Overland Navigator: New product launch

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Craig: Can your software easily/quickly toggle between GPS routing and non-GPS routing maps? Ideally it would be nice to be able to adjust the scale/view of each GPS "on/off" modes...

Can you actually use the software to auto-route/navigate off-road? I.e.: Mark a waypoint/destination and have it auto-route to that destination?

How many routes, waypoints does it support?

Another vote for California, Nevada + Oregon!

Thanks,
Dan

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
spressomon said:
Craig: Can your software easily/quickly toggle between GPS routing and non-GPS routing maps? Ideally it would be nice to be able to adjust the scale/view of each GPS "on/off" modes...

Can you actually use the software to auto-route/navigate off-road? I.e.: Mark a waypoint/destination and have it auto-route to that destination?

How many routes, waypoints does it support?

Another vote for California, Nevada + Oregon!

Thanks,
Dan

Right now, there is no support for routing. You are the routing engine. :) I've given a lot of thought to routing support for use in rural environments and even written a prototype, unfortunately the data that is currently available from TeleAtlas and Navtec (the road networks) isn't sufficiently detailed for reliable off-pavement routing. E.g. There is no distinction between a 4x4 trail and a Forest Service road, no awareness of gates, etc. So, while it can be done technically, it can't be done reliably or in the manner in which one would expect.

By adjusting the scale/view I assume you mean adjust when it switches from one set of maps to another as you zoom in/out. This isn't exposed via the user interface, but it is very easily modified via the registry.. wait, that sounds geeky and nerdy. I can easily add that as a feature to the settings utility and will add it to my TODO list. In order to get the scale accurate, you will have to calibrate your screen (specify the height/width in inches).

It doesn't support GPX routes, only tracks and waypoints. Tracks and waypoints are essentially only limited by the amount of available memory. The tracks are indexed with a spatial index when loaded, so having many tracks that aren't inside the current map window doesn't cause a degradation in performance.

OR, AZ, and CA are nearly complete.

Craig

craig

I have this nagging idea that I should probably add support for Utah soon.

:)

C

overlander

Expedition Leader
So I'm building a carpc with touchscreen, and wondering when the rest of the states will be available for this? Are there any updates to this?

craig

overlander said:
So I'm building a carpc with touchscreen, and wondering when the rest of the states will be available for this? Are there any updates to this?

Work on the map sets was put on hold for the past couple of months while I ramped up on a new contract. It resumed a couple of days ago, as I too, am interested in getting maps compiled for additional states for use in the upcoming Overland/Offroading season.

Unfortunately there aren't any immediate plans to support the entire US at the 1:24k level. By immediate I mean the next 3-6 months. Other than a few problem quads the Western US is essentially complete and you should start seeing individual states being released one at a time over the next couple of months.

If there is sufficient interest I might consider doing a US wide version that goes down to the 1:100k level.
Craig

Last edited:

craig

IH8RDS said:
:violent-smiley-031:

I have a Jenson navigator that runs CE. Any plans for the future?

Nothing concrete. I like the pricepoint on the Windows CE hardware, and have developed Windows CE mapping packages in the past so it is something that I'd like to do down the road. I don't have any plans now though.

Craig

overlander

Expedition Leader
craig said:
If there is sufficient interest I might consider doing a US wide version that goes down to the 1:100k level.
Craig

I'm in NC, but I'm in. 100k is a good start for my carpc project in my 110. I want moving topo on my planned dash touchscreen :smiley_drive: , so I'll go public and say let's get'er done. The only competition you have is Topo 7 and OziExplorer, which really isn't competition for touchscreen applications once you have the maps.

Who's with me? :luxhello:

IH8RDS

Explorer
craig said:
Nothing concrete. I like the pricepoint on the Windows CE hardware, and have developed Windows CE mapping packages in the past so it is something that I'd like to do down the road. I don't have any plans now though.

Craig

Thanks for your response. So the is a 1 in 1,000,000 chance. :hehe:

If you need a beta tester, let me know. :wavey:

rmccoy

Observer
Looks great. Can't wait for the CA maps so I can try it out on my tabletpc. I like the ability to make use of the touchscreen feature on the tabletpc.

PCRover

Adventurer
What will the additional states cost? Will they be released packaged with the software, or just as add ons to the current release?

craig

Pricing for additional states will be based on the size of the state or region. A decision to sell the state data as a separate product that is unbundled from the Overland Navigator software hasn't been made yet. There have been a few requests now and it is currently under consideration.

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke