F-150 SAS

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks very nice,
Watch the twisties with that cap.
I have seen Fords kiss the cab and caps when off roading.

kozmobrown

Got a few more pictures from some recent outings. Truck has been running good. I added a high lift mount to the front bumper. Next on the list is a rear bumper for carrying extra fuel cans, water cans, and shovel mount.

Attachments

• bth_IMG_0437_zps60f12880.jpg
    bth_IMG_0437_zps60f12880.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 231
  • bth_IMG_0434_zpscd29ff19.jpg
    bth_IMG_0434_zpscd29ff19.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 229
  • bth_IMG_0432_zps23c4b8be.jpg
    bth_IMG_0432_zps23c4b8be.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 231
  • bth_IMG_0412_zps33e2bb74.jpg
    bth_IMG_0412_zps33e2bb74.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 229
  • bth_IMG_0362_zpsd9cb4d82.jpg
    bth_IMG_0362_zpsd9cb4d82.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 229

1meanz

Mullet Club Chairman
I'm going to guess there was a lot more going on here. On top of the cost of the axle, we don't know what steering mods were done, frame reinforcement and bracket fab, front drive shaft situation, heck they might have changed to a different transfer case. Then add labor on top of all that and it doesnt take long to get 10k in something like that. 10k probably also includes the front bumper fab and rear gear swap too? limited slip diffs included too? the pennies add up..

98dango

Expedition Leader
Nice truck sir. Don't matter what you spend its the enjoyment you get from using it for what you want. I really like the truck it looks nice and a good set up .

kozmobrown

It has worked great for me and the only thing I may change is to drop the lift a few inches. I originally acquired the truck with a 6 inch lift. However, as it is it still works good so I not too inclined to change it yet. Its primary purpose is extended camping trips and backcountry exploring as opposed to hard core rock crawling, but it will go through anything I care to take it so far. I have no regrets ditching the IFS. However, I can think of lots of mods I would like to add. A never ending project, but a labor of love.

Also, my earlier statement may have been misleading about the price. As 1meanaz surmised the cost included a lot more than just the axle. It had some major surgery including custom steering, new driveshaft, wheels, brakes, bumper, new springs, ARB diff, bracket fab, frame reinforcement, powder coating, and of course quality labor. But enough of that.

Also for those of you who are interested, RPM now offers a straight axle conversion kit for F-150 (1997-2003) for $700. Apparently my truck served as the guinea pig. Of course you can expect to spend a lot of labor and will need more than what is in the kit to complete the transformation, but I am sure many of you here can do it. As far as I know it is the only one offered on the market for those years on a F-150. And believe me that I looked hard to find a kit until finally giving up and going custom.

Here is the link.
http://rpmfab.com/products-page/f-150/

Madmaxwell87

Observer
Nice to see at least a partial kit that takes out most of the guess/fab work. There was a guy in Florida doing a kit but has long since disappeared after he opened a new shop. They should include everything but the axle for $1000.

Mad_Texan

Adventurer
Kozmobrown,

How is the SAS holding up? I keep looking at the kit and thinking I want to do it but would like to keep it to a maximum of 4". What other frame reinforcement did you have done by RPM when you had the SAS installed? What size tires are you running? Oh...what did you do with the bolt pattern from front to rear?

Sorry for so many questions...

Thanks,
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94