Overland Navigator: New product launch

Scott Brady

Founder
Our member, Craig Miller has developed an awesome new navigation package worth checking out:

Our member, Craig Miller has developed an awesome new navigation package worth checking out:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

OVERLAND NAVIGATOR SOFTWARE RELEASED
FIRST TOPOGRAPHIC MAPPING SOFTWARE AVAILABLE FOR TOUCHSCREEN / PEN BASED COMPUTERS

MT VERNON, WA (October 10, 2008) – Spatial Minds, LLC has released Overland Navigator the first touchscreen friendly Topographic GPS Mapping software for Windows. With the proliferation of tablet, convertible, and Microsoft’s new Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC) computers, support for touch and pen based software input is at an all time high. As part of an entire “Field Friendly” software design, Overland Navigator is the first topographic mapping software to allow easy map manipulation even when wearing gloves and working in bright sunlight. Overland Navigator is moving topographic mapping off the desktop and into the field.
Overland Navigator mosaics detailed USGS Topographic maps and displays them as a single seamless interactive map. The map can be panned and zoomed with the touch of a finger, pen, or mouse. GPS Tracks are automatically displayed when a USB storage device is inserted. If a GPS is connected it will show the current location, position the map at the location, record a track log, and mark any points of interest.
Overland Navigator User’s don’t need to worry about folding it, drawing on it, bringing the right map, or figuring out which map they should be looking at (the GPS positions it for them). Overland Navigator makes Topographic GPS mapping simple and easy at home and in the field.
• Touchscreen and Pen Computing Compatible
• Field Friendly
• Seamless USGS Topgraphic Maps
• Automatic Map Display
• Display Current GPS Position
• Automatic Panning
• Manual Panning
• Zoom In / Zoom Out
• Show GPS Tracks
• Automatic GPX Track Display on Memory Stick Insertion
• Record GPS Track
• Record GPS Waypoint
• Remote Control Software Compatible
• Windows Messaging API
• Car PC software compatible
• Windows Vista "Aero" style user interface
• Windows Vista Compatible
Learn more at http://www.overlandnavigator.com
Overland Navigator is compatible with Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP, NT and Vista.

Overland Navigator provides seamless detailed USGS 1:250,000, 1:100,000 and 1:24,000 scale maps. Map and Software updates for 2 years are included via a free download.

Overland Navigator can be ordered online at http://www.overlandnavigator.com. Suggested retail price is $79.95.

###

Note: Artwork is available on request. Contact Craig Miller at (206) 331-3952 or sales@spatialminds.com

###

Contacts:
Craig Miller
Spatial Minds, LLC
(206) 331-3952
sales@spatialminds.com

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
wow that is very cool...
I have been considering downsizing my laptop since it is big and heavy...
many of the smaller toughbooks are touchscreen and this would be a nice product to try out in comparison to oziexplorer.
Thanks for the heads up

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Wow! Hey thanks Scott. :)

I'll be releasing map packs for Oregon and Arizona within the next couple of weeks, and other states to follow (especially if there is strong interest in a particular state).

The software will of course continue to evolve so if anyone has any ideas they've always wished would be in a mapping package please send me a PM or email them to support@spatialminds.com. I'd love to hear from you.

Craig

PCRover

Adventurer
Looks great! I use Roadrunner and this would be perfect for me. Don't forget us California guys! I would buy Nevada too. Actually a NV,CA package would be cool.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Since I am computer/software challenged to say the least (severely handicapped is more like it), I'm gonna say you guys should use map and compass. Computers and GPS are cheating :shakin:

Nice software! If I ever join the modern age, maybe I'll look into it.

craig

The BN Guy said:
Nice program! Yet another reason to get a PDA.

Unfortunately it won't run under WindowsCE. The EO Tuftab, Samsung Q1 Tablet, etc are small devices but run Windows XP or or Vista. They are a good size for the truck as they don't clutter up the cabin as much as a laptop, but give you the benefits of a larger screen and full computer.

Craig

craig

The BN Guy said:
Wow those get a little pricey for me. Guess I'll just keep my laptop.

Yeah, I know what you mean; especially the ruggedized ones like the EO. The Samsung Q1 can be had for $730 new, and I've seen it as low as $300 on eBay.

Regular laptops, convertibles, and non-ruggedized tablets work well with the software too. A UMPC works exceptionally well for this, but it isn't a requirement.

Craig

Last edited:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Well done Craig! It is great to see your concept come to life.

:Astrologist: Any chance for a mac version?

craig

Desertdude said:
Well done Craig! It is great to see your concept come to life.

:Astrologist: Any chance for a mac version?

While not officially supported, I've been told by one of the beta-testers that it does run quite well under parallels. :) Eventually I will port it and officially support it but it isn't on the schedule yet.

Craig

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles