the cost-effective and more water resistant alternative to Goal Zero portable power

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Interesting I guess but not much of a comparison to Goal Zero products.

Did anyone say anything about a "comparison"? It is simply a video that may be helpful to some folks wanting to build a portable 12 volt power source without spending a lot.

dstock

Explorer
Did anyone say anything about a "comparison"? It is simply a video that may be helpful to some folks wanting to build a portable 12 volt power source without spending a lot.

Ah..you did in your title "the cost-effective and more water resistant alternative to Goal Zero portable power"? "more water resistant" than what....Goal zero? Is that not a comparison? Title is misleading versus the content, I thought I would be looking at a thread that might offer up a similar solution to Goal Zero products which can get expensive for sure, but it's really a thread about a battery in a box.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Ah..you did in your title "the cost-effective and more water resistant alternative to Goal Zero portable power"? "more water resistant" than what....Goal zero? Is that not a comparison? Title is misleading versus the content, I thought I would be looking at a thread that might offer up a similar solution to Goal Zero products which can get expensive for sure, but it's really a thread about a battery in a box.

I have neither a vested interest nor made any promises of the content of the thread.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
That video spurred me on to do something with my#24 battery from my boat and my#27 battery box from my pile of spare stuff. I think it is a great idea, as it was something I was thinking about prior to seeing the video. I recently moved and auctioned most of my tools, so I was waiting until the spirit moved. Now it has. Installing a marine 12V receptacle ( a lot like the metal one in the video, but a Blue Sea that has a locking plug, and a soft plug to keep the water out when not in use) All the connections will be soldered and shrink wrapped to keep the battery gas fumes at bay. In addition, there will be a pair of 5/16" bolts sticking out that can have alligator clips or ring terminals put on them for power for other things, like a bilge pump, a hot water shower, temporary lighting, etc.
I wil be keeping the battery box bottom solid ( as opposed to drilling some drain holes) so I can put it in my vehicles with less probability of "aciding" the carpet. Charging will be via a regular charger with the top removed, or by connection to my Anderson coupling via cables, or a trickle unit if time/location permit.

Picts to follow\

Thanks black_zj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke