What Emergency Supplies Do You Keep in Your Vehicle?

Joash

Adventurer
I'm wondering what most of you keep in your vehicles? I'm primarily interested in stuff to keep on board in the city for every day driving, not necessarily for overlanding. I apologize for going slightly off topic.

Expedition Leader
Water and some high-calorie food in the center console, and usually my small recovery kit in the back. I live out in the country and have had to pull people of ditches and fields a few times. Ham radio(s) are always in the truck too.

stioc

Expedition Leader
What types of high-calorie food and water containers are good for leaving in the car for longer periods of time say 2-6months? The heat inside a locked car that's frequently parked outside is probably too much for both food and water?

raven1911

Observer
Ham radio (both mobile and HT), medical supplies, food, wool blanket, water, flashlight, 3 different ways to make fire and Glock 17 with spare mag. In certain circumstances I will carry an AK rifle as well.:)

Joash

Adventurer
What are the three ways?

Ham radio (both mobile and HT), medical supplies, food, wool blanket, water, flashlight, 3 different ways to make fire and Glock 17 with spare mag. In certain circumstances I will carry an AK rifle as well.:)

HOOLIGAN

The 4x4 Podcast

You know three different ways to make a Glock 17?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Expedition Leader
What types of high-calorie food and water containers are good for leaving in the car for longer periods of time say 2-6months? The heat inside a locked car that's frequently parked outside is probably too much for both food and water?

I use Cliff's bars or similar and plain bottled water; they do fine for 2-6 months and I rotate them before then anyway. Heat not much of a problem for me since the top is not on in the summer.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: None-

I've gotta trailer if I wanna take any food !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Water, empty container for water, MRE, extra clothing, first-aid kit, blanket, towels (cloth and paper), pen, pencil, sharpie, notepad, book, basic tools, pilot survival knife, small half dome shelter, mb5C w/oob, clorox wipes (great for cleaning CPR manikins), Cyalume sticks, sock w/quarters, small box of laundry soap, small binoculars, Starbuck's gift card, 550 cord, and lot's of other stuff that may come in handy. A good deal is packed in to a back pack that stays in the truck. On trips there is some redundancy of equipment. I'd rather take two of something on a trip then leave it out after I return and need it on a routine day going to work. Minus the water it is probably no more than 30lbs. MPG be damned.

mrchips

Adventurer
Survival stuff like,,, water, sleeping bag, jacket, survival blanket,compass, medicine, first aid kit, matches, fire starter, 12v led utility light, bug spray, small inverter to charge phone etc, CB, fire extinguisher, and all the other regular stuff to go off road, tire repair stuff, fluids, recovery gear, tools, fan belt,hoses, and some other odds and ends.

mudbutt

Explorer
I don't have much to add as most has been covered. But I would add a spare pair of shoes to the list.

I will say that I think every vehicle on the road should have a fire extinguisher.

I had a fender-bender once right before a trip to the desert with the family. She hit me in the right rear quarter. After talking to the insurance company, I loaded up and headed out for the weekend towing a fifth wheel. I had crawled under the truck and checked it all out and thought it would be okay.

What I missed was the tail pipe was bent about an inch and touching the spare tire.

And of course the spare tire in a 1994 F350 is mounted directly below the gas tank.

1/2 an hour into the trip my wife said she smelled something burning so I pulled over.

Had it not been for the fire extinguisher I would have stood on the side of the road and watched truck and trailer burn to the ground.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
I've taken to pretty much keeping my camping stuff in my truck.

The short list off memory is recovery gear, blanket, tarp, water, 1st aid kit, 550 cord, tool kit, spare adujstable V belt, power inverter, drop light, misc.firearms/ammo/mags, dried food bed roll and foam pillow, table, cook set, utensils, extra flashlights, firestarters (lighter, flint, magnesium, fuel tabs, cotton balls), camp chair, folding table, various cutting tools, tent.

I'm always adding or pulling something, so the list varies, but I know I could live out of it immediately for at least a couple days, and with a bit more food and water, for several days.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Couple bottles of water, change of cloths, booster cables, tow strap, roadside emergency kit, first aid kit, flash light, energy bars...couple other things that I can't recall at the moment

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier