slow build- 97 Ram CTD family truck/expo rig

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
The entire console is mounted via the 2 front center seat bolts. Turned out very sturdy

I have kinda been looking at suncoast and goerend, but I don't have the money to tackle the trans yet.

I just got back from 2400 miles in baja last week. I havnt had time to post pics, I will though.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
i ditched work friday morning, i had alot of friends out at King of the Hammers desert race, and i was itching to go. woke up my wife, 2 year old daughter and 2 week old boy at 5am and started to pack for a day trip. Hit the road at 630am

4x4 diesels really are great do-it-all rigs. highway, desert, snow with 4 people comfortably, and getting reasonable mileage.

we watched a bit of the race, it was an absolute zoo. lots of fun, but difficult with a breastfeeding newborn. I walked my 2 year old down to watch "chocolate thunder" for a few minutes, but then we moved the truck to a more mellow place, where it was level enough to hang out in the camper shell. it was very windy and dusty.

i had a bolt puncture a tire in the first 5 minutes of getting there. It was so windy and dusty, i almost lost my plug kit. i was laying in the dirt/wind thinking, "this is still better than being at work". after 2 or 3 hours my kids were getting restless in the camper shell. we wanted to drive through Big Bear and see some snow, but with the nut case Obama voter on the loose, we decided against it. we took hwy 134 to the 2 and drove through Wrightwood and mountain high.

Us soft SoCal residents think snow is SO COOL, so we were excited to get checked for chains, and allowed to continue on.

it was a fun day, out with the family and the truck, enjoying the desert and mountains, about 400miles round trip. its always memorable changing diapers on the center console.

Attachments

• 5 minutes later.jpg
    5 minutes later.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 113
  • fam in the back.jpg
    fam in the back.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 114
  • fam in truck, dez.jpg
    fam in truck, dez.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 116
  • me w kids.jpg
    me w kids.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 113
  • snowy diaper change.jpg
    snowy diaper change.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 106
  • starting to snow.jpg
    starting to snow.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 111
  • truck in dez.jpg
    truck in dez.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 119

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
been busy workin on the truck, for a camping trip at LasVegas motor speedway.

I felt like Pulltillbroke moving around so many dodges

while i had barrowed this trailer, i picked up a 93 cummins and drug it to my yard to store.

got sick of the green shell, my first attempt at painting something, turned out OK, looks good from 20ft away

installed a Goerend triple disc converter(wow! what an improvment)

added some sound deaden-er to the doors, there was a tiny bit, but i covered the entire door skin

drilled some holes in my skid plate to help the overheating problem i had last time i towed

pulled my buddys compound turbo 12valve dragrace/sledpull truck out to vegas and camped in the parkinglot (i know, not realy portal worthy)

also seen is my old camper on my friends 78 f350, pretty cool truck, 460/ZF 5 speed

Attachments

• white paint.jpg
    white paint.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 82
  • atlake.jpg
    atlake.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 88
  • camp.jpg
    camp.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 90
  • haulin 1st gen.jpg
    haulin 1st gen.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 86
  • inBaker.jpg
    inBaker.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 83
  • old deadner.jpg
    old deadner.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 81
  • paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Rio buffet.jpg
    Rio buffet.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 84
  • sanded shell.jpg
    sanded shell.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 79
  • sound deadner.jpg
    sound deadner.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 77

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
these pictures are redundant, but everyone likes pics

this converter looks like $1200 right? :Wow1: but its worth it

amazed how well this truck tows, when the TC locks in overdrive, it pulls so hard and smooth. trans never got above 155* on the longest grade(190* in stop/go traffic)

by removing my big HID lights and drilling my skid plate, i had no more overheating problems(got warm, but not hot)

Attachments

• tc.jpg
    tc.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 64
  • trailerinyard.jpg
    trailerinyard.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 66
  • white paint.jpg
    white paint.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 65

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
did some real "EXPO" type stuff lately :rolleyes:

threw on some cab lights (Bday gift from the wife...thanks babe!)

and there was a local dyno in town so i paid the $75 and made 3 passes

pretty surpised/happy with the numbers

266hp and 684 ft/lbs

Attachments

• cab lights.jpg
    cab lights.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 57

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
266/684? Those are respectable numbers for rear wheel hp/tq. What mods if any do you have done to your engine?

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
big air filter
big exhaust 4" down pipe, 5" out
stock turbo
ground fuel plate
stock gov springs(for now)
a few tricks on the AFC from my sled pull buddy, he flipped over a washer and ground something down, to gain a little rack travel
previous owner told me "bosch stage 2" injectors. i dont think they are any thing special, she doesn't seem to have that much fuel.

max egt ever seen is 1350 when towing long grades, easy to keep below 1250 towing. rarely see over 1000-1100 on the street.
32psi

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That's very similar to my set up.

#10 fuel plate
4" MBRP stainless exhaust
ATS 3 pce manifold
3000 gsk
BHAF
60 lb valve springs
BD exhaust brake
A1 head studs
New factory Cummins head
Southbend clutch
Isspro boost and egt gauges.

I think the injectors are stock. 32 psi is what I see on the street as well, and 1100-1200 is maxed egt. I love the way it drives. Lots of power and only a little smoke if I get on it hard below 1500 rpm. We are probably running similar hp/torque numbers. Maybe a drag race when we are in Ventura county this fall? We usually spend a week on the Rincon or at Hobson in early oct.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
That's very similar to my set up.

I think the injectors are stock. 32 psi is what I see on the street as well, and 1100-1200 is maxed egt. I love the way it drives. Lots of power and only a little smoke if I get on it hard below 1500 rpm. We are probably running similar hp/torque numbers. Maybe a drag race when we are in Ventura county this fall? We usually spend a week on the Rincon or at Hobson in early oct.

i was about to order a 3000GSK but the dyno came to town and i spent my "birthday money" on lunch out, the dyno and a days worth of beer while at the "offroad expo" at the VC fairgrounds.

it was pretty funny, they has this show going on, and across the street, on the beach, was a big earthday festival.

your truck probably fuels harder with the GSK....but i'm 600lbs lighter :D

i'm blessed to live in a beautiful place, i can be at the Rincon in 15 min, lake casitas in 3 min, and 5500ft in 45 min
hit me up if you would like any camping recommendations in the area

just found this on Craiglist for $800!

1990 Skamper, picking it up tomorrow

Attachments

• skamper.jpg
    skamper.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 56

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Great find! What size is it? We bought an '89 (I think?) Skamper 8'6" back in '05 for $2995 and used it on a long trip down Mexico 200. It was a great little camper. No shower in or out that can recall, but it was in great shape. We sold it for $8000 up here in BC. It's hard to believe things go for that much more here.

Lake Casitas is up by Ojai right? We did a loop up there this fall, but it was close to 100* up there, and only 80* at Hobson. Our dogs were much happier at the beach.

It's good you realize what you have in V.C. There are a lot of people who like to trash SoCal, but I think it's mainly due to the number of people, and the rules they need to have to keep it from being a total free-for-all. We live in Whistler BC which is also an incredible place, but even though I can be in salt water in 40 mins, it just isn't the same. Watching the sun go down behind the islands after a good days surfing with a beer in hand and a campfire 10' from the waves is pretty damn awesome!

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
pretty excited about this! total score for $800

its an 8' the tailgate wont quite close. i got it home after dark, so i will play with it saturday. i didnt know they set up so fast, it takes 2 min, i though it would be a 10+ minute thing

i have a D-ring welded in my bed that kept it from sitting down all the way, so its on some 1-1/2 wood sleepers to get it home. it should look nice once its dropped down.

photo.jpg

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
i've been focusing on my wifes XJ last week, but i did take the camper off, prep the bed, and allow the camper to drop down 1". i also removed the jacks.

i weighed it
7900#
no passengers
3/4 tank fuel
full water tank (10 gal)
my travel tool box (40-50lbs?)
and a group 34 battery in the camper (40lbs?)
all cabinets empty, no food or anything

my truck empty is about 6500, so you do the math, camper is about 1300 dry

hoping to do a quick trip this weekend.

starting to plan for a rear bumper/tire carrier. trying to get the courage to build it myself.

here is a pic from 10 min ago, pardon the awful lighting

Attachments

• current 12v 5-13.jpg
    current 12v 5-13.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 61

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz