Overland Navigator: New product launch

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Overland Navigator version 2.0.1 has been released. See the release thread here.

craig

Overland Navigator now has complete USGS Topographic map coverage for the US Lower 48. Florida and New England Map-packs are now available in our webstore.

http://spatialminds.com

Last edited:

craig

Will you be releasing high resolution satellite imagery packs in the future?

Thanks,

-Dan

Thanks for the interest Dan.

Possibly in the future, but right now the only thing on the roadmap is the next version of the software (A major update). Once that is complete, I'll evaluate the list of requested features and decide what to work on next. Wish I had 5 of me!

If you submit this request to support@spatialminds.com, it will be added to our feature request tracking system.

craig

Version 3.0 of Overland Navigator is going to have a 100% transparent design process where the community is invited to give feedback on the design and as the software is created. Everything in the existing application is getting re-evaluated and redesigned including the supported hardware platform(s?). If you'd like to participate in the discussion of the *ideal* in-vehicle navigation system please head over to https://www.facebook.com/overlandnavigator and jump right in by voting for the hardware platform you think we should target.

Don't stop there though. I'll begin the actual design, and design review process once the hardware platform has been selected. Once the design is completed, I'll code a handful of features at a time and make an alpha release available to everyone. You can try it, then provide input and feedback that we'll use to direct the next round of improvements and features. The aim being to perform rapid development and get a lot of community input as the product is developed so we can make course corrections before getting too far into the application.

This is your chance to engage in a dialogue directly with the software developer that will write the code.

Craig

theksmith

Explorer
so is Overland Navigator for the PC (2.1) a dead-end product?

- it's no longer being sold as a boxed product, and there is no online store yet to purchase it in download form...
- the new iOS release is named version 3.0 instead of it being a separate product...

so have you abandoned those of us that have no interest in tablets, nor could give 2 sh!ts about any mac product ever made?

craig

No, I have not abandoned Windows. Overland Navigator 3.0 for iOS will be developed first, then the Windows version. At this time, the Windows version is about 30% complete.

The new online store with digital downloads should be up and running this week. Amazon webstore tech support misunderstood a request I made asking "How I close my store when I'm ready?" as "Please close my store now". This caught me flat footed and I'm scrambling to get the new store online.

Craig

Last edited:

theksmith

Explorer
No, I have not abandoned Windows. Overland Navigator 3.0 for iOS will be developed first, then the Windows version. At this time, the Windows version is about 30% complete.

The new online store with digital downloads should be up and running this week. Amazon webstore tech support misunderstood a request I made asking "How I close my store when I'm ready?" as "Please close my store now". This caught me flat footed and I'm scrambling to get the new store online.

Craig

awesome! (that you are keeping up a PC version - not that Amazon hosed you, sorry to hear that, I've been in the exact same situation with a service vendor before.)

do you ever anticipate making vector-based maps with routing capability an option? what about higher detail aerial/sat imagery? 3D views? integration with an open source street map provider?

thanks!

craig

Yep, I've given A LOT of thought to vector maps, routing, better imagery, 3D views (vector only), and OSM integration. They are all features I'd like to implement. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles