Used ham equipment?

srch4me

Adventurer
Anyone have sources for used ham radio equipment? Where do you find swap meets?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

gary in ohio

Explorer
Just make sure you know the price of new gear and what used gear your interested in.. Most hamfest I have been to in the last couple of years
vhf/uhf mobiles and handles were going close to new prices... Know what your getting, if its older than 10 years old it might not have PL/CTCSS tones installed.
If its old and not working skip it unless you are skilled at radio repair and have the correct gear to do the repair. Parts are next to impoosible to find on many older radios.

Expedition Leader
Also consider joining a local amateur radio club. In my club there is always someone upgrading to the newest model or wanting to try a different rig that has their current radio for sale.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Good ol' Craigslist, too. Take the time to chat about the history of the radio and do what you can to give it a once over. Operate it if possible, at least into a dummy load. Hams are always tinkering and changing out their stuff, so the majority of the time a ham is just selling a radio 'cause he's got the bug for something different.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
+1 on CL. I got a 2m mobile for $50 and a dual band HT for $100 on CL last year within two weeks of getting my license. Both work fine.

srch4me

Adventurer
+1 on CL. I got a 2m mobile for $50 and a dual band HT for $100 on CL last year within two weeks of getting my license. Both work fine.

I've been checking cl. Not many in my area are for sale... I'm starting to check out of the area

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've been checking cl. Not many in my area are for sale... I'm starting to check out of the area

CL is very hit-or-miss, so it works best if you're not on a timeline. I wasn't and got lucky.

Lot's of used HAM equipment on eBay as well although prices tend to be a bit higher and of course you have shipping costs, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier