slow build- 97 Ram CTD family truck/expo rig

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
Hi there, i started to post about my truck in the hard side camper forum, but alot of this is general stuff.

My dream is to drive this truck to Alaska before i turn 30, (im 24 now, got some time)
as my family grows(2yr old daughter now, son due in january) i plan to switch from a camper and get a 22-25' travel trailer.

my long term plans for the truck- solid tranny (Gorend?), ARB in the front axle 35-37" tires and watch the odo roll over 300k

i bought this truck with 175k miles on it

1997 ram 2500 4x4 cummins

extra cab long bed
auto
4.10 gears

it has a 4" down pipe and 5" from the cab back with a muffler on it.
i was told the injectors are "Bosch stage 2" i have no idea what that means, they dont put out that much fuel
KnN BHAF
water/meth injecton that doesnt work
p pump is tweaked a little but has stock GSK

truck pushes 32PSI and gets 18mpg empty on the hwy

It has a 2" leveling block in the front and Bilstein shocks

it had 16.5x9.75 alloy wheels with 35x12.5 BFG ATs when i got it

I came across some H2 wheels for a decent price, i went round and round before i decided on 34x11.5" Nittos (285/75-17)

I came across a pre-runner style bumper on craigslist and got it for $150, it was welded to the frame of a dodge that was totaled. it was still welded to the frame, and cut off with a torch when i bought it.

I did not want to weld to my frame, i'm not in love with the bumper and welding it on is kinda a one way street.

i welded it to some heavy gauge 4x2" box tubing. i had to cut/grind the frame a little, but now it slides in and bolts through the factory bumper holes.

it looked dumb with the intercooler+washer fluid bottle and everything visible. i wasnt sure what to do. i decided to turn the factory bumper into swiss cheese and use it to cover all the ugly stuff. i think it turned out pretty good

photo(2).jpg
i used the factory brackets, lined them up with the mounting holes, then scribed a line, and cut them, then welded on the piece i needed
photo(3).jpg

photo(4).jpg

the center chrome part was useless and barely visible, so i cut it completely off
photo(5).jpg

Last edited:

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
here is the mounting area with the center section removed and the new Rigid Industries Dually light
photo(7).JPG

Last edited:

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
the 94-97 rams had the cup holders mounted high, above the radio. it was awkward and was a blind spot when you stuck a big-gulp up there, and mine were broken when i got the truck.

i needed something better, and a place for radios and switches ect. i had this console in my mind, i wasnt sure how to build it. what to make it out of, where to tie into ect. i finally just started building it, with the expectation i may re-do the who thing later, i just needed to start some where. i started by looking to see what material was in stock, 10' of light weight 3/4" steel box tubing. then it started to take shape.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. its not a work of art, but it is very sturdy, has room for all my stuff, and isnt a complete eyesore.

photo(8).JPG
i used "blind nuts" or "riv-nuts" to hold on the face plate NOTE-pay the extra money for the aluminum ones, the set/crush much easier than the brass ones
photo(9).JPG
the down tubes are 3/4" tube, kinda thick wall. the base plates are about 2"x7" 3/16 plate and bolt through the existing bolts under the center seat

i bought a piece of 3'x3'x1/4" ABS from a local plastic place for about $30. i used a heat gun to bend it. it took alot of heat, but eventually bend pretty good. the cup holders are big enough for big cups and i got at WestMarine, the boat place
photo(10).JPG

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
i got a cool "push on, push off" button from a military surplus store. it turns on an LED license plate light pointed at my wifes feet.

the panel does not go all the way to the floor, and there is no panel on the drivers side, so i can easily reach the transfer case, and i can reach all the wiring.

you can also see where i mounted my trans temp gauge in the old cup holder location

photo(1).jpg

Last edited:

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
2 weekends ago, we loaded up our 1969 Open Road camper and spent 4 days in the Eastern Sierra, camped along LeeVining creek.

here is a better shot of the truck and bumper

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    577 KB · Views: 178

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
pulled the TC off last weekend. bought a $400 used camper shell.

My dad and I are headed to Baja on tuesday for the Baja1000 to chase/co-drive for a 5unlimited car.

My dad and i started on a bed/storage platform, i had it different in my mind, more complicated and expensive. this is his plan, and so far i like it. 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood and one sheet of 1/2" for the drawer. 3 1"x6"x6' for the drawer edges and some 2x6s for the main supports. the drawer has little rollers on the far end to help it slide.

the drawer is 3' wide to leave room for longer things on the side, shovel/highlift

photo 1.jpg
piano hinge to allow access to one side. the other side in screwed down and does not open
the drawer is 6'10" long, nothing keeps it from pulling completely out except for friction. at the back will be things i rarely need.
photo 2.jpg
small piece of angle to keep the drawer from sliding sideways
photo 3.jpg

its not done yet, it will get a 5gal fuel/water cans against the front of the bed. i will throw a piece of carpet on the top. i have some handles to go on the drawer front ect ect

the camper shell is green now, i have never painted anything, i'm going to do a quick and dirty paint job this weekend. i dont care if it lasts, i just want it white, and to look decent from 50' away

lots of little things to do before i leave Tuesday, i will try to post up

thanks
Lance

Last edited:

ExpoMike

I 100% agree with you about the craptastic cup holders and lack of any place to mount about anything (like gauges). I have owned 50+ vehicles and this by far has been the most frustrating vehicle to try to modify/add stuff to.

Have fun in Baja! Post up more pics/projects when you get a chance. :)

kozmobrown

Great job on the center console. That gives me some ideas for my rig. I need to move my ARB locker switches. They are right by my knee and are sometimes inadvertantly switched on without my consent.

ZJARCHER

Adventurer
Love the console too! When time comes, Ill be doing something similar. Cant wait to see how the bed/platform/storage ends up, too!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
First off, welcome to the site BlooodyWest! I like your Dodge and the cool vintage camper you have on the back. Keep us posted with LOTS OF PICS! Cheers, Chilli.:)

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
made some progress.

-finished wiring up the HIDs
-mounted and wired up an amber LED on the rear bumper for visibility in dust
-finished the bed platform
-mounted the camper shell
-my dad wired up 2 lights in the camper shell, one is a 36 LED 1.5" square
-he also wired up a 12v cigaret lighter outlet in the bed, wired to its own battery. it can be charged by plugging a 7 pin plug into the trailer plug
-removed the front sway bar
-removed the timbrens out back and put the factory bumps in
-mounted some "e-rail" metal track against the front of the bed, to secure the fuel and water cans
- cut a piece of carpet and screwed it down in the corners with some fender washers

photo 1(1).jpg

photo 2(1).jpg
I will try to snap a few more pictures tomorrow

also a picture of the race car, im getting so pumped!
photo 3(1).jpg

X3 on the cupholders. WORLD'S DUMBEST DESIGN! I'm using cupholders that attach to the front of the fold-down console, from Geno's Garage. Mucho mejor. I'm looking at fitting a 2m/70 radio in that spot. Good luck in Baja! Sounds like fun. :sombrero:

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
headed to Ensenada tomorrow at 7am.

didnt have time to paint the shell

-put on a new Rancho steering stabalizer
-removed the front sway bar

photo(1).jpg

photo(2).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member