Off Road Tear Drop - Aspen X Trails 11/2012 Build...

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
New Off Road Tear Drop trailer from Bob, the intrepid builder...

Here is the frame layout for the new 35gal water tank. The tank will be surrounded by 2X6 .120 wall steel. It will also have a skidplate over it. Unfortunately the axle and skidplate will have to be removed to work on or replace the tank, but the chances of that ever needing to be done are slight. No place to rub, no place to have contact with rocks. It will raise the trailer 1in higher overall. It also makes the trailer about 1/2in wider. Weight will go up about 40 pounds is my guess. I need to pick up some 4x4 steel for the axle ramps and box, will do that this afternoon after riding. I should be able to work on it tomorrow and Friday, but have an offroad run scheduled in Banning with my trailer. This trailer is being made for a late-February delivery, so I will take my time on it.

Back in the saddle again, and the bike saddle Doug and Ace!!!! Riding almost every day, with a lot of climbing, the new bike is paradise!!!
- Bob

Layoutofnewframewith35gallontank010.jpg

Layoutofnewframewith35gallontank011.jpg

Layoutofnewframewith35gallontank012.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
This is just lay out, will modify jig to take new design, all new trailers will have this type of tank and design. Should have it welded by the end of the day on Friday. I have the jig for the walls, but have to change it as this trailer is also 6 inches longer. I will be putting a propex propane heater in the front nose cone so needed a little extra room. This also includes the 2 inch rear bumper made into the frame. Working on carrying the solar panel on the inside of the back door. Windmill is planned for this trailer also. The turbine may have to go on the front box/spare area, or behind. I should pick up the windmill this weekend if it comes in. I can extend the tongue about 6 inches if needed. May work two 255 amp hour batteries into this one.

Water will also have a pump(hopefully) that will allow you to take on lake water and purify it and run to tank. I have a lot of ideas for this trailer that really sets it apart farther from the competition.

Excited to get going on it.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the storngest, most trailworthy
Off Road Tear Drop made.

Videos of Imogene, Ophir and Engineer Pass very soon!!!

Last edited:

skibum315

Explorer
Subscribed!! Really excited to see this one come together, too. Still waiting for the 'pop-up' 2nd bunk - or a flat roof & frame spacing set-up to add one later ... ;) (oh, and keep the loaded weight to <2,500-2,700lb).

Congrats on the new wheels for MTB, too.

Last edited:

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
So far every one that has ordered or seriously considered ordering has wanted the AC. This one is for a couple with out kids, needs the air and wants to be able to stay out for a month or more. That is the reason for pump and filtering set up. I have had one battery support a fridge for three weeks, according to Old Sarge, so with dual batteries, they should be good for a month no problem. The windmil is for bad days, raining, snowing. Normally when you have a storm you have wind. I use them on my microwave towers and they are fantastic. Just going to be a pain to set up for a day or two stay. You better be out for a few days or it will not be worth the hassle, I do not think.

Did not get the steel this afternoon, will pick it up in the morning after my bike ride, but may work on the base frame tonight.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest, most trailworthy
Off Road Tear Drop made.

Videos coming soon, I promise!!!!!!

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Sorry no progress, wife hit a deer on her way to work this morning, been dealing with her and the insurance company/body shop all day. One month old. Wife is a mess, so upset about killing the deer. Hopefully will get to work on it soon. Not a good day to say the least.

Bob

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Yes she is physically fine, just so upset about the deer.

Also stopped to pick up the 2x4 steel and none in stock, so will have to double 2x2, makes it stronger, but weighs more. I should be able to start on it in the morning, goal to get it done by tomorrow night still.

Thanks for the kind words Thom.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Coleman, 600 watt, 35 amps.

I think it is the same one we used at the Telephone company, but never really paid attention to who made them. We also have another type that may work better, the the guy I have been talking to is on assigment in Iraq. Should be back home before the Holidays. It is a small one that might make attachement easier. Not sure of the output, I just noticied it was on our main office the last time I was there. It might work better. Mounting and carrying them is the real problem. They are supposed to be 10-20 feet above the nearest obstacle, IE tree. That is not going to happen, but if it is above the trailer by 6-8 with a clear wind path I think they will work. That being said, you are not going to set them up for an overnight stay. Once I get it done, I will decide as to the fesability of making them part of the trailer, or just make them an option for the diehard campers.

Hope that gives you the information you were looking for. I will get the name of the smaller one for you as soon as possible.

Bob

BretEdge

Adventurer
These are easily the coolest off-road teardrops I've seen. Looking forward to following this build.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94