Quote Originally Posted by crawler#976
    you cant forget the free shipping
    -Lindsay
    2003 Toyota Tacoma D-Cab 4X4 TRD S/C'd
    1994 Toyota FJ80 Landcruiser
    2008 Arctic Cat 700 4X4 Diesel
    2008 Yamaha WR250R
    "this isn't a job... its an expedition"

I had one of those 8000 lb champion winches. pure junk! I used it a fair amount but on my sidekick so a fairly light load. the motor packed it in and then when I went to pull it off both bolts snapped off in the housing! Nice!

so I sold it for parts and am now getting a WARN.
    1987 Toyota landcruiser HJ61(sold)
    1986 suzuki samurai LWB (SOLD)
    2012 dodge ram 1500 4x4 not very overlandish

Talking Save your money and buy quality!

Quote Originally Posted by RoundOut
    I am VERY tempted to purchase this setup, since it has ALL the stuff I need for a portable recovery winch setup at a VERY reasonable price.
    I did not own one personally but have some experience with them through our local 4x4 club. One member in our local club has gone through 3 of these in the 8000 lb model in 3 years. They are slow and fail at the worse possible time. All I can say is everytime we go out now, the guys with the Warn winches end up doing all the recovery work. I'll echo what others have said, don't waste your money!

Quote Originally Posted by expeditionswest
    Spend your money to support the companies that build quality and innovate, or we will end up with little quality gear left. IMHO you are better off without a winch than one of those. It will not likely work when you need it, and instill a false sense of security.

Wait for the $599 Warn M8000.
    Ditto! The Warn M8000 is a very nice unit.

Cheers,
    P

For what its worth even though I said it might not be "that bad" I personally will only buy Warn and overkill at that, I run a 12K.. I have killed two 8K warns and a 6K on a light Nissan, a 8274 motor, M8000 clutch pack, and M6000 motor... This was all back east where you regularly encounter a muddy or spring-soaked section of trail 300-500 yards long, yielding deep mud with zero traction, so you have to winch up the whole section...

I actually consider the M8000 particularly a fairly light duty winch.. After a year or two of serious regular winching unfortunately it will probably fail too. For 2-3 good episodes of winching a year or less (I find I hardly ever have use my winch out west) it will be probably be fine even on a heavier rig.

Even high quality winches do so-so, again comes down to how often and how you have to use it but it is nice to know that your winch is solid as a rock and totally reliable.. And safe...

That said we installed a T Max winch the other day (also cheap Chinese - but higher quality and its own unique brand) and it was pretty decent quality at least as far as housing and cosmetics in my opinion... Also I believe there is a new budget Warn lineup...

Quote Originally Posted by crawler#976
    Not necessarily cruel, just ruthlessly efficient in pointing out errors...
    Agreed but they can be particularly cruel.. I have been on Pirate since '02, I think over 4500 posts.. Probably less than 200 in the last two years... Great tech and cutting edge especially on manufacturers products.. But the community there has really gone down the tubes IMO, and there is a lot of "newbie bashing." Even in the safe newbie section they created...

I also have been wanting a winch, I also have a Jeep and I need to keep the airflow moving along as I have a 3 core radiator. Will the Warn 8000 be low enough to permit good air flow?
    Thanks for the info.

Steve

Here's my Jeep setup, Warn 8000 on a Collins Brothers winchplate with a Smittybilt SCR front bumper. I've had it now for 6 months and even when the temps were in the high 90s and sitting in what passes for traffic here, I've never had the temp guage go up. I've only had to use it 3 times so far, Pulling the neighbors mothers car out of a yard, and winching two trees out of our creek (didn't want to bring the dozer down for a couple of small trees). I've been planning to mount the control box under the hood, but you know how that goes.

Well, looks like and sounds like the Warn will fit and work just fine.
    Thanks so much..

I have an ancient warn that still runs with no problems. I am planning on a New Warn this year, so have started setting aside money in small doses the wife won't notice. I'm planning on either the M12000 or the M15000. If my 25yr old winch is any indication of what I can expect from a new one i'm sold.

Of course I do have a bulldog winch on my other jeep that I bought from a local shop that I have beat on pretty good and it still lives up to my needs. Was a lot less pricey than a Warn.

I'm on an anti-China boycott so I won't do it myself. A lot of folks in Idaho are running Tmax winches. They seem to be a pretty decent quality unit. I only know of one that was taken back and it turns out it was operator error but they didn't charge him shipping either way. These can be purchased at Summit Racing under their name for pretty cheap. You can buy a 10k for $524. These are not the low low quality of the Champion or even Milemarker electrics, they are actually a decent winch. I'm holding out for another Warn or a Ramsey. I can't support a communist country with slave labor with the elite getting rich off of the process.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast