bfdiesel's F350 Crew Cab

bfdiesel

Explorer
First problem is this one no run.
IMG_0302.jpg
Looks like it had a ladder rack that tore up the front of the bed.
IMG_0285.jpg
IMG_0294.jpg
Came with this to fix the no run problem
IMG_0295.jpg
Was told this means Ford reman.
IMG_0297.jpg

bfdiesel

Explorer
Supposed to be a 91 7.3 ford reman. I haven't looked at it to hard other than to see it is all there and will rotate when you wrench it over. The clutch that is in the truck currently is supposed to have a solid flywheel which will be nice as I have been in bftanks with the bad dual mass and it is interesting to say the least.
Pulled the batteries out of it last night and they were froze solid not sure if I will be able to save them as they are still reading .7 volts this morning.

bftank

Explorer
i am in denver for turkey day until sunday i believe. i can come up there dec 3rd-9th though.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
i am in denver for turkey day until sunday i believe. i can come up there dec 3rd-9th though.

That should be just enough time to do the 12 valve swap:elkgrin:

On a more serious note, congrats on the new yard ornament! Mine came with the same ladder rack damage, which Mr Miller and I quickly stitched up. Looks like your weather is like ours now... Hope you have a warm shop for the motor swap!

bfdiesel

Explorer
I think I will pratice my tig welding to fix the bed damage, but that is a ways out first is the motor swap. It is still warming up during the day here and we will be able to get the front into my brother's garage. Probably tarp over the back and turn on some propane if it gets too cold. I am going to work on pulling the core support as time allows so the motor can come out fairly straight it is a heavy motor to lift 5 and a half feet into the air. I also need to swap all the pulleys and accessories over to keep the serpintine belt set up.

Shiryas

Adventurer
bfdiesel,

Nice looking truck to start with. We have the beginnings of a fleet with you, bftank and myself.

Good luck with the swap, hope the batteries are salvageable. If not, Interstate Batteries in GJ sells their blems and seconds and mine have held up for 4 years just fine in my 97 CC 7.3.

Cheers, Chris

Rot Box

Explorer
I was actually going to recommend not using the serpentine system. They are frowned on in the IDI world and many people actually swap over to the v-belts. I think it has to do with Fords bracketry and how poorly it all lines up. Even with new idlers and belt they have given many people a lot of grief and it seems we see a post about it monthly on OB. Also when one v-belt gives you still have some accessories if a serpentine breaks you're hosed.

The single mass flywheel is a reliable upgrade but it comes at a price. The DMF absorbs the engines harmonics but the SMF doesn't. It sends them into the transmission which is fine but you will get a LOT of 'roll over' / gear noise. 50wt ATF helps with this so does boosting the idle speed up.

Sorry to clutter up your thread with all my commentary :eek:

bfdiesel

Explorer
I was actually going to recommend not using the serpentine system. They are frowned on in the IDI world and many people actually swap over to the v-belts. I think it has to do with Fords bracketry and how poorly it all lines up. Even with new idlers and belt they have given many people a lot of grief and it seems we see a post about it monthly on OB. Also when one v-belt gives you still have some accessories if a serpentine breaks you're hosed.

The single mass flywheel is a reliable upgrade but it comes at a price. The DMF absorbs the engines harmonics but the SMF doesn't. It sends them into the transmission which is fine but you will get a LOT of 'roll over' / gear noise. 50wt ATF helps with this so does boosting the idle speed up.

Sorry to clutter up your thread with all my commentary :eek:
Feel free to clutter I am learning with 7.3 idi. I will look into keeping the v belts. I was thinking about it last night just from if something fails you should at least be able to keep the water pump spinning. Assuming that isn't what failed.

Shiryas

Adventurer
The ZF 5 speed in my truck blew up because of the DMF.

I researched about the 7.3 flywheel problems on a number of forums and decided on a solid one from Valair with clutch and kit (Southbend also has a good reputation). The forums online also mentioned the increased transmission noise that Rot Box is talking about, and a lot of people on the forums put in an extra quart of ATF (Dexron Mercon? I think?)

In talking with the rebuild mechanic at National he said both of these things would be fine. The solid flywheel should not 'shorten' the life of the transmission and an extra quart is not going to hurt anything, "just fill it with the top bolt on the PTO cover and it will be fine". I do not think it is overly loud, especially over the diesel. Truthfully I can not pick out the noise from the transmission over the engine.

If memory serves me I think this was almost exactly one quart more, from 4 to 5, maybe, its been a while.

If you need interior grey seats I have a 40/20/40 and bench in grey in my garage that I would love to sell, cheap.

Just for FYI, there are two ZF transmissions for the Ford OBS Diesels. The early S-42 and the latter S-47. I 'think' they all interchange but I am not certain. Might make sure of this before you work on the 7.3 only to find it will not bolt to the 6.9 S-42 transmission. Again, I don't know, just trying to avoid future problems.

Cheers, Chris

Last edited:

bfdiesel

Explorer
I would be lying if i said I have no interest in those seats, but first things first I have to get under its own power or my wife will evil eye me to death. Especially with xmas so close.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94