Will LR4 prices hold?

Angry_Man

Adventurer
Just a slight correction. The LR3 V8 is not a BMW engine. It is a Jag/Ford engine. And as far as I know the 5.0 liter in the LR4 is mostly a ford based engine. All the parts on the engine are stamped fomoco.
Huh, learn something new every day. I always thought that had been a carryover bridge from BMW M62 until the 5.0 was ready, I had no idea it was in the AJ-8 family.

Derel1cte

Adventurer
Huh, learn something new every day. I always thought that had been a carryover bridge from BMW M62 until the 5.0 was ready, I had no idea it was in the AJ-8 family.

Nope. The 4.4L in 2002-2005 L322s was the carryover from the BMW days which is why they all grenade at 80K.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Just a slight correction. The LR3 V8 is not a BMW engine. It is a Jag/Ford engine. And as far as I know the 5.0 liter in the LR4 is mostly a ford based engine. All the parts on the engine are stamped fomoco.

That's a common misperception, that the Ford and Jag V8's are the same. The Jaguar V8 was designed by JLR beginning in 2002.

New Jaguar V8 revealed in Detroit
23-Jan-2009

"Jaguar unveiled its all-new direct-injection 5.0-L V8 gasoline engine in supercharged and naturally aspirated forms at the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Designed in-house by Jaguar, the new AJ-V8 Gen III replaces the 4.2-L AJ-V8 to power the XF, XK, and next-generation XJ.

Malcolm Sandford, Jaguar’s Chief Engineer-Engines, said the only carryover components from the previous V8 are the exhaust tappets and cylinder-head bolts. "Everything else is new, with much of the design driven by the need to repackage. To achieve the efficiency required, we have bundled together several advanced technologies—and we are very pleased with the result."

The announcement of the new V8 came only days after Jaguar revealed its equally new AJ-V6D diesel, described in the January print edition of AEI. There are physical similarities in the appearance of both engines, said Sandford, demonstrating the synergy achieved in Jaguar’s core design philosophy for its new generation engines.....

....The direct fuel-injection system uses centrally mounted Bosch six-hole injectors; Jaguar believes it to be an industry first in that configuration.....

"

Jaguars New 5.0-liter Gen III V8 is a Technological Deep Dive: 2009 Detroit Auto Show

"DETROIT— The all-new engine found in the all-new Jaguar FXR is set to replace the 4.2 V8, which will remain in production for at least one year. This engine, which was designed entirely in-house at Jaguar, increases power, lessens the load (while making the block stronger) and improves fuel consumption by making use of some interesting technologies......"

The Jag V8, AJ133, is direct injection. The Ford Coyote is port injection.

I wouldn't be surprised if some ancillary components are manufactured by Ford, stamped FOMOCO, and delivered to the JLR manufacturing line in the UK.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Agreed. Common in the VAG market as component sharing makes sense as chassis design is shared vis a vie touareg, cayenne, Q7. Thanks for the clarification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz