anyone have any pics/ideas for mounting portable generator?

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Contact FMB truck body. Mike can make what ever you want, do it cleanly and to exact specifications, and do it reasonably. It would be a good shipping bill though. But Mike maybe able to recomend someone closer. I have used them and I think AT has used them in the past. They are located in California. You can see their work on my website, as I use them for custom storage boxes and an enclosed propane tank.

I leave my Honda generator out, use a highend bicycle cable lock system and a rachet tiedown. Have done it for about 4 years now, and no problems. I use the Honda generators for back up on solar cell sites. They have no real problems being out in the elements. A fantastic piece of equipment.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest, most trailworthy
Off Road Tear Drop made

New videos on the website.
Beautiful pass areas in Colorado

Jevy

Adventurer
Normally I agree with you on me being overly cautious on the generator but I live just outside of Memphis, Tn which should be considered the pit of hell. :) .....seriously theft of tools/equipment is a very serious issue in my area. I know most likely when out camping my stuff will be fine. Main reason I worry is for when stopping on a trip either at a store like Walmart for supplies or gas stations when inside to pay etc.

Contact FMB truck body. Mike can make what ever you want, do it cleanly and to exact specifications, and do it reasonably. It would be a good shipping bill though. But Mike maybe able to recomend someone closer. I have used them and I think AT has used them in the past. They are located in California. You can see their work on my website, as I use them for custom storage boxes and an enclosed propane tank.

I leave my Honda generator out, use a highend bicycle cable lock system and a rachet tiedown. Have done it for about 4 years now, and no problems. I use the Honda generators for back up on solar cell sites. They have no real problems being out in the elements. A fantastic piece of equipment.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest, most trailworthy
Off Road Tear Drop made

New videos on the website.
Beautiful pass areas in Colorado

ThirstyCamel

I put mine in my 416 trailer while traveling and pull it out and put it about 50 feet (I use a 50 ft extension cord) away from the campsite when I make camp. Quieter that way; 50 feet makes all the difference in the world.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
That price is ridiculous especially for something that uses velcro to secure the doors!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Agreed, put another way, I'd say you'd be pretty stupid to pay that, any welding shop in town would build it custom for half that!

I'd go for a small dolly for a remote power location as well. Fuel smell and noise, I'm a light sleeper.

loren85022

Explorer
I run a Honda 1000. It's mounted in the trailer but I've found that even though it's pretty quiet, I still prefer to remove it and walk it behind a tree or down the hill a bit to run it. So my suggestion would be to make it relatively easy to remove it. That said, they are certainly attractive to thieves as you travel so getting it secured is also important. Using the handle to run a lock/chain is not sufficient as the plastic handle can be cut.

toymaster

Explorer
I put mine in my 416 trailer while traveling and pull it out and put it about 50 feet (I use a 50 ft extension cord) away from the campsite when I make camp. Quieter that way; 50 feet makes all the difference in the world.

That is reminiscent of a scene in the movie "Tremors". Good movie...the original, of course.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
My truck came with this shelf on the back, which I understand was originally to carry jerry cans for dirt bikes.

IMG_0306.jpg

I turned it into a generator box by cutting up a diamond plate aluminum pickup truck tool box (cross-bed type) that I got for 60 bucks off Craig's List (the welds were breaking, which was fine since it saved me the trouble of cutting them) and using bed frame angle iron, which is what the original shelf is made from anyway.

The top opens up, and I made the front of the box with hinges at the bottom, so the front could drop down as well. This makes it easy to get the gen in and out of the box for maintenance, and also allows me to open it up when the gen is running.

It gets HOT in that box. I also drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom and sides for air flow and used a piece of 1" steel electrician's flex to direct the exhaust out the bottom corner of the box (just slips over the end of the exhaust and a couple of springs to hold it in place).

I was even able to use the toolbox's locking handle. Later, I added a straight piece of strap iron (using a bolt at one end for a pivot and with a hole at the other end, and matching hole on the frame of the top), which I can use to hold the lid open about 4 inches and use a padlock to hold it there. That way, when it's not too hot outside, or it's raining, I can raise the lid and lock it in place to let the heat out, while still keeping the top down enough to keep the rain off, and still have the box locked.

Sorry, no pics.

Stephan Stewart added a Honda to his Mog, and the mounting is pretty cool. Dunno if he bought it or had it made. Last two pics on this page:

http://www.xor.org.uk/unimog/mymog/electrics.htm

Note the spacer at the bottom of the door, to hold the gen in place while also allowing a cord to be plugged in. My original gen was one of the Honeywells, and there was no clearance problem, but I later replaced it with a small Champion which is a bit wider, and so I have to use a cord with a 90 degree head on it to be able to close the front with a cord plugged in. I just use a short "applicance extension cord":

http://www.amazon.com/PETRA-15-0303...9184&sr=8-4&keywords=extension+cord+appliance

wyojoe

Adventurer
I've seen a lot of trucks with slide-in campers carrying generators on a "hitch-haul" type of basket on the front of the truck. Perhaps something like this would be useful for you, as you could use either an off-the-shelf basket or a custom mount in the front receiver (if you have one). This would allow you to use it when you need it, but remove it fairly easily when you don't. Also, it would provide the ability to lock it to your vehicle while you have it installed, and if you leave it attached while you're using it, the vehicle could be used to shield some of the noise of the generator.

UNI

Adventurer
Generator Mount

We have a 2" receiver on the back of our trailer, we had a tray welded up that holds a Yamaha 1000 Generator. The generator stays on the tray, slide the tray off and set it in place, away from the trailer. We had legs added to the tray, so if it rained or the ground was muddy, the generator was off the ground and not setting in water. We just un-strap the generator, pull off the cover and start it up and run a extension cord to what ever needs power. No complaints, works great. Hope this helps!

UNI

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I just thought of this. Get a old hinge top Snap On Tool Box and gut it. If you want to get fancy line the inside with diamond trad aluminum. when you are done, it's locked, secured, and protected from the elements. You would just have to seal it. If you make it removable and you can have it open when in use to protect it there too.
Here's one dirt cheap, $75
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/3405258632.html

generatorbox2.jpg

generatorbox.jpg

80DDYota

This is how I mounted mine. Use to power tools, welder, work lights, air compressure. Haven't taken camping just yet. It's still work in progress. It can be removed if need be.

Photo231.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94