Narrowest RTT?

coax

Adventurer
So I have been on the fence about a roof top tent for a while now. I had originally planned on building one, but I'm not sure I'll have the time now. However, most of the roof top tents I have seen take up the WHOLE roof. I would like to be able to keep my Thule roof Box on as well, which is about 18" wide. I'm wondering if anyone has run across narrow (lengthwise) tent that would mount beside the roof box. I don't mind running slightly wider roof bars, as long as they aren't the widest part of the vehicle. The landcruiser shows a width of 76" which is probably on the fender flares. So if the RTT was a max of 56 or so inches that might work.

Or does anyone turn the orientation so the tents fold out over the back tail gate, and if so, does it block the opening of the hatch?

I don't need a ton of space but I really don't want to give up the roof box for storage of all the stuff I hate putting in the cab (shovel, firewood, skis, etc).

Thoughts?

ScottReb

Adventurer
Most of the ARB, CVT, Mombasa and other chinese RTT are about 56". You can get Hannibal and Eezi-Awn both, I think in 1.2M so bout 48". I dont think you will have issue with your LX opening the hatch. I didnt have a RTT when I ran a cruiser but Im sure a cruiserhead will confirm.

coax

Adventurer
Cool, thanks for the info. I looked at the eezi-awn and also found another brand on sierra expeditions from searching (Howling Moon). Looks like at 48" that might be a good width. Plus possibly opening onto the ARB in the front would be an option. I'll have to give Sierra Ex. a call and see what the recommend.

ScottReb

Adventurer
I just got off the phone with Will at Sierra. If you call tomorrow Rou from BunduGear will be at Sierra Expedition. He is the sole importer and between the 2 of them they can answer all you want to know of Howling Moon or any other cool kit that he sell from South Africa.

jessejman

Adventurer
When I was searching I found the narrowest was 42" from Tepui Tents and it was fairly economical. It would be small but great for a small car.

jessejman

Adventurer
I've also seen a brand called Overland, nope, its overcamp, that is half the width of the vehicle by 96" and folds on it's long axis. I don't know where to source them but I bet it would fit on top next to the box. People use them when carrying kayaks that have to go on top. Search the in -progress adventures. There is someone running it who has an active thread.

Last edited:

Finlay

Triarius
So I have been on the fence about a roof top tent for a while now. I had originally planned on building one, but I'm not sure I'll have the time now. However, most of the roof top tents I have seen take up the WHOLE roof. I would like to be able to keep my Thule roof Box on as well, which is about 18" wide. I'm wondering if anyone has run across narrow (lengthwise) tent that would mount beside the roof box. I don't mind running slightly wider roof bars, as long as they aren't the widest part of the vehicle. The landcruiser shows a width of 76" which is probably on the fender flares. So if the RTT was a max of 56 or so inches that might work.

Or does anyone turn the orientation so the tents fold out over the back tail gate, and if so, does it block the opening of the hatch?

I don't need a ton of space but I really don't want to give up the roof box for storage of all the stuff I hate putting in the cab (shovel, firewood, skis, etc).

Thoughts?

Some do open out the back, and it may interfere with the hatch depending on the hatch design.

While I don't know of any traditional tent style RTTs that allow for storage, such as the Maggiolina Extreme from Autohome. They also have a narrow RTT called the Overcamp that might fit your needs.

Hope that helps.

coax

Adventurer
Awesome, thanks! I was gonna call anyway and that works out perfect! I did some reading on the Howling Moon and they look really nice.

coax

Adventurer
I've also seen a brand called Overland, nope, its overcamp, that is half the width of the vehicle by 96" and folds on it's long axis. I don't know where to source them but I bet it would fit on top next to the box. People use them when carrying kayaks that have to go on top. Search the in -progress adventures. There is someone running it who has an active thread.

Interesting! I like the idea of folding long ways. I'll have to look and see if there are any dealers around.

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Ya check out the smallest one tepui makes Ayer its 48w x 42 so if you have it open to the side instead of rear of vehicle it will give you more room .I have the autana model. Good luck

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94