Favorite Winter duds

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
There was a thread about legendary gear - perhaps this goes better there...

My Arc-Teryx Theta AR shell - worth every over priced penny.

The AMAZING Mountain Hardware Compressor - I have been in a t-shirt and 08 degree temps with wind howling off the Whittier, Alaska coast and this jacket was all I needed. Unzip it and it's light weight makes it the perfect grab and go jacket up to the high 30's

Last edited:

lowenbrau

Explorer
I wear a polar fleece jacket for most of the winter here and toss a Carhartt chore coat over it if it gets colder than -10C. It doesn't happen often but I have a down filled coat I'll wear if the mercury drops below -25C.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Schattenjager said:
There was a thread about legendary gear - perhaps this goes better there...

My Arc-Teryx Theta AR shell - worth every over priced penny.

The AMAZING Mountain Hardware Compressor - I have been in a t-shirt and 08 degree temps with wind howling off the Whittier, Alaska coast and this jacket was all I needed. Unzip it and it's light weight makes it the perfect grab and go jacket up to the high 30's

Oh I have a theta AR but dont get to wear it much, though it doubles as a pricey rain jacket.

Aaron

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Just noticed this thread for the first time. I usually rock some REI fleece pants under my Spyder coaching bibs with Patagonia capilene (don't tell spyder) under at least two other layers of spyder fleece and another light layer (depending on how cold) with a spyder out layer jacket (either an insulator, parka, or when really cold, down jacket). Also a thin and thicker pair of Smart Wool socks and I can usually last out the worse of the windy and -30 to -40 weather for 7-8 hours at a time. No exposed skin kiddies!:victory: Also by layering up, I can shed layers and adjust with changing weather and/or physical exertion.

Here's an example of a -30F day, top of Lake Louise, Alberta
n693311990_543648_1145.jpg

or sometimes when my luggage gets lost at the Munich airport, I end up rocking some street clothes and whatever jacket was in my carry on! ha ha

024.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online