Will LR4 prices hold?

lwg

If you buy the "bare bones" LR4 it will not hold its value as well as the HSE with navigation etc. not many people want the bare bones ones.

What he said. While there are a few people who will search the ends of the earth for a "bare bones" LR they are few and far between. I would only go this way if you were truly going to keep it forever.

That being said, if you've ever seen the adaptive HID lights at night, or heard the sound system of the upgraded models they are some of the my favorite things about our LR3. I do appreciate the luxuries of life when I can.

BTW, regarding your original question. The LR3's are holding their value way better than any previous Discovery model. I suspect the LR4's will do a little better as well. Part of it that they are finally decently reliable compared to what once was. Just look at the "downsizing" of all the techs at the dealers as proof of this. Ford did a lot of good things for Land Rover when they owned them, it would appear that Tata is continuing that trend.

Bhos

Adventurer
The 2013s will be coming out next month, so expect the new and "nearly new" 2012s to drop a bit in price.

rijosho

Adventurer
How much do you think a 2013 LR4 with 50k-60k miles will command in 2017-2019?

Probably $15-20k in 2017 for a bare bones LR4. As RNPhoto pointed out, "bare bones" models may in some cases command a premium, but not when they're 5 years old - usually when they're 10-15 years old.

You could always just post it up for sale after 3 years of ownership and have it actively for sale for 2 years at the same price. hahaha

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/53722-2007-LR3-HSE-many-mods-n-parts-custom-traveler

Viggen

Just here...
No, I'm wondering if the LR4 will hold its value better relative to other Land Rovers.

No, its a Land Rover. It will depreciate pretty rapidly. Add in cost of maintenance and build quality makes for depreciation.

rover4x4

Adventurer
You can get an LR4 in the UK with cloth seats no sun roof and cruise control is an option, that would be really nice

LtFuzz

Explorer
No, its a Land Rover. It will depreciate pretty rapidly. Add in cost of maintenance and build quality makes for depreciation.

That's just the zeitgeist, though, and something tells me it's slowly changing.

I'm still torn between LR3 and LR4. You know what kills me about the LR3? The interior door handles. They creak. I don't know why -- of all shortcuts ever taken by LR -- but that really bothers me. :sombrero:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I wouldn't take the financial risk myself- do an '06-'07 low mile LR3, mods available, and minimal downside risk as they are already mid to upper teens, and a great vehicle- creaky handles and all...

brushogger

Explorer
Never buy a Rover of any kind expecting it to hold it's value over any length of time. They are made to last through the warranty period and be traded in. The only one that holds up is the Defender and that's only due to supply and demand. If this wasn't the case, LR would have backed up their products like the Freelander and D2 when it became obvious the engines were crap due to loose tooling tolerances. I'm talking about things like the '03 oil pump issues and the '04 cylinder liners. No responsibility taken at all. Who else makes a 40 plus thousand dollar vehicle that can't be expected to hit 100k miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LtFuzz

Explorer
Never buy a Rover of any kind expecting it to hold it's value over any length of time. They are made to last through the warranty period and be traded in.

Again, zeitgeist. And most of us drive Rovers because we know this isn't necessarily the case.

It'll be interesting to see how the latest generations hold up price-wise.

rijosho

Adventurer
You're slowly falling into their trap - this is how they get people to buy new Rovers every few years - ::perhaps things will be different this time around::

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHA

RangeBrover

Explorer
Here's an example for you, my best friend decided to buy a Range Rover after I had gotten one and paid 44K out the door a little more than a year ago for a fully loaded 08 Range Rover with 35K miles. When he went to trade it in, best trade value he could get was 30-32k, so losing more than 10k in a year doesn't seem like holding value. If you're going to buy a new one buy it for keeps or until the warranty runs out. But if I was going to do it again, I'd but a CPO with under 20k miles.

lwg

Hopefully nobody here can deny that with the LR3 and subsequent LR4 that overall quality has vastly improved over previous generations? It is literally night and day. There are folks who take their RRS to 200K miles without having to replace the engine, do major work, etc that would have once been expected, possibly many times over, with the older model Land Rovers.

I think the LR3's have absolutely held their value better than the DII and the LR4 should be equal in that respect. However being a high end luxury SUV it should be expected that it might depreciate worse than many smaller, gas miser models. Typical supply and demand. If LR would actually bring over a diesel things might change in an instant. Just look at any Diesel that VW has produced over the last 10 years, heck even the MB and especially the BMW models are holding their values quite well.

In the end buy what you want because it will make you happy. Cars are always depreciating assets, but so be it. If we all just kept our old junk running and never bought new cars the economy as we know it would literally shatter right before our eyes.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Hopefully nobody here can deny that with the LR3 and subsequent LR4 that overall quality has vastly improved over previous generations? It is literally night and day. There are folks who take their RRS to 200K miles without having to replace the engine, do major work, etc that would have once been expected, possibly many times over, with the older model Land Rovers.

I think the LR3's have absolutely held their value better than the DII and the LR4 should be equal in that respect. However being a high end luxury SUV it should be expected that it might depreciate worse than many smaller, gas miser models. Typical supply and demand. If LR would actually bring over a diesel things might change in an instant. Just look at any Diesel that VW has produced over the last 10 years, heck even the MB and especially the BMW models are holding their values quite well.

In the end buy what you want because it will make you happy. Cars are always depreciating assets, but so be it. If we all just kept our old junk running and never bought new cars the economy as we know it would literally shatter right before our eyes.

Well said.

We all know that Rovers depreciate significantly more than their German counterparts. And we all know that trading in a vehicle is never the best value -- hell, the system exists for convenience and convenience alone.

But Range Rover Sports and LR3s are clinging to their value pretty well. Are they depreciating rapidly? Of course. My question is, are they depreciating less rapidly than Discos over the same time period? It's a bit too early to tell, but so far the numbers look promising.

If I did buy an LR4, I'd do so with the intention of driving it for at least 8-10 years (all things being equal). Will the truck, in 2022, with 120k miles on it be worth $20k? Or -- like the DII -- plummet to that $4k-$12k range? Let's pretend rising energy costs and inflation aren't significant factors in the equation.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
You're slowly falling into their trap - this is how they get people to buy new Rovers every few years - ::perhaps things will be different this time around::

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHA

It's OK. Someone has to buy new Rovers so we can buy them cheap a few years later. . .

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Exactly. There's nothing about an LR4 that would make me feel it isn't going to depreciate as quickly as every other Rover in the last 20 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94