Expedition vehicle transmissions: Auto or manual?

thedjjack

Dream it build it
Apparently someone forgot to tell my 4 speed that it's clutch should be dead then.....

Wish my dad knew his clutch went 35years in his 66CJ5, plowed all winter, streams fording all summer....(he sold it at 35 years so who know hopefully the new owner knew to change it hate to think it is still plowing his driveway on the factory one?

bftank

Explorer
not a little bit manual, this much manual. it's going in the crew behind the cummins after i go through both of them.
f350 parts for truck big trans 13 speed.jpg

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:Wow1: What has that got to do with a jeep JK/JKU, like I was talking about ?????

Apparently someone forgot to tell my 4 speed that it's clutch should be dead then.....

Wish my dad knew his clutch went 35years in his 66CJ5, plowed all winter, streams fording all summer....(he sold it at 35 years so who know hopefully the new owner knew to change it hate to think it is still plowing his driveway on the factory one?

Readit again and forget your "CONTEX" quotes

:coffeedrink: JIMBO

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
OK, gotcha. So is this JK clutch issue a common problem? What is the known mode of failure? Just curious as most clutch setups are open to the environment to some degree or another. Why does the JK do this where a nearly 50 year old british clutch doesn't?

Caoboy

Adventurer
It's definitely different in a Manual. For 'typical' overlanding (not rock crawling) it's fine. Even rock crawling, it's not bad. I really learned how to use my Jeep, and it's limitations, on a 6/10 rated trail...I feel I drive my Jeep way better because of it.

thedjjack

Dream it build it
Readit again and forget your "CONTEX" quotes

no I can remember my dad out on the fender pulling the plugs on the Olds Odd Fire to clear the cylinders of water....getting back in firing it up and using the clutch to get moving again...

No BAM, except the time the transmission lost the counter shaft racing a Corvette or the time the Dana up front exploded trying to get the blow unstuck from a parking curb (diffs not meant to be feed power in reverse).....

I know my work truck has been stuck in water/mud for an hour while we winched it back out and clutch was used and fine...

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:) People seem to read what there minds tell them to, paying no attention to the subject of the paragraph-

OK, gotcha. So is this JK clutch issue a common problem? What is the known mode of failure? Just curious as most clutch setups are open to the environment to some degree or another. Why does the JK do this where a nearly 50 year old british clutch doesn't?

It's been a common problem for the JK/JKU from 2007 thru--NOW, the bellhousing/hyd clutch is open to water and has no draining addition, so water/mud will accumulate on the clutch disc and totally ruinit-

The hyd clutch system has no bleed vlv and utilizes the brake master cylinder for it's reservoir

I have no answer for ANY clutch that'll last 50 years without replacement-

no I can remember my dad out on the fender pulling the plugs on the Olds Odd Fire to clear the cylinders of water....getting back in firing it up and using the clutch to get moving again...

No BAM, except the time the transmission lost the counter shaft racing a Corvette or the time the Dana up front exploded trying to get the blow unstuck from a parking curb (diffs not meant to be feed power in reverse).....

I know my work truck has been stuck in water/mud for an hour while we winched it back out and clutch was used and fine...

I remember doing the same thing to one of my Dodge Rams in the early '70s, on a Northern Pacific Ocean beach explore--, but I wasn't talking about automotive history and clutchs from around the world---was I

End of conversation

:coffee: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior