CUCV Build PLAN

elee

Observer
First off I do not own a CUCV, but who says I cant share the build plan I would take. I WILL get one, one day when funds are up to it.
The target vehicle would preferably be a M1028 due to the NP205 T-Case and the limited slip in the front D60, but a M1008 would be just fine w/NP208 and open front D60.
Specs:
6.2L Detroit J-Code NA diesel engine HUGE POWER 155HP 240TQ:Wow1:
TH400 Trans
D60 Front opt. Limited-Slip
14 Bolt FF Rear w/locker
NP208 opt. NP205
4.56 gears
235/85R16 Tires

us_cucv_M1008-001i.jpg

Full service will be first
Replace the weatherstripping
ORD 4" lift with all the goodies
New steel wheels w/ 35" tires
Custom Cab Over Ladder/Bed Cage
RTT
On board air
Front and Rear Reciever Hitch w/ Multi-Mount Winch
Lights pointing every direction possible
And MAYBE a bobbed bed...
All in all a very capable, slow, campster.
Enjoy!

kfgk14

Adventurer
I'd add crossover steering to that, it really improves off-road handling in those old square bodies. I plan on this very build next summer, when I sell this friggen box car Subie i'm stuck with!

If you're going up 4" may as well go for some cheap military 37's from 100dollarman or trail worthy fab. You may have to clearance your fenders a bit, but nothing a sawzall and a hammer can't do :Mechanic:

I'm planning on either a gear vendor's overdrive or a NV4500 swap when I build my rig, make the thing capable of highway speeds.

One question, you mentioned a roof top tent...what's the logic for you on tent vs. bed cap/camper shell?

elee

Observer
Those have not crossed my mind.... the gears are turning now!
How about you hurry up and start building it and make a thread so I can sit back and be jealous?!

kfgk14

Adventurer
Those have not crossed my mind.... the gears are turning now!
How about you hurry up and start building it and make a thread so I can sit back and be jealous?!

Check out the war wag build on here, can't remember who did that one but it's a M1028 and it's sick!

I'm about $4k short of having a decent CUCV any time soon, unless I can convince the parents to make it otherwise :(

I've got a crappy Subaru though, and it gets me by for now :elkgrin:

bfdiesel

Explorer
I would do a nv4500 before I would pony up for a gearbenders. Have you ever driven a 6.2. You might want to before you make to may plans hinging on one.

elee

Observer
My attack would be put larger tires to quite down the RPMs. I have driven a couple 6.2's they......well.... sound good and thats bout it!

bfdiesel

Explorer
My attack would be put larger tires to quite down the RPMs. I have driven a couple 6.2's they......well.... sound good and thats bout it!

They sound better than a 6.5. However a 12 v cummins is my favorite noise maker. I run the larger tires and all it really does is make fuel mileage go down and speed drop even faster on the hills.

elee

Observer
They sound better than a 6.5. However a 12 v cummins is my favorite noise maker. I run the larger tires and all it really does is make fuel mileage go down and speed drop even faster on the hills.

Being in the foothills of GA the land is just rolling hills mainly. But Honestly Im not after anything fast.

kfgk14

Adventurer
I'd turbo it before any of the other mods you suggest. Well, if you've got that kind of money.

Eh, at that point...f^@& it, just get a 12 valve with a P7100 and make real power! I priced out a turbo for a 6.2, even if you get lots of parts used/second hand your looking at probably a grand or more, unless you happen to get real lucky. At that point I can get a 12 valve w/nv4500/205 for ~$1500-$1800 and sell the 6.2/TH400/208 for $500-$800, only end up with $800 to maybe $1k in it. Just some fab work and parts hunting after that to have way more power and torque under the hood.

I've been contemplating this for a long time...I swing from the full Cummins swap, to a turbo kit and a 5 speed, and back again...gotta get the truck first of course, it's all theoretical for now.

el-cid

Observer
A 12 valve Cummins with a NV4500 & a NP205 for $1500-$1800? Start crating those up and shipping them out here; it's hard to get a running Cummins motor with a zillion miles for about double that around here.

kfgk14

Adventurer
A 12 valve Cummins with a NV4500 & a NP205 for $1500-$1800? Start crating those up and shipping them out here; it's hard to get a running Cummins motor with a zillion miles for about double that around here.

Oh, wait, misread my prices...closer to $2500-$2800 for the whole package...that's without any real guarantee of condition, with (probably) a crap ton of miles.

Eh, still cheaper than trying to make that kind of power in the 6.2 :coffee:

bfdiesel

Explorer
Not running piles of cummins go for around 3k. One that just burned its wire harness up went for 3.5k and had 300k on the clock. I would figure closer to 5k if you do it yourself, fab everything yourself, and don't plan on seeing what is inside the engine before you put it in. A 4bt figure 2k-3k more.

A cummins swap would be sweet though. I think I would love a 4bt in my burb and a 6bt in the ford I just bought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94