Favorite Winter duds

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
So what's your favorite duds for autumn and winter months. North Face fleece here is a staple for me. Cabelas and LL Bean popular as well.

Anyone used the Cabelas Berber Fleece line?

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Usually a cotton t-shirt and maybe a long sleeve LL Bean "chamois" shirt...if it's really cold (45˚) :D

safari.gif

teotwaki

Excelsior!
In (burning) SoCal right now it isn't really cold in the winter here..... however I do get into the mountains a fair amount so I know what "cold" means.

In cold weather I need a few days to acclimate. I like long sleeve zip neck tops that I can adjust to vent for physical activity. My favorite next layer is a Mountain Hardwear vest using Gore Windstopper. It protects me from chilly breezes but I won't overheat. I usually wear lightweight long pants, hiking/cargo style with pockets and made of synthetic. For colder weather I have pants made of Scholler extreme fabric; very breathable, water repellent and tough. Sometimes I'll use a fleece hat and thin polypro gloves.

I also have a Arcteryx jacket (Gamma MX hoody) that uses Polartec Powershield fleece. A killer jacket, good for anything but rain, very breathable and wind resistant. I like having a hood to pull up instead of a hat as i don't like to get the back of my neck chilled. That jacket took a beating on Denali and it just won't wear out.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Ed beat me to it, but some shorts and a t-shirt work really well for winter here.

Further North, it's either Filson, Carhartt, or Spyder all the way.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
My three season coat is a Cabela's Goretex Northern Lite - and for the moderately cold weather we see occasionally, upper teens/low twenties, I use a 300 series fleece under it. It's warm without bulk, and water/wind proof to boot.

But, for the really cold weather I break out my favorites - Minnietonka shearling slippers and a pile of wood for the stove :)

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I have some nice gear from mountain hardware, but lately I've been wearing a cheap walmart fleece over carhart unlined bibs. I spend a lot of time under the jeep, so there's no sense ruining anything good.:) edit: also polypro undies and t-shirt b/c sweat dries quicker

Last edited:

Clark White

Explorer
Carhart canvas jacket/overalls, LL Bean wool shirt, fleece lined jeans, thick wool socks, and Carhart boots. If it gets too cold for that combo, I also have an LL Bean wool w/fleece lined sweater. Also, the usual assortment of wool hats/scarves/gloves, etc. And if it gets too cold for all that.......someplace with a hot drink, my girl friend/other friends, a fireplace, and good food.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
It varies depending on the activity and weather conditions.

LC/LR4Life said:
So what's your favorite duds for autumn and winter months. North Face fleece here is a staple for me. Cabelas and LL Bean popular as well.

Anyone used the Cabelas Berber Fleece line?

Desertoutpost

Adventurer
San Diego is a bone chilling 83 degrees right now...

So I would have to say my winter garb is my favorite board shorts, flip~flops and a tank!

So to those that have snow :oops:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Carharts for work, but my favorite are my Cabela's Windstopper sweaters. Man those things are toasty and often all I need if the temps stay above the 20s.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I have various MEC articles, shirts, pants, long underwear, hat, gloves etc, I really like MEC stuff. My Canada Goose parka, and Baffin winter boots are pulled out on really cold days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles