Looking for a project series 109 4 door in Alaska

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
Like the title says.
After following aka rover's terrific 109 thread and being inspired.
Finally decided to scratch the land rover itch and would like to get a series 4 door as a project truck.
Any leads or ideas are welcome. I will be back in town (Matsu valley) the end of Nov to start looking around.

:rally_guys:
Thank you

regards

Jim

Last edited:

repete

Observer
There is a clean red one for sale on arctic near Tudor. If I remember right it was close to 10k, but in great shape and a daily driver. I might know of one or two basket cases in Fairbanks.

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
Great info, thank you. Sounds like I might need to save a few dollars,
10K is a little outside of my project funding. How about those basket cases?

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
aka rover has some pictures of a virtual Series graveyard up there he pillaged. When he gets back from the end of the world, you might hit him up for details. He's pretty well plugged into the market up here, so he hears about a lot of stuff well before it hits the open market.

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
aka rover has some pictures of a virtual Series graveyard up there he pillaged. When he gets back from the end of the world, you might hit him up for details. He's pretty well plugged into the market up here, so he hears about a lot of stuff well before it hits the open market.

Thanx for the heads up. I will do exactly that when he gets back.

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
Well the search is over. Drove her home last night from Anchorage.
Very nice drive. The 2.8 is impressive.
Now I need to finnish building shelves in my shop so I can get her in for a once over and see what I have.

This is what the previous owner had in his add.

Engine: Less than 5,000 miles on new Automotive Comp Power Plus 2.8 liter, 5 bearing , Land Rover engine. Weber 32/36 DGV 2 bbl carb with new K & N re-useable air filter, BNWLR tubular exhaust header, negative earth conversion, alternator, Crane Fireball optically triggered ignition, new LR distributor, spin on oil filter adaptor, new clutch & release bearing, new exhaust pipe and muffler, Imperial electric radiator fan. Rovers North radiator muff, remanufactured BNLR starter, new fuel pump.

Drive Train: Ashcroft high ratio conversion transfer box. Series II transmission with four speeds all synchro-mesh. Truetrac gear driven limited-slip traction rear differential.

Suspension: new Rocky Mountain parabolic springs and gas shock absorbers.

Brakes: new brake drums, cylinders, Automec copper brake lines, flex hoses, BNWLR Safari brake shoes, Defender two circuit vacuum assisted master cylinder, new bleed screws, springs and snail cam adjusters.

Fuel: custom 12.5 gallon rear fuel tank and valving (in addition to stock fuel tank).

Tops: includes factory metal top with one openable ventilation window, lined with Dynamat sound proofing and white boat hull lining and Alpine windows. Canvas top and hoops with custom skylight over cockpit area. New genuine LR tailgate painted to match vehicle with galvanized fittings.

Tires: Two sets of tires mounted on eight steel rims: summer LT 235/85 R16 M+S Yokohama, winter studded LT 235/85 R16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires.

Other: Koenig PTO driven winch, rebuilt. Deluxe bonnet with spare tire carrier. Dual three person folding seats. Exmoor Trim moulded acoustic floor mat , bulkhead and seat box cover. Insect screens on dash louvers. Front driver and passenger seats with custom, integral headrests. New Hi-Lift jack (never used) with interior bulkhead mount. Tuffy lockable console-utility box. H4 headlights, metal halide backup light. Recent Land Rover mud flaps. Rovers North 1” machined aluminum wheel spacers (increases track by 2”). Black painted frame-no rust. New Rovers North class III 2” receiver type trailer hitch.

And a pic.

Rover Photo.jpg

rijosho

Adventurer
Congrats - cool looking truck! It certainly didn't start off at a "looking for a project Series" price over on RN, but hopefully the seller was (very) negotiable!

Michele

Observer
Wow,
that's a great starting point!

Oooooh, Koenig PTO :drool: me wants one for my 109"...I'm envious!

Tell more about the ACR 2.8, impressions, thoughts...:)

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
Wow,
that's a great starting point!

Oooooh, Koenig PTO :drool: me wants one for my 109"...I'm envious!

Tell more about the ACR 2.8, impressions, thoughts...:)

I have only driven it about 75 miles so far.
My 1st impression is it has a lot of low end torque and power.
Had no problem cruising at 55MPH with pedal to spare. I didnt want to push it on icy roads in the snow.
It accelerates fast and maintains speed up moderate hills.
The back of the truck was loaded down with spare parts and 5 tires on rims as well. The Kodiak heater is terrific, lots of heat.

Jim

matt s

Explorer
That's not a project! That is a beauty and probably a much better way to go than a real project. Heck you DROVE it home. That alone makes it better.

repete

Observer
Wait... You bought it??? Awesome!!! Be careful. Now that you've been bit by the rover bug, who knows what will happen next...

Michele

Observer
I have only driven it about 75 miles so far

Thanks, keep us updated here every now and then, while you clock up more and more miles.
ACR conversion is a lot of cash but also the only way to improve the 109" while keeping it road legal here,
so I always wondered if it was worth the effort.

Maybe in a future.

Do you have more pics?
Yours adorns my desktop now :safari-rig:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94