LifeRemotely

Observer
bread_done.JPG

Makes: 1 loaf
Prep time: 30 minutes
Dough rising time: 2 hours
Cook time: 45 minutes to one hour
Estimated cost: $2

Yes, you can bake in a Dutch oven. In fact it is one of the most rewarding parts of owning one. This recipe is a simple and can be altered to make herb bread or smaller rolls.

The trick is to give the dough plenty of time to rise.
Ingredients

• 1 ½ tbsp dry yeast
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 2 ½ cups bread flower, white flour is ok.
  • 1 cup of water

Optionally you can add extra yummy bits to the dough:
  • Garlic, finely chopped
  • Oregano
  • Parsley
  • Parmesan cheese

The Steps

1. Heat the water to about 100° F. You should be able to hold your finger in the water for 5 seconds without it burning. Add sugar and yeast to the water. Let stand until foaming, about 5 minutes.
  2. Place the flour into a bowl and add the salt and oil. When the yeast is active (foaming) add ¾ of the yeast mixture to 2 cups flour.
  3. Mix the flour and water mix with a fork until it is mostly combined. TIP: If the dough is wet add more flour, if dry add a little bit more yeast mixture. Small amounts at a time.
  4. Knead the dough with your hands for a least 10 minutes.
  5. Coat the inside of a bowl lightly in oil and place the dough in the bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and set in a warm spot to rise for one hour.
  6. Once it has doubled in size, take the dough out of the bowl and form it into the shape of the bread you want to bake. Place it in a lightly oiled Dutch oven, put the lid on the oven and let the dough rise for another hour. The colder the temperature outside the longer you will need to wait for it to rise.
  7. bread_fire.JPG
    Start a small charcoal fire or a larger wood fire so you can get some coals to place under the pot and on top of the lid.
  8. Build a secure base of bricks or rocks to place the Dutch oven on– make sure there is air flow underneath. When the fire is ready, place a few coals around the base that you set the pot on. Keep a separate pile of coals to stoke the fire with.

Keep Reading>>>

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Fine, fine fine, oooook! Geez! I'll make this in the dutch over for thanksgiving. Stop giving me cravings for good food already!

BIGGUY

Adventurer
Nice. I've eaten a lot of food cooked in Dutch ovens. My nephews Scout leader worked with the program and cooked in them for over 35 years. Awesome stuff.

h2os2

Adventurer
Sounds yummy! Bookmarked your recipe, we cook most of our camping meals with a dutch oven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online