewcab longbed,probably 1987 ish I guess. He punched it and that flat out flew. Square w/vent wings. How many millions of white trucks did Ford make anyway? Aside from the 1/4 mile turning radius,pretty neat rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke