Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Winter duds

Default Favorite Winter duds

So what's your favorite duds for autumn and winter months. North Face fleece here is a staple for me. Cabelas and LL Bean popular as well.

Anyone used the Cabelas Berber Fleece line?
    2004 UZJ100 Land Cruiser
    "The Warpig"

My build-
    http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=14449

DaktariEd is offline Expedition Portal Team 2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
    Usually a cotton t-shirt and maybe a long sleeve LL Bean "chamois" shirt...if it's really cold (45˚)

1982 Land Cruiser FJ40 w/Horizon Adventure Trailer
    K7EDB

Hold fast to your dreams.
    For if your dreams die,
    then life is like a broken winged bird
    that cannot fly.

In (burning) SoCal right now it isn't really cold in the winter here..... however I do get into the mountains a fair amount so I know what "cold" means.

In cold weather I need a few days to acclimate. I like long sleeve zip neck tops that I can adjust to vent for physical activity. My favorite next layer is a Mountain Hardwear vest using Gore Windstopper. It protects me from chilly breezes but I won't overheat. I usually wear lightweight long pants, hiking/cargo style with pockets and made of synthetic. For colder weather I have pants made of Scholler extreme fabric; very breathable, water repellent and tough. Sometimes I'll use a fleece hat and thin polypro gloves.

I also have a Arcteryx jacket (Gamma MX hoody) that uses Polartec Powershield fleece. A killer jacket, good for anything but rain, very breathable and wind resistant. I like having a hood to pull up instead of a hat as i don't like to get the back of my neck chilled. That jacket took a beating on Denali and it just won't wear out.
    Jim
    4x4 Tourist

Trip reports are on my Blog: "Sun To The North"

Two Favorite Expo Quotes: "A bad day on the trail is better than a good day in the city" & "Bad days make for GREAT stories!"

pskhaat is offline Expedition Portal Moderator 2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
    Ed beat me to it, but some shorts and a t-shirt work really well for winter here.

Further North, it's either Filson, Carhartt, or Spyder all the way.
    Pskhaat (Scott)
    UZJ100 "Mama Kuiser" built to look cool for the soccer mom
    FZJ80 über rare "Geen", cloth'd & locked

Call me a sucker for the mountain lifestyle, but I have recently taken a liking to the Cloudveil lineup
    2003 4runner SR5; Bridgestone Revo A/T's 265/70/17

2001 Tacoma SR5 TRD Dbl Cab (RIP gone to the crusher)

My three season coat is a Cabela's Goretex Northern Lite - and for the moderately cold weather we see occasionally, upper teens/low twenties, I use a 300 series fleece under it. It's warm without bulk, and water/wind proof to boot.

But, for the really cold weather I break out my favorites - Minnietonka shearling slippers and a pile of wood for the stove
    I don't know what to say, but God Bless America.

I have some nice gear from mountain hardware, but lately I've been wearing a cheap walmart fleece over carhart unlined bibs. I spend a lot of time under the jeep, so there's no sense ruining anything good. edit: also polypro undies and t-shirt b/c sweat dries quicker
    Last edited by BigAl; 11-14-2007 at 10:18 PM.
    My Jeep

Taj-Mah-Al 6x10-Cargo-Trailer

Proud member of the Appalachian Ridgerunner Supreme Expedition Squad A.R.S.E.S.

Carhart canvas jacket/overalls, LL Bean wool shirt, fleece lined jeans, thick wool socks, and Carhart boots. If it gets too cold for that combo, I also have an LL Bean wool w/fleece lined sweater. Also, the usual assortment of wool hats/scarves/gloves, etc. And if it gets too cold for all that.......someplace with a hot drink, my girl friend/other friends, a fireplace, and good food.
    I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert

http://clarkwhite.smugmug.com/

Here in FL I Love my chaco sandals, Jeans, Arc-Teryx sweater, and a t-shirt.

Aaron

It varies depending on the activity and weather conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by LC/LR4Life
    So what's your favorite duds for autumn and winter months. North Face fleece here is a staple for me. Cabelas and LL Bean popular as well.

Anyone used the Cabelas Berber Fleece line?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast