Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Winter duds

Default Favorite Winter duds

So what's your favorite duds for autumn and winter months. North Face fleece here is a staple for me. Cabelas and LL Bean popular as well.

Anyone used the Cabelas Berber Fleece line?
    2004 UZJ100 Land Cruiser
    "The Warpig"

My build-
    http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=14449

DaktariEd is offline Expedition Portal Team 2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
    Usually a cotton t-shirt and maybe a long sleeve LL Bean "chamois" shirt...if it's really cold (45˚)

1982 Land Cruiser FJ40 w/Horizon Adventure Trailer
    K7EDB

Hold fast to your dreams.
    For if your dreams die,
    then life is like a broken winged bird
    that cannot fly.

In (burning) SoCal right now it isn't really cold in the winter here..... however I do get into the mountains a fair amount so I know what "cold" means.

In cold weather I need a few days to acclimate. I like long sleeve zip neck tops that I can adjust to vent for physical activity. My favorite next layer is a Mountain Hardwear vest using Gore Windstopper. It protects me from chilly breezes but I won't overheat. I usually wear lightweight long pants, hiking/cargo style with pockets and made of synthetic. For colder weather I have pants made of Scholler extreme fabric; very breathable, water repellent and tough. Sometimes I'll use a fleece hat and thin polypro gloves.

I also have a Arcteryx jacket (Gamma MX hoody) that uses Polartec Powershield fleece. A killer jacket, good for anything but rain, very breathable and wind resistant. I like having a hood to pull up instead of a hat as i don't like to get the back of my neck chilled. That jacket took a beating on Denali and it just won't wear out.
    Jim
    4x4 Tourist

Trip reports are on my Blog: "Sun To The North"

Two Favorite Expo Quotes: "A bad day on the trail is better than a good day in the city" & "Bad days make for GREAT stories!"

pskhaat is offline Expedition Portal Moderator 2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
    Ed beat me to it, but some shorts and a t-shirt work really well for winter here.

Further North, it's either Filson, Carhartt, or Spyder all the way.
    Pskhaat (Scott)
    FZJ80 über rare "Geen", cloth'd & locked

Call me a sucker for the mountain lifestyle, but I have recently taken a liking to the Cloudveil lineup
    2003 4runner SR5; Bridgestone Revo A/T's 265/70/17

2001 Tacoma SR5 TRD Dbl Cab (RIP gone to the crusher)

My three season coat is a Cabela's Goretex Northern Lite - and for the moderately cold weather we see occasionally, upper teens/low twenties, I use a 300 series fleece under it. It's warm without bulk, and water/wind proof to boot.

But, for the really cold weather I break out my favorites - Minnietonka shearling slippers and a pile of wood for the stove
    I don't know what to say, but God Bless America.

I have some nice gear from mountain hardware, but lately I've been wearing a cheap walmart fleece over carhart unlined bibs. I spend a lot of time under the jeep, so there's no sense ruining anything good. edit: also polypro undies and t-shirt b/c sweat dries quicker
    Last edited by BigAl; 11-14-2007 at 11:18 PM.
    My Jeep

Taj-Mah-Al 6x10-Cargo-Trailer

Proud member of the Appalachian Ridgerunner Supreme Expedition Squad A.R.S.E.S.

Carhart canvas jacket/overalls, LL Bean wool shirt, fleece lined jeans, thick wool socks, and Carhart boots. If it gets too cold for that combo, I also have an LL Bean wool w/fleece lined sweater. Also, the usual assortment of wool hats/scarves/gloves, etc. And if it gets too cold for all that.......someplace with a hot drink, my girl friend/other friends, a fireplace, and good food.
    I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert

http://clarkwhite.smugmug.com/

Here in FL I Love my chaco sandals, Jeans, Arc-Teryx sweater, and a t-shirt.

Aaron

It varies depending on the activity and weather conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by LC/LR4Life
    So what's your favorite duds for autumn and winter months. North Face fleece here is a staple for me. Cabelas and LL Bean popular as well.

Anyone used the Cabelas Berber Fleece line?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast